You Know You Have Been Doing Rescue Too Long When

Dog Rescue Humour:

YOU KNOW YOU'VE BEEN DOING ANIMAL RESCUE TOO LONG WHEN....

1. You have a mental list of people you'd like to spay, neuter or euthanize.

2. You stopped at a house with a "Free Puppies" sign in the yard to have an Educational "Chat," and end up taking all the Pups.

3. Running out of paper towels is a household crisis.

4. You not only KNOW all the characteristics of a good "stool," you discuss them at dinner.

5. You have a bumper sticker that reads "My PUG Is Smarter Than Your Graduate Student."

6. when you see someone walking their dog you check to see if he’s neutered.

7. You mistakenly call your kids Dr a Vet.

8. You absentmindedly pat people on the head or scratch them behind their ears.

9. You not only allow pets on the couch, guests have to sit on the floor because the dog has "territorial issues."

10. Your spouse without question sleeps on the couch so the new foster can sleep in the bed to feel safe and secure.

11. You and your vet are on a first name basis and he genuflects when you enter the waiting room. His daughter at Harvard refers to you as "Auntie."

12. You needed a prescription to recover from "Old Yeller."

13. You've forwarded more warnings about the dangers of chocolate, onions and mistletoe than the National Center for Disease Control has issued about anthrax and smallpox

14. You wear white year 'round, not because you are flaunting a fashion law or belong to a religious sect but because it is BLEACHABLE.

15. You car is always stocked with Leashes and treats in case you see a stray.

16. You tell your children to "heel!" in a grocery store.

17. For relaxation, you went mall hopping with your girlfriends. Your eyes glazed over when you saw a sign in front of a pet shop, "20% Off All Puppies & Kittens," and you slapped three security guards before they got you safely contained in the manager's office.

18. People are still talking about your spay-neuter holiday greeting from last year, "Deck the Halls with Balls of Collies.

19. People in your neighbor hood come to you with Vet questions... because if your rescue you must have all the answers.

20. They charge you double to clean your car because of the dog hair.

21. You completely understand the first 20 things on this list... errr!

22. Your vet actually calls YOU for advice on certain diseases/conditions

I think I'm "guilty" of pretty much all of the things on the list... but I wouldn't have it any other way... *grin*

T.

I understand that fully Sheridan... I've owned intact dogs before, and been quite capable of preventing unwanted pregnancies. If I can manage it, then I'm pretty sure quite a few others can too... *grin*

I will admit though, when I see other people out with their dogs, I will instinctively notice if a male is neutered or not... but it's not exactly a conversation starter... lol!

I prefer my own dogs desexed nowadays - but that's my choice...

T.

24. When neighbourhood dogs pass away or change diets, they bequeath their worldly goods to you, the dog lady.

I often come home to find things on my doorstep. If there's a lost animal then my neighbours or work colleagues will come to me for advice, also on ailments or behaviours their pets might have.

I'm currently helping an old neighbour with a 60 kilo mastiff boy, he's had a hard life but I'm trying to help his last years be a bit more comfy. He's a dear old boy who is outside all the time without a bed so his limbs are all arthritic from lying on concrete.

Dog Rescue Humour:

1. You have a mental list of people you'd like to spay, neuter or euthanize.

:rofl: This one is definitely my favourite

17. For relaxation, you went mall hopping with your girlfriends. Your eyes glazed over when you saw a sign in front of a pet shop, "20% Off All Puppies & Kittens," and you slapped three security guards before they got you safely contained in the manager's office.

People in rescue have relaxation time? :D

I think if someone came up to me and asked if my dog was neutered, they not only be told to f%#k off, they'd get a lecture on not equating an unneutered pet with irresponsible dog ownership.

I thought it was just a funny thread :confused:

24. When neighbourhood dogs pass away or change diets, they bequeath their worldly goods to you, the dog lady. I often come home to find things on my doorstep.

This happens a lot... and I reckon it's lovely that they think of the rescue dogs so kindly in their own time of grief.

If there's a lost animal then my neighbours or work colleagues will come to me for advice, also on ailments or behaviours their pets might have.

Yep - this one happens a lot too - but you have to admit, we do see a lot of things in rescue that the average pet owner doesn't.

T.

24. When neighbourhood dogs pass away or change diets, they bequeath their worldly goods to you, the dog lady. I often come home to find things on my doorstep.

This happens a lot... and I reckon it's lovely that they think of the rescue dogs so kindly in their own time of grief.

If there's a lost animal then my neighbours or work colleagues will come to me for advice, also on ailments or behaviours their pets might have.

Yep - this one happens a lot too - but you have to admit, we do see a lot of things in rescue that the average pet owner doesn't.

T.

Absolutely, none of this is an issue for me. :)

20. They charge you double to clean your car because of the dog hair.

I'm not in rescue, but I can still relate to this one.

And I have been known to absent-mindedly tell people they need to see a Vet - when I really mean a Doctor. Ooops.