Look What They Have Done To Our Dogs.

Sandy46

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vid certainly has the "EEK" factor.

The question asked, "what have we done too them'' is answered with one of the opening statements blaming shows for judging dog against dog instead of dog against standard.

"Fashion is usurping "function"

One shouldn't be able to pick a show dog from a working dog of the same breed just by looking at them, except maybe the working dogs coat wouldn't display the benefit of a regular bath & brush.

The vid certainly has the "EEK" factor.

The question asked, "what have we done too them'' is answered with one of the opening statements blaming shows for judging dog against dog instead of dog against standard.

"Fashion is usurping "function"

One shouldn't be able to pick a show dog from a working dog of the same breed just by looking at them, except maybe the working dogs coat wouldn't display the benefit of a regular bath & brush.

Well said ! if it can't birth, breed, walk, run or feed easily it shouldn't be breed

More animal rights bull crap ...

There's no point in bothering to defends ones self, choice of breed and choice to show. It always ends in the same poxy working v show debate.

Animal rights?

Sorry, I don't see it as animal rights propaganda.

I see it as telling it like it is.

Most show dogs are very good examples of the breed, better groomed and polished for a show but essentially the same as the working dogs, a few others have gone overboard, no animal rights or anything involved in telling the truth. No need for a shit fight either.

I found it interesting, but only really agree with the bone structure inferences- I don't think extra hair is a real issue.

I don't know, extra hair can become a problem with herding a hunting breeds, overheating, hindering movement, collecting seeds and burrs etc and not being able to see. I think that's why the more extreme versions of some breeds should be kept in the show ring. By all means breed them if you want but they aren't built for their original purpose anymore. Everything is exaggerated beyond use.

I found it interesting, but only really agree with the bone structure inferences- I don't think extra hair is a real issue.

I don't know, extra hair can become a problem with herding a hunting breeds, overheating, hindering movement, collecting seeds and burrs etc and not being able to see. I think that's why the more extreme versions of some breeds should be kept in the show ring. By all means breed them if you want but they aren't built for their original purpose anymore. Everything is exaggerated beyond use.

if they were being used for work most of that extra hair would be pulled out as they ran through the brush etc. It certainly wouldn't be looked after like they were going to a show next weekend, so most dogs wouldn't have the huge coat.

if they were being used for work most of that extra hair would be pulled out as they ran through the brush etc. It certainly wouldn't be looked after like they were going to a show next weekend, so most dogs wouldn't have the huge coat.

I don't know. We hardly have any long coated working BCs out this way as there's just too many grass seeds and they get caught int he coat, the working lines are mostly very short coated. There's one farm BC (not working) that comes in pretty regularly to get grass seeds removed.

Which herding and hunting breeds are you speaking of, MUP?

Which herding and hunting breeds are you speaking of, MUP?

Collie roughs, bc, shetland, OESD. Not so much the hunting. Perhaps some of the gun dogs

Edited by mixeduppup

Sorry, I think I phrased my comment re hair poorly.

I do not think it is an issue breeding dogs for the show ring with extra hair, but I don't agree with the major conformational differences between working and show lines.

Of course working animals are hampered by hair, like in the horse world working horses are braided and were formerly docked.

I got involved in an argument about this topic on an American dog site. Looked up the standards of some working breeds on their sites and conformation wise they are nearly identical so under the show coat they should be the same. Even with this there was no way the Americans would be convinced lol. :banghead: