Stupid Surrender Reasons

Some are cover stories too, my sister dumped her two dogs at the RSPCA, the excuse she gave them was "we are moving and can't take them with us", they were moving to acreage 15 minutes away. Real reason: couldn't be stuffed catering for their grooming and behavioural needs.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had one once where the owner said he'd kept peeing on her new expensive carpet... turns out that he had 2 of the worst patellas we had ever seen. Somehow I think the peeing on the carpet was not the real reason he was surrendered...

I'm not a big fan of the "we've just had a baby" brigade - but it is one of the most used reasons for surrendering. That and "we have to move and the new place won't allow dogs".

The worst is when you (as a rescuer) cop abuse for not being willing to take on a dog that the owners come straight out and say is aggressive in some way... ie. has attacked another dog or a human with little provocation.

T.

I had a lady who was surrendering her 10 year old dog who said she was moving. I then found out she was buying the house, I offered some suggestions. She then said "oh, I am not a doggy person" You had had him for 10 years!

I temp tested a gorgeous red cattle male once and could not fault him, he was such a fantastic, sensible, biddable dog. Went into the office to find out the reason for his surrender "Too loyal" Well they got that right I thought.

Agree these dogs are much better off in fabulous new homes with committed owners.

Girl at work "He has chewed all my backsteps and it's going to cost me a fortune to fix"

reason for chewing backsteps - he is around a year old blue cattle dog who has never been out of his normal size suburban backyard and they are out all the time. :cry:

I hate the lies told. A friend got a lab at an RSPCA years back. He was surrended soon before we got there and my friend fell in love. He was on the PTS list because the owner said he was a cronic fence jumper. We talked the RSPCA into letting him be adopted but they said if she came back they would PTS. Ten (or so) years on he has never jumped a fence, escaped out of a yard or actually done anything wrong. One of the nicest and well behaved dogs I have ever met.

I remember this from when I was around 12. When my uncle moved he took his beautifully natured Malamute girl to the pound and told them some lie about her being uncontrollable and vicious because he would rather her be put down than another family have her and couldn't find a vet that would put down a perfectly healthy dog. This dog was lovely, when ever I would visit them I would sit outside for hours brushing her because they obviously never did, if a 12 year old knows that you need to care for a dog I can't see how two adults don't. But then again they also had her chained up for a year because their fence fell down and they didn't fix it banghead.gif

Their ragdoll cat was locked in the Laundry at all times because they had just had a child, that cat ended up getting stuck behind the washing machine and dying.

2 months after moving, they bought an Aussie bulldog pup, was dumped a few years later because they couldn't handle it.

They also bought two new cats, they then moved again and 'accidentally' left the door open the week before and the adult blue russian and little mixed kitten where still gone on the day they went out of state, not that they tried looking for them.

Luckily I actually went pass the house a week later and found the blue boy laying in the drive way (no one else had moved in yet) took him home and found a new home for him myself, would of kept him if i wasn't allergic. I went back to the area every day but never saw the kitten.

I haven't seen them for a few years but thank god they haven't bought another animal yet. Just had more children.

Some are cover stories too, my sister dumped her two dogs at the RSPCA, the excuse she gave them was "we are moving and can't take them with us", they were moving to acreage 15 minutes away. Real reason: couldn't be stuffed catering for their grooming and behavioural needs.

yes with so many people moving the housing market should be booming!

You will never know but i would be interested in the relationship between the number of stupid excuses and pet store purchases.

Do pet stores have any process where they tell knew customer that they are buying in for the life o the animals, that the animals will depend on you, and you on it. That its not just a pet until you get sick of it?

I hate hearing the working dog excuse- that the dog would be better of on a farm or property.

Like they automatically assume that the dog would instantly make a good worker.

I'm sure some of the dogs would do quite well with the right training (and clearly be better off than with their current useless owner) however what people don't seem to understand is that most farmers don't want city dogs from uncertain breeding and with no training.

Many a working breed would be better of in a home with company, training and stimulation than on a farm where they would probably be chained up or at least restricted to a smaller area (what responsible property owner would let their dog roam around at will and possibly get onto other people's property?).

My cousins rehomed a dog to a farm and it ended up being shot a short time after :mad

I also hate the "my dog doesn't like the chickens/cat/bird etc". Have they not heard of separation? Especially with chickens, surely it is simple to build them an enclosure or keep the dog away from them? There's a lovely kelpie/lab cross in lab resuce at the moment who i have been seriously considering, who was surrendered for this reason. But seeing as I don't know where i'll be working next year, I've decided to wait.

I often think that the reason given for surrender is actually only a tiny part of the decision that has been contemplated for quite some time.

I hate hearing the working dog excuse- that the dog would be better of on a farm or property.

Like they automatically assume that the dog would instantly make a good worker.

I'm sure some of the dogs would do quite well with the right training (and clearly be better off than with their current useless owner) however what people don't seem to understand is that most farmers don't want city dogs from uncertain breeding and with no training.

I think people have a strange notion that if you dump the dog on a large property with lots of space, it will magically self-exercise and self-enrich. Annoys me a lot ...

You will never know but i would be interested in the relationship between the number of stupid excuses and pet store purchases.

Do pet stores have any process where they tell knew customer that they are buying in for the life o the animals, that the animals will depend on you, and you on it. That its not just a pet until you get sick of it?

No Jimmy, it's all about selling the goods before their use by date - ie around 4 months of age.

I receive a lot of calls and have discussions with people who are getting rid of their pet shop bought dogs, dumpage of them is huge, I can assure you. Most were bought on a whim - not all, there are some good homes with petshops dogs.

Petshops are bad news, they should not sell live animals but should recommend rescuing an animal - dogs will always need rescuing for one reason or another - death, illness, loss of job etc etc. They should also recommend going to breeders for puppies ...

They can still sell goods but just not live animals.

Edited by dogmad

Saw another charming one yesterday, on the notice board at the vet was an a for an 8 year old yellow lab, they want to find him a home because they have moved to a rural property with no fences. I resisted the urge to ring them and enlighten them that fences aren't part of the natural landscape, humans are actually able to build fences it's not hard if I can do it anyone can.