Need Advice Please

Cougar

Bamboo, as a long time owner of cats that have an outside cattery that they are free to come and go to as they like, let me assure you, the cats are fine. You can include sunny and shady spots, put up high areas for them to sit on etc. I used the area between the fence and kitchen, there is often a "dead" area that can easily be turned into a cattery. Add in a catflap/window and there you have it. Mine has been up for around 19 years now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so glad for the outcome of this situation Cougar. I love cats as much as dogs and I get distressed over the amount of them I see wandering our streets, climbing in and out of drains and gutters etc.

My cat is allowed outside unsupervised but she's been trained to not leave our backyard. She's quite content to potter around in our back gardens and has never once escaped. I love that she doesn't need to be confined to a cat run, however, we she of the wandering type, she'd be in a run for sure. I hate roaming cats and I'd never let any of my cats add to the nuisance problem.

There's even one house up the road who has their cat's bowls on their front patio and feeds them outside. :confused:

We have had visits from our local council explaining to our clinic staff the regulations regarding cats. They told us that there are no laws regarding roaming cats like there are dogs and subsequently people technically aren't allowed to pick up cats they perceive to be roaming strays. The only circumstances where someone can collect and hand in a cat as a stray is if it's a threat to the person and/or their pets.

This isn't to say a dog owner is responsible if a neighbours cat enters their property, but according to our council rangers, cats CAN legally wander.

That's odd. Our local council hires out cat traps so nuisance cats can be caught and taken to the pound. If they're feral they're euthed immediately, but if they're chipped or reasonably well behaved they have a chance of going home or being rehomed. Council can't keep up with the demand for traps!

Bamboo, as a long time owner of cats that have an outside cattery that they are free to come and go to as they like, let me assure you, the cats are fine. You can include sunny and shady spots, put up high areas for them to sit on etc. I used the area between the fence and kitchen, there is often a "dead" area that can easily be turned into a cattery. Add in a catflap/window and there you have it. Mine has been up for around 19 years now.

That does sound like a good setup for your cats Rebanne. I shall have to see how I go in my possibly catless future and seriously consider such options if I succumb to the charms of a new kitten. A setup such as yours would also allow for cats to have a dog free area which could be useful. My old boy is really over my 18 month old border so we have to be considerate of his needs and ensure he can always access a refuge.

When i was little a man around the corner had a cat that would routinely come and tease our neighbour's GSD from the gate post. Our neighbour would chase it off daily and went and spoke to the owner quite a few times to no avail. One day his GSD grabbed the cat off the post and killed it. He had called the council previously asking what would happen if his dog killed the cat, the council said they could take it to court if they wanted to. So he buried the cat and never told the guy. The man who owned the cat didn't even put up 'lost' posters or anything :(

As callas as it sounds, don't say anything. It was her fault and she sounds like the type of person that may make trouble for you.

Today if a cat comes into your yard and your dog kills it, it's bad luck and the owner can do nothing as cats are not allowed to wander just like dogs. I also would say nothing, how do you know what the neighbour might do to your dog as payback.

This is incorrect in NSW. Cats are legally allowed to wander and there is no offense for them entering your yard. However the OP's situation would not be considered an attack in NSW as the legislation specifically states that there is no offense committed if the incident occurs as the result of a person or animal entering the property without permission.

Where in the Companion Animals Act 1998 does it say cats are legally allowed to wander - it doesn't. You might want to read section 31 Nuisance cats as this is exactly the problem the OP has. As I said if a cat enters your property and your dog kills it, it's just bad luck.

Also cats are required by law to wear a collar with an Identification tag at all times, but how many cat owners do this.

I've read the NSW Companion Animals Act many times - I enforce it. There is no section requiring cats to be contained on their own property. There is no offence associated with a cat 'escaping' its property or entering someone elses property. If you believe this is the case please point me to the section that requires that cat owners contain their cats.

There are particular places cats are prohibited (wildlife zones, food prep areas etc) but if the cat is not within one of those areas it (or I should say it's owner) has not committed an offence.

I suggest YOU re-read section 31. Here it is for you. Please tell me where it says a cat is a nuisance if it enters someone's property or leaves its own property?

31 Nuisance cats

(1) For the purposes of this section, a cat is a nuisance if the cat:

(a) makes a noise that persistently occurs or continues to such a degree or extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of any person in any other premises, or

(b) repeatedly damages anything outside the property on which it is ordinarily kept.

:shrug:

http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/192-nuisance-animals.asp?intSiteID=1

Cats - Nuisance

We have a number of cat traps that can be supplied to residents free of charge. If you know the owner of the cat, you are required to return the cat to its owner or have one of our Officers pick it up.

http://www.canterbury.nsw.gov.au/www/html/495-pet-problems-and-impounding.asp?intSiteID=1

Problem cats

Council may issue a nuisance order if your cat is repeatedly:

â– Making a noise

â– Causing damage to property

The order will require you to prevent the behaviour causing the problem. If you don't comply you may be fined.

Dog attacks are more of a public concern than attacks by cats. However a cat can injure or kill other animals such as small mammals, including rabbits and possums, and birds. If your cat does attack another animal or person it may be seized and taken to the pound. You have limited time to claim your animal from a pound. This will depend on whether it is registered or not, with unregistered animals having less time to be claimed. If you don't claim your cat in time, it can be sold or destroyed.

We have very clever wild/free range/overbreeding cats around our area and they are very hard to trap!

When i was little a man around the corner had a cat that would routinely come and tease our neighbour's GSD from the gate post. Our neighbour would chase it off daily and went and spoke to the owner quite a few times to no avail. One day his GSD grabbed the cat off the post and killed it. He had called the council previously asking what would happen if his dog killed the cat, the council said they could take it to court if they wanted to. So he buried the cat and never told the guy. The man who owned the cat didn't even put up 'lost' posters or anything :(

As callas as it sounds, don't say anything. It was her fault and she sounds like the type of person that may make trouble for you.

Today if a cat comes into your yard and your dog kills it, it's bad luck and the owner can do nothing as cats are not allowed to wander just like dogs. I also would say nothing, how do you know what the neighbour might do to your dog as payback.

This is incorrect in NSW. Cats are legally allowed to wander and there is no offense for them entering your yard. However the OP's situation would not be considered an attack in NSW as the legislation specifically states that there is no offense committed if the incident occurs as the result of a person or animal entering the property without permission.

Where in the Companion Animals Act 1998 does it say cats are legally allowed to wander - it doesn't. You might want to read section 31 Nuisance cats as this is exactly the problem the OP has. As I said if a cat enters your property and your dog kills it, it's just bad luck.

Also cats are required by law to wear a collar with an Identification tag at all times, but how many cat owners do this.

I've read the NSW Companion Animals Act many times - I enforce it. There is no section requiring cats to be contained on their own property. There is no offence associated with a cat 'escaping' its property or entering someone elses property. If you believe this is the case please point me to the section that requires that cat owners contain their cats.

There are particular places cats are prohibited (wildlife zones, food prep areas etc) but if the cat is not within one of those areas it (or I should say it's owner) has not committed an offence.

I suggest YOU re-read section 31. Here it is for you. Please tell me where it says a cat is a nuisance if it enters someone's property or leaves its own property?

31 Nuisance cats

(a) makes a noise that persistently occurs or continues to such a degree or extent that it unreasonably interferes with the peace, comfort or convenience of any person in any other premises, or

(b) repeatedly damages anything outside the property on which it is ordinarily kept.

And I suggest YOU re-read Section 31 Nuisance cats, you might not think cats that wee, poo and kill birds and small animals on other peoples property a Nuisance but I and many others do. It also doesn't say that if a cat enters your property and your dog kills it it's bad luck, but it's a fact.

I also have a copy of the Companion Animals Act and I can't see where it says the people can get cat traps from the council and catch the cats,and take them to the pound but that also is a fact.

31 Nuisance cats

And I suggest YOU re-read Section 31 Nuisance cats, you might not think cats that wee, poo and kill birds and small animals on other peoples property a Nuisance but I and many others do. It also doesn't say that if a cat enters your property and your dog kills it it's bad luck, but it's a fact.

I also have a copy of the Companion Animals Act and I can't see where it says the people can get cat traps from the council and catch the cats,and take them to the pound but that also is a fact.

Um, you're changing your perspective now.

INDIVIDUAL cats killing animals and "repeatedly damaging property outside which it is ordinarily kept' can be declared a nuisance. But that isn't what you said. You said that 'cats aren't allowed to roam just like dogs' which is completely incorrect. Cats ARE allowed to roam, but if individual cats are killing wildlife, persistently making noise or repeatedly damaging your property and you can prove it then that individual cat can be declared a nuisance.

A cat is not breaking any laws by simply entering your yard or leaving it's yard. If a cat came and sat in your yard in the sun all day every day but never made any noise or damaged anything or killed any wildlife there is no offence committed. And plenty of cats do just that.

No a dog would not be at fault if it killed a cat in it's own yard. I've already said that and quoted the wording that covers it.

Like I said, I enforce this legislation. This is why it's so important to not just take people's word when it comes to your rights or responsibilities as a pet owner. People misinterpret the legislation and then pass that on to others and you can get yourself in trouble.

I'm not saying I agree with the legislation. I've got two indoor cats myself and don't understand how people can let theirs wander. But that doesn't negate the fact that you're passing on incorrect information.

Edited by melzawelza

Yet when cats use someone elses yard as a toilet and the dog gets into that and causes a several hundred dollar vet bill for gastro - who pays? Yes the dog owner not the owner of the roaming cat. They can stay out of our yard and have never stopped our dog from chasing them off after the half eaten baby birds some wandering cat returned to the yard (they were blown out of the nest during the night and were only a week off flying - they were safe in our enclosed yard and the dog was inside (should have left her out with them) and the mother was still around. We go shopping that evening come back and they are gone but the one that was killed outright by the fall still in place. A week later or thereabouts the half eaten hollowed out bodies reappear in the yard (note the original dead one was never touched). Its disgusting what roaming 'oh it would never kill etc its a lovely cat' pets will do outside its owners property.

So yes two reasons why people should contain cats that apparently are their much loved pets (I cannot how anyone could leave their cat with access to roam when nasty kids, cars, dogs, etc all could result in no more cat).

And in SA unless its changed recently if you catch a cat and it has a collar on you have to let it go again - stupid rule. As are the arguments against registering cats too - should be the same rules as dog ownership.

I would ring council first and check your dogs are not in danger over this ( i know it sounds odd, and i think its not your fault, but council have odd rules),before i would go admitting anything.

If you can find the cat and get it to the vet i would, but if in reality it has gone off to die you need to think about your dogs, callous as it may sound.

I have new neighbours with 2 cats, and i told her the first day if they come into my yard they won't leave, they are apparently house cats and not allowed out, one cost her over $1000, must be a an odd housecat, as everytime i go out the front it is either under my car or hedge. :(

I agree with this. She knew not to let the cat in your yard and obviously didn't care enough to try.

If it meant the possibility of my dog being in trouble, I wouldn't even tell her.

Kenny unfortunately killed two cats in our backyard, the first I didn't know, the second was from next door. I spoke to my neighbour before she met her demise, because she used to sit on the fence & tease Kenny, saying I was worried what would happen if Kenny got hold of her. His reaction was, OH well, it will serve her right, don't worry about it.

I spoke to the ranger after the first cat & he said that the dog wasn't to blame, because the cat was in the dogs yard.

My neighbours cat seems to be in my front yard everyday now, i'm not surprised they are really loud and feral next door, and it seems very shy.

I am not a cat lover, but it is very pretty, like a coffee colour with chocolate points, i know its a pedigree of some sort.

My kids were sitting on the lawn quitly stroking it, they said you had to be still and it would eventually come out from under the hedge.

I know of a family that have these paddles installed on their fences.

Cats apparently can't get over them if it is installed correctly.

Australian invention too. http://www.oscillot.com.au

I likes!!

T.

In the states these are called Coyote Rollers.

There is a DIY version here (scroll down). When I eventually get a cat, I'll have these on my fences to work as a secondary barrier in case the cat got out of the house/cat run. It also stops dogs too, which is handy as I've had some escapists.

Edited to add an even easier DIY version.

Edited by Lowenhart