What Breed

DobieMum

We're looking for a breed of dog for my daughter. I have Dobermanns and they're rough, so little dogs have proven to be out. My daughter is a tall 11 year old and was training with agility and lure coursing. We're after ideas of what sort of breed of dog to get her. Something that doesn't mind the rough and tumble of the Dobies, but something that a kid (with myself and other adults supervise) can train (something that doesn't need too much encouragement, as she doesn't get physically excited - as she gets embarrassed - even though me and her instructor tell her otherwise). What does the DOL forum suggest.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An Aust Cattle Dog which has been bred for temperament. Play style will match the Dobes, will bond and give its all to her, lots of sensible drive without silliness. She won't need to be the motivator, a tennis ball is all that's needed.

An overlooked breed because of the behavior people often witness at shows, but a good one is a once in a lifetime dog

If she is keen on the lure coursing a Whippet could do that and agility. If she is leaning more towards agility a Border Collie would be perfect. I rarely recommend my own breed but they are easily trained by kids from that age if they are from a dog savvy family who are used to a demanding breed,

I don't really understand why you can't train the Dobes to be gentle with the smaller dog. I have an aussie with shelties and although it has been a lot of work she knows rough housing with them is out so they have modified their play. Aussies are extremely rough and tumble but Nova is my 3rd one and with supervision is fine.

If she is keen on the lure coursing a Whippet could do that and agility. If she is leaning more towards agility a Border Collie would be perfect. I rarely recommend my own breed but they are easily trained by kids from that age if they are from a dog savvy family who are used to a demanding breed,

Are BCs 'playing' dogs though to go with the dobes? The ones I've seen at the park and herding have been quite aloof and just focussed on their handler - are they different in their home environment?

Aussie shepherd sprung to mind for the agility, not sure about the lure coursing tho.

Edited by TheLBD

Dals! They can't get too excioted over anything other than dinner.

My 2 get so rough skin flyes, and hair at times but its all play. They might as well be the cartoon character goofy.... Not smart but boy for the right food reward Leo will beg to be bathed and hair dried.... Most of time he sleeps on the couch with the other dal Sophie, who thinks if they leave the couch it will leave and run off into the distance without them. :banghead:

Although they have been told the couch will never leave! :laugh:

Edited by voloclydes

What is the issue with the Dobes? Does your daughter not like them or are they too difficult for her to manage? If they are too difficult to manage you will need to consider this in your choice of breed and perhaps go with a smaller, easier to manage breed, rather than a dog of equal size but different breed.

Not sure that a Dal would be the best choice for a child to train. Awesome dogs and trainable, yes! But they do require more patience and creativity in my experience as they don't have that natural focus. Saw the suggestion of a Springer - they tend to have a soft, low down playing style even when at their most feral (happening before my eyes lol) and my Dally is very gentle with them. Certainly the working line ESS have a lot of drive but without something to engage them may be tempted to self reward and go a-hunting bunnies and birds.

Edited by The Spotted Devil