Irresponsible People In Dog And Animal World.

LisaCC

On the other side of the coin, I hate it when vets pressure me to desex at a really young age.

But vets are just people who are going to have differing beliefs.

I guess it's just about finding a vet who shares your ethics and opinions on dogs. Easier said than done of course!

Edited by Aussie3

Oh I can agree with that Aussie3, I overheard a vet nurse trying to tell someone that if they didn't get their already registered puppy desexed by 6 months they would be made to pay a fine (what utter bull). The lady was just enquiring on whether they charge more for an older puppy to be desexed as she wanted to wait till 12 months.

I used to work for a male vet, he owned the single vet practice. He often told me that he loathed animals, but he liked solving the 'puzzle' of finding out what was wrong with an animal. He was overseas trained and became a vet after not making the grade for medicine. He was in his 50s when I was there in the 90s.

Most of the vets I've met have nothing against BYB's :shrug:

No and to my shock/horror, my vet adopted one of my foster dogs to keep his dog company (and knows ALL about rescue and pounds etc) and then promptly purchased a puppy from one of his other customers who was breeding "Schnauzerdors" - they were advertised on the notice board and I saw the owner bringing the pups in.

Next thing I know, the vet is walking down the road a few weeks later with one of puppies and I said "is he sick" and he replied "no, no, it's my dog" .....

Edited by dogmad

A colleague at work for whom I do some work told me he'd bought his "Pekapoo" from his vet. I asked if his vet bred dogs and he said "no, he buys them in" - i said do you knwo where he's buying them in from - puppy farms?

I then risked my future relationship with this person by explaining all about puppy farms. There is no way I could keep quiet about it, being a rescuer.

I just hope he's educated now and wouldn't repeat the purchase - unlike another manager I work with who just purchased a second petshop puppy, even after my explanation about puppy farms following the first purchase (all done on a whim of course).

A persons occupation often has little relevance to their ethics & beliefs. One of the biggest & worst puppy farmers in Victoria is a vet.

Many people working with animals, old people & children would suprise you by the way they treat the vunerable they work with & the attitudes they have. All sorts happen behind closed doors & it is not uncommon. This is more ignorant than cruel & irresponsible really.

Most of the vets I've met have nothing against BYB's :shrug:

That's probably because they make so much money off of their clients that have them...

My vet is very much against BYBing. Although his opinions are probably coloured by the fact he does a lot of vet work for our local RSPCA which includes having to put to sleep young, healthy puppies simply because there's no room for them.

Being a rescuer, if his stance was anything else, I think I'd be finding another vet. Although even if I wasn't rescuing.. I don't think I could support any business that openly supported BYBing.

typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

Im so glad my vet clinic that I use has never tried to tell me or sell me anything. I made clear from the outset that I work in a pet store (that does not sell pups) and that I had all my plans for worming etc.

But that said, I believe I am only one of a few in the pet shop industry that is anti-byb, anti-cross breed etc. I learn a lot from this place too!

Border collies are high energy working dogs and need to be in the environment that suits them, not locked up in a laundry. What does he do with all that pent up energy, internalise it? Neutering won't lessen his energy, he has a brain he needs to use, a job to do. He is bored. She will end up with a neurotic dog. I have seen it happen to another one, they ache for someone to give them orders so they can show off how good they are, this will settle him down. This owner needs to be told. Good luck, I clearly feel your frustration.