Qantas Says No To American Staffordshire Terriers

Red Fox

So stop trying to make it a BSL issue. Its simply the rules that they have decided reduces some risks to an acceptable level.....

Qantas made it a BSL issue.

Umm no hang on. BSL is "Breed speific legislation"

What Qantas has done and they are entitled to is put policies and proceedures in place, for what they think is in the best interests of their business and staff safety.

It seems to have become a BSL issue since amstaffs were banned from Qantas.

apparently so but the Amstaff is not on the restricted breed list and neither are the Braccy breeds that some airlines refuse to carry but hey let's muddy the waters and the issues

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently so but the Amstaff is not on the restricted breed list and neither are the Braccy breeds that some airlines refuse to carry but hey let's muddy the waters and the issues

I don't recall QANTAS saying Braccy breeds were banned because they were 'historically aggressive' though?

Bit off topic, just wanted to share my frustration with Qantas!! recently i flew my 2 dogs, one being only 12 weeks old from sydney to gold coast. I waited patiently when told the flight had landed and that they werent far away, 15 minutes later i was informed that my dogs were on their way BACK to sydney as they were unable to open the cargo door!Apparently as there was no engineer for qantas at gold coast airport they were unable to try to open the door in case it damaged the door and the plane would have to be grounded. There were 2 other dogs on the flight and it was quite hot as you could imagine. I had to contact my breeder and she kindly drove back to sydney airport and cared for them overnight and brought them back the next day for their second flight. The feat of engineering to get the door open was a 'screwdriver'. I have sent a complaint, but no surprise, no response. Yes will use Virgin from now on, Not Happy!! Rant Over LOL

Bit off topic, just wanted to share my frustration with Qantas!! recently i flew my 2 dogs, one being only 12 weeks old from sydney to gold coast. I waited patiently when told the flight had landed and that they werent far away, 15 minutes later i was informed that my dogs were on their way BACK to sydney as they were unable to open the cargo door!Apparently as there was no engineer for qantas at gold coast airport they were unable to try to open the door in case it damaged the door and the plane would have to be grounded. There were 2 other dogs on the flight and it was quite hot as you could imagine. I had to contact my breeder and she kindly drove back to sydney airport and cared for them overnight and brought them back the next day for their second flight. The feat of engineering to get the door open was a 'screwdriver'. I have sent a complaint, but no surprise, no response. Yes will use Virgin from now on, Not Happy!! Rant Over LOL

Ridiculous.

But blame the unions, not the carrier.

I don't recall QANTAS saying Braccy breeds were banned because they were 'historically aggressive' though?

A rose by any other name perhaps?

I think the astonishing thing there is that Albury has an airport.

I would be very surprised if Qantas flew animals from a small regional airport. I don't think they have much more than Dash 8s fly out of them and they don't take animals. Are you sure you are able to fly your puppy out of Albury?

I had a puppy flown into Albury back in 1983 on a small jet from Melbourne. It is a very busy airport. When I used to fly back and forth to Sydney for work, they first had Fockers then moved to jets not much smaller than those now used between capital cities.

• 6 months later...

Qantas have now lifted their ban. And brachy breeds also with conditions.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-backs-down-on-controversial-american-staffordshire-terrier-ban/story-e6frfq80-1226690006001

QANTAS has dumped its controversial ban on American Staffordshire terriers.

The airline today announced changes to its live animal policy that will allow the carriage of staffies on all its international and domestic flights.

The previous ban, made last year, had dog lovers perplexed at why their beloved pooches couldn't fly with them, despite dangerous animals such as crocodiles being allowed on board.

Unhappy staffie supporters around Australia stormed the Qantas Facebook page and threatened to boycott the airline, calling the policy "discriminatory". The breed isn't subject to any restrictions in Australia.

A petition set up by Pauline Steele, who has a three-year-old American Staffy, has attracted nearly 7000 signatures.

A Qantas spokesperson said the prior ban had been made following cases where staffies had destroyed their cages, and caused damage to a plane. It had explained the ban by saying "certain breeds are not permitted to travel on Qantas flights as they are traditionally known to be aggressive or highly agitated animals".

However, after a successful trial and many requests from dog owners, the airline has decided to lift the restriction.

A Qantas spokesperson said: "We know that there are many American Staffordshire owners in Australia who love the breed. These new guidelines help meet their needs in terms of being able to transport their pets and our needs in terms of safety."

The staffies must be transported in an airline-approved guard dog cage or a CR-82 wire mesh reinforced cage, which is designed to prevent the dog from breaking out and thus avoiding damage to the aircraft, or the dog itself.

Bookings must be made via a pet transport agency.

More snub-nose cat and snub-nose dog breeds are now also permitted on international Qantas flights following a trial by the airline, but the owners will need to sign an indemnity form acknowledging the breathing risks these breeds have on planes.

Snub-nose cat breeds include Himalayan and Persian, while snub-dog breeds include British bulldog, Pug and Pekingese.

They were previously only allowed to fly on domestic routes.

Qantas said it had received constant calls from passenger wanting to bring the animals on-board.

"Changes to the policy will allow more breeds of dogs and cats safe travel on Qantas."

"Snub-nose breeds of dogs and cats are very popular pets and we receive many requests for transport, including on long flights."

"We obviously want all pets to arrive safe and sound and so with snub-nosed pets we strongly recommend using a cage that is twice the minimum required size to make sure there is plenty of air circulation."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/qantas-backs-down-on-controversial-american-staffordshire-terrier-ban/story-e6frfq80-1226690006001#ixzz2alb8acw4

This is a nice turn of events but I probably still won't fly Qantas... For starters their prices are ridiculous and I'd also be worried about the plane falling apart with me on it, judging by their recent headlines... (Sorry Qantas fans)

Edited by BlackJaq

This is a nice turn of events but I probably still won't fly Qantas... For starters their prices are ridiculous and I'd also be worried about the plane falling apart with me on it, judging by their recent headlines... (Sorry Qantas fans)

Me either. They're a complete joke these days. Morons. As if they thought they could get away with doing that and still keep customers?!

You think Qantas is bad....try DeltaDelta no longer accepts snub-nosed or pug-nosed dogs and cats as checked baggage. Certain breeds may be acceptable for transport as cargo via Pets First.

Snub- or Pug-nosed Dogs

American Bulldog

American Staffordshire Terrier

American Pit Bull Terrier

Boston Terrier

Boxer

Brussels Griffin

Bulldog*

Chinese Pug

Chow Chow

Dutch Pug

English Bulldog

English Toy Spaniel

French Bulldog

Lhasa Apso

Japanese Boxer

Japanese Pug

Japanese Spaniel (Chin)

Mastiff (all breeds)

Pekinese

Pit Bull

Pug

Shar Pei

Shih Tzu

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Tibetan Spaniel

Snub-Nosed Cats

Burmese

Exotic

Himalayan

Persian

They can't place restrictions upon breeds not subject to BSL under the Customs Act as they have no legitimate grounds to ban specific breeds if challenged. They were probably advised that if someone took the matter to court, they would win such a case.

They can't place restrictions upon breeds not subject to BSL under the Customs Act as they have no legitimate grounds to ban specific breeds if challenged. They were probably advised that if someone took the matter to court, they would win such a case.

Surely a business can regulate what cargo they carry? Not sure how the Customs Act can have a say in what flies domestically either?