Breed Books - Best Of The Best?

Salukifan

I know when I was breed tyre kicking, I was always interested in finding GOOD books about the breeds I was interested in. Some were a bit hit and miss - often some breed specific stuff up the front and then a lot of general dog husbandry stuff that I didn't really need.

Sooo what books would you recommend about your breeds?

For Whippets - The English Whippet is to me, the best of the best. Probably the best explanation of a breed standard for ANY dog book I've read. It looks like this:

4170EV96R3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bo Bengston's Whippet book is also very good and contains a section on the breed in Australia. I did the groupie thing and got him to sign mine when he judged out here.. and I noted quite a few other Whippet folk did too. :) Here it is:

whippet-bo-bengtson-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

For Poodles - I like the "Complete" series (US books). There's a general poodle one and also a Complete Standard Poodle for lovers of the big guys. I have quite a few of the Complete series books and would recommend them a start point into any breed.

So what are other people's recommendations?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

This is the "bible" for Tollers.

Written by two of the most well known breeder/owners in Tollers, it covers all sections and is a very interesting read. I always go back to it :)

Given we have a fairly new breed, they cover the history of the breed in most countries and it's fascinating seeing the very first registered Tollers (though some aren't my cup of tea!)

Thanks for the Whippet book recommendations, I will get my Whippet one day :p

post-1761-0-32141800-1353916352_thumb.jpg

Edited by tollersowned

Thanks for posting - good idea! I'm hoping to get a second dog soon, and whippets are one of two breeds we have it narrowed down to...so I may ended up buy one (or both) of those books.

For dalmatians, can't go past the Dalmatian Club of America's book, The Official Book of the Dalmatian. Covers SOOOOO much, from breed history generally to dalmatian development in different countries. I found pics of ancestors of my girl, as there are SO many great pics. It also goes into detail on the standard, and even deviations (like lemon spotted, long haired and brindle dallies, with pics!) and also a section on their special needs re. purines. I got it for $15 too! Normally $70.

Il Pastore Maremmano-Abruzzese: Il Cane Della Transumanza

Gian Franco Gianelli

Il Pastore Maremmano-Abruzzese

Bottini Terruzzi Franca

Cani Di Razza: Il Pastore Maremmano-Abruzzese

Mario Scarpelli

Il Pastore Abruzzese

Giorgio Di Tizio

I'll post pics in edit later

It helps to be able to read Italian.

The two "bibles" for Salukis are out of print and crazily expensive. They are Vera Watkins "Saluki:Companion of Kings" and Hope Waters' "The Saluki in Art, History and Sport". I would definitely make the investment if a serious student of the breed but neither are easily accessible.

For someone new to Salukis but familiar with dog world and wanting to find out more I'd recommend "The Complete Saluki" by Diana and Ken Allen, you can get copies of it quite reasonably priced.

IMO all sighthound owners should also read Constance Miller's "Gazehounds: The Search for Truth"

For Airedale Terriers the "bible" is The complete Airedale by Gladys Brown Edwards also the New Complete Airedale published later by the same author.

There are also the breed club Year Books. The National Airedale Terrier Association in England has put one out every year since 1971. The Airedale Terrier Club of Victoria has just released their latest one which I have produced. this covers the period 1991 to 2010. These books are a great record of titles, awards and results as opposed to the books mentioned above which cover the breed as a whole, but still a valuable resource.

There are three books for wheaten terriers.

Two are by Maureen Holmes, acknowledged as the 'founder' of the breed (i.e. got the breed recognised by the Irish Kennel Club).

Her books are 'The Wheaten Terrier' and 'The Wheaten Years', this latter being an update of her first book. Admittedly, I like the cover of The Wheaten Years because it has Newkilber the Quiet Man on the cover and my Grumpy is his image.

The other one of interest is 'The Complete Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier' by Roberta Vesley, which brings in a lot of the American history. Certain wheaten afficionados turn their noses up at the American side of the history but to be a completist, it is a decent book.

post-7782-0-36438200-1353920514_thumb.jpg

post-7782-0-20328700-1353920527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sheridan

For Akitas I would recommend

Barbara Bouyet's Akita, Treasure of Japan.

And for an interesting look at the Akita's history you can't go past, Dog man An uncommon life on a faraway mountain by Martha Sherrill.

--Lhok

I know when I was breed tyre kicking, I was always interested in finding GOOD books about the breeds I was interested in. Some were a bit hit and miss - often some breed specific stuff up the front and then a lot of general dog husbandry stuff that I didn't really need.

Sooo what books would you recommend about your breeds?

For Whippets - The English Whippet is to me, the best of the best. Probably the best explanation of a breed standard for ANY dog book I've read. It looks like this:

4170EV96R3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Bo Bengston's Whippet book is also very good and contains a section on the breed in Australia. I did the groupie thing and got him to sign mine when he judged out here.. and I noted quite a few other Whippet folk did too. :) Here it is:

whippet-bo-bengtson-hardcover-cover-art.jpg

For Poodles - I like the "Complete" series (US books). There's a general poodle one and also a Complete Standard Poodle for lovers of the big guys. I have quite a few of the Complete series books and would recommend them a start point into any breed.

So what are other people's recommendations?

I have a few whippet books that I treasure. I got Mary Lowe to sign my copy of The English Whippet when she came out here. She also paid me a huge compliment when she told me my plaited show slips were exquisite, and bought several collars and a show slip from me. Sorry, couldn't help slipping that brag in. :cool:

I've got a signed copy of Bo Bengtsons The Whippet that I bought off him direct. My only disappointment there is although he charged alot to post it out, he didn't bother to pack it carefully and the corners got crushed.

I've got 2 copies of The Popular Whippet by C H Douglas Todd, one I bought from a junk shop and the other was given to me.

The Whippet by J P Moran-Healy. I think this might be out of print now.

Another incredibly lucky find was Whippets: Rearing and Racing by Pauline Wilson. I think this is a pretty rare book, but full of good information. I bought it for 5c from the Lilydale Library, I also got the Complete Lurcher by D Brian Plummer at the same price. What bargains, I was suprised such books would have even been held at the library, they looked like they'd been there a long time, obviously not borrowed enough, but I almost never go there so for me to happen to get them was a real lucky find.

Edited by Kirislin

Up until about two weeks ago the only Finnish Lapphund book in English was "Finnish Lapphund" by the English breeder and judge Toni Jackson, published by Kennel Club Books. It's a fairly general book, but rather better done than the more standard breed books, with the whole thing written with the Lappie in mind and not as general information which can be slotted into a book about any breed. The history section is very interesting and includes a lot of information that would be quite hard to find out via other sources if you speak no Finnish, and it even includes a tiny bit on the earliest Australian Lappies, which is not bad seeing as they had been in Australia for only a few years at the time of publication.

The Finnish Lapphund Club in Finland have recently published a new book and released an English translation. The English translation is called "Dogs Of Lapland - Cheerfully Present" by Sanna Karppinen, and I don't have my copy yet, but have seen a peek of it. I've heard that the translation has some room for tweaking, but the photographs are gorgeous.

One of the best books in English (or any language) for the Pyrenean Mountain Dog is Joseph B Genzel's book 'The Great Pyrenees: From France with Love'

For working LGD in general, 'Livestock Protection Dogs: Selection, Care and Training' by Orysia Dawydiak and David Sims is excellent.

I also have a (english language) booklist on my website which includes some more basic starter books for pet owners: http://www.espinay.com/booklist.cfm

Of the non English language books, 'le Chien de Montagne des Pyrenees' by A Guardamagna and 'le Montagne des Pyrenees' by Benoit Cockenpot would be my picks.

I should add that there are LOTS more books available, including some absoloutely wonderful older ones, but for anyone just starting out, the above in particular would be my suggestions.

post-5072-0-63835600-1353972880_thumb.jpg

post-5072-0-35401300-1353972915_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

The book every Aussie fanatic should have is: All About Aussies by Jeanne Joy Harnagle-Taylor

aussiescover.jpg

In Field Spaniels the "bible" is pretty much "The History and Management of the Field Spaniel" by Peggy Grayson. I've only ever borrowed my breeders as its pretty hard to find a copy of the book these days and if you do they sell for about $400 second hand.

Edited by poocow