Minimum Age For Stud Dog

experiencedfun

I "think" in Qld. the dog has to be 9 months of age. :)

Unless you're a judge or someone else important in which case this rule is ignored :(

Well I waited till the dog was 9 months and two days and then missed the bitch by doing the correct thing. Ahhhh such is life. :rofl:

Strange that there are different regulations in different states. No age rule here in NSW for males unless they are from a breed that requires hips/elbows done first. Apart from that there is no reason that there should be an age limit. Using 8 month old dogs was common when I first came into the dog world in the early 80s. Dogs started early made the best and most reliable stud dogs. They rarely had problems getting matings in those days when everything was bred earlier.

Strange that there are different regulations in different states. No age rule here in NSW for males unless they are from a breed that requires hips/elbows done first. Apart from that there is no reason that there should be an age limit. Using 8 month old dogs was common when I first came into the dog world in the early 80s. Dogs started early made the best and most reliable stud dogs. They rarely had problems getting matings in those days when everything was bred earlier.

Yep - I can understand them wanting to wait if its a breed that needs to be certain age for some sort of testing but why don't they want young boys to mate? This is when they are most fertile .Just another example of how there isnt much left which is best for the species and another decision which is taken out of the hands of the breeder.

All this age limits was introduced I believe because of the accusing fingers being pointed at the pure bred dog world and the controlling bodies in all their WISDOM decided to get in before and be able to say Nar, nar, na, nar, nar look what we have done, you can't touch us.

Well the pointing fingers just sat back and grinned and said thanks that's just what we wanted in the first place and you did all on your own without us having to do much at all.

When will some people see they are being manipulated by those that wish to see the demise of the dog world as they perceive us.

I pray our controlling bodies will band as one and one day show some strength against those that would destroy us.

I remember reading an article about a judge in America saying (I am sure tongue in cheek) that he was not quite sure if he had due restriction over the powerful AKC.

ages on bitches are all over the map now that VCA in their wisdom and without consultation to many, brought in specific ages to some breeds, and this was NOT age at whelping but age at MATING!

I'm sitting on a young male now that will be used..I was under the impression it was 12 months, but glad to hear that I may be wrong and he is considered old enough to 'do the deed' in the eyes of our policing body registration body.

Must go dive through the muck they call 'rules' and see for sure. Naturally it'll be different for all other states...