Does Anyone Have A Pet Who Had To Have A Leg Amputated?

Michelleva

Morning everyone,

I'm interested to know if anyone has had a dog or cat who had to have a limb amputated? What was the recovery like? How were they when they came home, did you need to help them get around etc?

I have a little rescue cat, this is her story http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/242383-my-gorgeous-new-girl-destiny/ And on Tuesday she's booked in to have one of her back legs amputated. She's got nerve damage in the foot and we have battled on for the last 6 weeks with infections and its just not improving. The toes completely fold under the foot when she walks, so its only giving her problems. I know she will be better off, but it was a hard decision to make.

I haven't had an animal with an amputation but I have worked with dogs and cats that have had them done and they are surprisingly quick to adjust to a missing leg!

I've seen some up and about a day or two after surgery giving it a red hot go, so I wouldn't worry too much. I think, unlike with people, as they have no emotional reaction, they just adjust because they have to :shrug:

All the best with it :)

I had a foxie foster who a broken back leg as a baby that was never treated. As a result she couldnt use it and it wasnt fixable by the time she came into care. She was used to only being on 3 legs so her mobility was improved as soon as she was out of the anesthetic. She was amazing to watch and could outrun all of my other dogs. It was an easy trouble free recovery.

That said if Destiny's infection issues have cleared up she still may have a chance of recovery. Years ago we had a kitten that was hit by a car and sustained fractures. He also showed nerve damage with his toes of one foot curled under and alot of wastage. He was kept inside. the foot was padded at times to protect the skin on the top of his foot. Slowly over about 6mths his use returned and he regained full use of the leg.

So there are a couple of examples of either choice. I wouldnt hesitate to amputate if that is what is needed, it really depends on her injuries and individual circumstance.

Edited by gillbear

Thanks my vet is not one to rush into surgery, but he agrees we need to do something, as its hindering her movement. This morning she walked behind the TV and fell down the back of the cabinet, she was hanging on with her front legs and couldn't get back up. :cry: She's just so clumsy with the leg, she falls off the scratching post, off chairs and stuff like that. I hope that improves once the problematic leg is removed.

Michelleva- Amputation always sounds much worse than it is.

Our huge Deerhound had his front leg amputated due to bone cancer and he was up walking the day after surgery and a week later he was running around as though nothing had happened. The operation site healed very quickly. He went on happily for 6 months on 3 legs but very sadly the cancer had spread to his lungs.

I'm sure little Destiny will adjust easily to 3 legs - she is one tough cat and she has you to love her :) .

Michelleva- Amputation always sounds much worse than it is.

Our huge Deerhound had his front leg amputated due to bone cancer and he was up walking the day after surgery and a week later he was running around as though nothing had happened. The operation site healed very quickly. He went on happily for 6 months on 3 legs but very sadly the cancer had spread to his lungs.

I'm sure little Destiny will adjust easily to 3 legs - she is one tough cat and she has you to love her :) .

Thats a great recovery Sparky, I know Destiny will be fine and you're right she sure is a tough cookie.

Fleming had his left hind leg amputated about 4 years ago. He came in as a foster who had been pretty badly treated, and his leg had been injured and left for dog-knows how long.

For the first day he was very sore and sorry for himself, and the bruising was awful. He was entire at the time and his poor testicles were swollen and bruised as well. However within a few days he was up and about with no problems.

Now, you can hardly tell he's got 3 legs, and people are really shocked when they find out, particularly when they've seen him racing across the park chasing a ball and out-running most other dogs :laugh:

As Aussie3 said, they don't have an emotional attachment, so once the physical recovery is done they're fine. Fleming is actually a lot better off now as he was in so much pain with his gammy leg.

Best of luck to you and Destiny

Edited by MadWoofter

Morning everyone,

I'm interested to know if anyone has had a dog or cat who had to have a limb amputated? What was the recovery like? How were they when they came home, did you need to help them get around etc?

Dogs, and even moreso, cats do extremely well on 3 healthy legs, to the point that sometimes visitors do not even realise the pet is missing a leg.

We have had a couple of dogs doing agility on three legs.

I have had feline patients that have been tree climbers on three legs.

It is, however, important to realise that the three remaining legs must be healthy. And, perhaps, in their older age, you may choose euthanasia a little earlier if arthritis develops in any of the remaining limbs.

Cheers,

I don't know of any pets that have had a limb amputated,but I want to share this video with you of my friends little 6 week old Australian terrier puppy from her latest litter...he was born missing one of his front legs. Here little Sparrow is having fun playing with her beautiful Aussie Shepherd Molly :) As you can see, he is moving well,even running at one stage & seems to be coping fine...I believe pets adapt very well. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

we have a cat who is now 3 legged. she was run over by the fully laden patrol... while just nosing it in to the workshop.

it was a leg she had previously broken, and would have been 4k... and more if infection set in. so we opted for amputation.

she is not an inside cat she lives in the workshop... and was back out on mice patrol within a month... she is slick now and goes out in the paddocks hunting... :rofl:

I don't know of any pets that have had a limb amputated,but I want to share this video with you of my friends little 6 week old Australian terrier puppy from her latest litter...he was born missing one of his front legs. Here little Sparrow is having fun playing with her beautiful Aussie Shepherd Molly :) As you can see, he is moving well,even running at one stage & seems to be coping fine...I believe pets adapt very well. :)

Isn't that just amazing. I love how the big dog doesn't treat him any differently that a four-legged version. He's certainly full of spunk. When I saw Destiny walk properly on her foot this morning I thought maybe I'm jumping the gun and given more time it might come good. But it still looks nasty, and honestly she'll be better off without it. No more tears from me, I'll just be happy when she can really start getting up to mischief.

Thanks for everyone's input its really helped, as I was really stressed out about the whole thing. The decision was only made yesterday, and us mere humans do take time to come to terms with change sometimes, at least I do. I can really learn alot from these animals, they are just simply amazing.

She just walked past me with the toes out as they should be.. now thats confusing. :confused: I will be watching her closely today.

What other treatments have you tried ,nerve issues can take months to settle.

For unless amputation was the only option i would be getting bowen massage done regularly .

I had a dog with nerve issues & it took 6 months for major use to return & that involved physio(to minimize muscle wastage) .

We opted for this route as in his case the only other option was PTS .

We have boarded/groomed a few dogs with legs removed & found they all coped well until old age & then they struggled far more .

I gave had both a cat and xl dog with rear leg amputations.

Didnt bother either of them in the slightest. Recovery was non existent. The cat bounced from the carrier the day after. Dog took about 12 hours more to work out lying down and getting up then nothing.

It was much harder on me. !

Gosh..hard call ..as , yes, nerve damage can take months & months .

I also know just how worrying it is, and the damage which can be done due to no sensation :(

as to recovery ?

I do think it's worse for the owner ;)

Of course there is a large wound ..and also a need to rebalance /co ordinate limbs .. but they seem to cope really well :) I have not ever owned one.. but have seen quite a few, including a stud dog I worked with ..he had a front leg taken off due to cancer ..and aside from falling over when he used to lift the wrong leg to pee... he hardly noticed it after a few days :) It looked horrific to us tho !

I think they feel more comfortable immediately ..with pain/awkwardness gone ... :)

Edited by persephone

I have an 18yo cat who lost a back leg due to being crushed in a rabbit trap at about 5yo. The night he came home from the vets minus the leg he went into a cupboard, slept for about 2 days, and walked out a near acting normal cat except he moves like a rabbit. He can't wear a collar as his front leg goes through when he jumps. Good luck