Ticks!ticks!ticks!

dogbesotted

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the second for the season.. Gina was the first cab of the rank here.. for the first time since we moved here in 1993.. we have not had ticks until last year when battalions of bandicoots arrived.... laying tiny land mines all over my lawns and grassy areas and de[positing biological weaponry in the form of ticks...

my dogs have become walking chemical depositories to no avail

H

Hope he's home soon and feeling better!

With advantix in his system, does it mean the tick effects are less severe or anything?

he went down very quickly.. the tick we found was not completely engorged.. with the advantix it should have been dead... yesterday afternoon he was a little quieter than usual and panting a bit.. but as the day was extremely hot i thought that was why.. but at 4.45 when i went ot feed.. when he came over he was slower than usual, and when he stopped to eat at his bowl his hind quarters sort of wobbled... then he sat. I fed the other two then checked him again.. he did not want to get up so when i took is bowl he rose and wobbled towards it.. raced into to call vet.. and by the time i got back he was flat.. i had not found a tick and was starting to think snake.. but we found the bloody thing at the vets.

H

Hope HHH will be fine

I could cheerfully move somewhere there are NO ticks.

3 this year, all wearing Advantix. So much for Advantix. 2 saves, one loss. :mad What a shocking waste of a nice dog. Last tick was miniscule, but it sure packed a punch.

HHH is home .. still has a compromised gag reflex and laboured breathing when stressed.. but his lungs are clear. he has antibiotics and of course me watching over him like an enraged mother tiger.., he has water with loads of ice in it to stop him wolfing down too much at once and no food until tomorrow.

Whilst at the vets he won over everybody who met him.. acted like butter would not melt in his mouth....... until my wonderful next door neighbour ( who bravely helped load a snarling 52kgs of dog into my car yesterday) visited... they said at firt HHH's ears pricked up and he looked happy then sniffed and realised who it was and his eyes narrowed and he looked away in disgust the ungrateful wretch..

so hoping for more improvement overnight.. he still cannot use his back legs.

H

Where was the tick H?

I had the same thing happen and it was hidden in a paw.

You must check twice a day.

Why not add some Malaban or if you're game, Maldison, to your arsenal?

Its odd Advantix has not been working.

Maybe the ticks become more virulent as they move further north.

Most other living things are bigger up north.

I hope HHH recovers completely.

P.

Why not add some Malaban or if you're game, Maldison, to your arsenal?

Tralee, would you be kind enough to elaborate? We have some Maldison that we use on the chooks for lice, apparently it is good for fleas on dogs, but doesn't mention anything about ticks - does it work? And why "if you're game"? The stuff smells terrible, very chemically, is that the reason?