Need Advice Please

Cougar

So, our neighbour's cat has been caught in our yard a number of times up until now. We have previously warned the neighbour that our dogs will hurt the cat should they catch it (she didn't seem overly concerned for the cat's welfare it has to be said). Dog caught cat this morning - the cat is injured and has taken off, I cannot find it. Neighbour will not be home until later,I need to tell her what's happened obviously. I don't know whether to go and talk to her as soon as she's home, to leave a note outlining what's happened and ask her to come and see me - or something else. She seems a little volatile and I don't want to catch her when she's having drama with the kids (this happens a bit for what its worth).

How would you approach this situation?

(and I feel sick about it all, its awful :( )

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, tough situation :( I'd probably be inclined to leave a note saying that cat was unfortunately injured, you're not sure how badly as he ran off and you haven't been able to find him, you'd like to help look for him she wants you to...

If she sees a note as soon as she gets home (stuck to the door or something?) then she will know straight away and can deal with it and the kids/whatever else she has has to do as she sees fit. You going over there if she's stressed and juggling kids through the door might make things worse but you don't want to wait and leave her not knowing.

I don't know, definitely tough :(

Oh no, tough situation :( I'd probably be inclined to leave a note saying that cat was unfortunately injured, you're not sure how badly as he ran off and you haven't been able to find him, you'd like to help look for him she wants you to...<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);"><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">If she sees a note as soon as she gets home (stuck to the door or something?) then she will know straight away and can deal with it and the kids/whatever else she has has to do as she sees fit. You going over there if she's stressed and juggling kids through the door might make things worse but you don't want to wait and leave her not knowing. <br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);"><br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">I don't know, definitely tough :(

tend to agree. Hope the cat is not too badly injured, and that things go OK.

I would ring council first and check your dogs are not in danger over this ( i know it sounds odd, and i think its not your fault, but council have odd rules),before i would go admitting anything.

If you can find the cat and get it to the vet i would, but if in reality it has gone off to die you need to think about your dogs, callous as it may sound.

I have new neighbours with 2 cats, and i told her the first day if they come into my yard they won't leave, they are apparently house cats and not allowed out, one cost her over $1000, must be a an odd housecat, as everytime i go out the front it is either under my car or hedge. :(

Edited by juice

tough situation. See if you can find the cat and take it to a vet maybe?? Do you know where she works? I'd be telling her ASAP if I knew I could- also tell her direct rather than a note on the door. (but I can understand if you can't do either of those things).

Goodluck!!! I am feeling for you right now!

How awful for you, Cougar, and poor cat. I agree with leaving a note, keep it brief, and perhaps put in something (gently) about "despite previous warnings"......

I hope he/she is not seriously injured and comes home for treatment.

IMO, I think you need to reiterate that you have warned her because she might try to make you pay for the cat's injuries if they require treatment.

Bit different but: My cat is "free range" but rarely leaves the yard. People used to walk their dog off leash passed my place, dog had no recall and they used to think it funny that he would run into my yard and chase Gussy Cat. They were very politely told to control their dog and that Gussy was old and didn't need that sort of aggrevation.

However, if Gussy was wandering into a yard where there were dogs who could possible harm her and I had been warned about and I allowed this to happen, then I would be responsible for any damage and irresponsible as to the needs and welfare of my cat.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Thanks. I have looked for the cat but no luck as yet. I guess I feel that a note seems like avoidance but it may let her deal with it when it suits her, that sounds odd but you know what I mean.

Hadn 't contemplated the council thing, will have a think about that as well. Her cat has been injured before, I saw it a few moths back with a half shaven back and stitches. And still she doesn't keep it inside - I think it wrecks the house or something.

I will keep looking for the cat, poor thing.

I would ring council first and check your dogs are not in danger over this ( i know it sounds odd, and i think its not your fault, but council have odd rules),before i would go admitting anything.

If you can find the cat and get it to the vet i would, but if in reality it has gone off to die you need to think about your dogs, callous as it may sound.

I have new neighbours with 2 cats, and i told her the first day if they come into my yard they won't leave, they are apparently house cats and not allowed out, one cost her over $1000, must be a an odd housecat, as everytime i go out the front it is either under my car or hedge. :(

I agree with this. She knew not to let the cat in your yard and obviously didn't care enough to try.

If it meant the possibility of my dog being in trouble, I wouldn't even tell her.

When i was little a man around the corner had a cat that would routinely come and tease our neighbour's GSD from the gate post. Our neighbour would chase it off daily and went and spoke to the owner quite a few times to no avail. One day his GSD grabbed the cat off the post and killed it. He had called the council previously asking what would happen if his dog killed the cat, the council said they could take it to court if they wanted to. So he buried the cat and never told the guy. The man who owned the cat didn't even put up 'lost' posters or anything :(

As callas as it sounds, don't say anything. It was her fault and she sounds like the type of person that may make trouble for you.

Edited by mixeduppup

Try to find the cat and seek vet treatment if you can... DON'T tell the neighbour anything unless you have found the cat and arranged for it's treatment first. If the cat dies from it's injuries and never comes home, then the neighbour will blame you and your dogs for it forever.

My neighbour's cat got into my dog pen a few years back - I let them know of the issue and asked which vet they wanted me to take the cat to. Cat didn't survive, and neighbour started a campaign to try to have my dogs declared dangerous - and when that didn't work, she started baiting them. One of my dogs didn't survive the baiting, and another was hospitalised, but recovered.

If your neighbour is likely to become volatile, don't say anything about the cat...

T.

Just spoke to council, ranger said that as cat was on our property that we're in the clear. She said it was state legislation here (vic), that if our animals were safely contained in our yard and the cat (or dog as the case may be) came into our property then our dogs will be ok.

I hate this :( Being legally ok doesn't make me feel any better about the cat.

Thanks for your help.

When i was little a man around the corner had a cat that would routinely come and tease our neighbour's GSD from the gate post. Our neighbour would chase it off daily and went and spoke to the owner quite a few times to no avail. One day his GSD grabbed the cat off the post and killed it. He had called the council previously asking what would happen if his dog killed the cat, the council said they could take it to court if they wanted to. So he buried the cat and never told the guy. The man who owned the cat didn't even put up 'lost' posters or anything :(

As callas as it sounds, don't say anything. It was her fault and she sounds like the type of person that may make trouble for you.

Today if a cat comes into your yard and your dog kills it, it's bad luck and the owner can do nothing as cats are not allowed to wander just like dogs. I also would say nothing, how do you know what the neighbour might do to your dog as payback.

Today if a cat comes into your yard and your dog kills it, it's bad luck and the owner can do nothing as cats are not allowed to wander just like dogs. I also would say nothing, how do you know what the neighbour might do to your dog as payback.

That seems much better. Glad they've tightened the regulations. Some of my friends have had their dogs baited and it's possibly the worst thing that they've been through. People can be jerks if they perceive an imaginary injustice.

I would also check with council first. Cats are an iffy issue, every council seems to deal with them differently. You are lucky if your dog is not a bull breed but I would still enquire as to how they deal with these circumstances. I have heard of a dog being declared dangerous for injuring and killing cats that entered its yard.

Alas, the dog owner were A**wipes so the dog ended up dumped at the pound and PTS since they did not want to foot the bill for the DD set-up. Not saying this will happen to your dog but you can never be too careful in protecting your own dogs.

I would also enquire anonymously...

ETA: I just found the second page. Maybe saying nothing would indeed be the best course of action.... Not nice but better than the alternatives IMO

Edited by BlackJaq

My council has a cat curfew (dusk til dawn) but they are allowed out during the day.

Part of my problem is that she was just so apathetic about the potential risk - when my husband warned her about the situation she just didn't seem bothered, like if the cat were to die if wouldn't be a big problem. If you don't want your cat anymore then go and rehome or take it to a shelter or something, don't just let it wander about and cause trouble and get hurt. Arrrgghhhh people :(