Qantas Says No To American Staffordshire Terriers

Red Fox

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/outrage-as-qantas-says-no-to-staffies/story-e6freuy9-1226544594592

QANTAS is under fire for not allowing American Staffordshire Terriers on their flights - but allowing crocodiles.

A petition on Change.org calls on the national airline to drop the "discriminatory" ban on freight transport of the breed. Dog lovers across Australia have taken to the online site to express their disgust at the restriction, with more than 1400 people signing the petition. "These dogs are not a restricted breed nor are they dangerous. Please do your research Qantas," wrote one dog owner. Another supporter begged: "Please don't discriminate against such a loyal, gentle breed." Pauline Steele, who has a two-year-old American Staffy, started the online petition to push Qantas to change their policy, as the breed aren't classified anywhere in Australia. "Qantas has procedures in place to allow it to transport lions and crocodiles, but it won't transport an American Staffy," she said. "The travel ban is ridiculous, it's having a big impact on American Staffy owners, breeders and rescue shelters and it's time for Qantas to change its decision." Pauline told Change.org that in addition to hundreds of signatures and comments, Qantas was coming under fire on Facebook. Dozens of dog owners have stormed the Qantas Facebook page and are threatening to boycott the airline. Qantas released a statement on the social network as the anger grew. "Safety is our first priority, including that of our employees, and certain breeds are not permitted to travel on Qantas flights as they are traditionally known to be aggressive or highly agitated animals. Also, certain breeds of animals are not permitted to fly on flights over a certain time period due to respiratory issues." Dogs currently banned on Qantas flights include American Staffordshire Terriers, Brazilian Fila, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, American Pit Bull and Pit Bull Terriers. Dogs that have problems with excessive chewing or cage destruction are also not allowed. Ms Steele said she was hopeful that Qantas would agree to work with all relevant parties to find an acceptable solution.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again???!!! still??!! Call them nothing like everyone with a brain stem does, that craps been around for years, decades even. Qantarse wont listen to reason.

Best thing I can ever say was by an awesome dude who'd be well into his mid 100's by now if around saying keep your camp fires small and keep off the main trail. ;)

Edited by GeckoTree

Ah so Qantarse are at it again.

They have refused to carry Frenchies and any flat faced breed for years, give them the flick, on principle now I will not even fly with them, use VIRGIN, they are fantastic and the way they look after the dogs is amazing, well I have had nothing but praise for them, all puppies/dogs I have sent with them have been very well cared for.

Ah, tell them its an "English staffy" and you'll be allowed on, I've seen lots of them around lately :laugh:

ohh yes what a super idea that is and then those of us who genuinely fly our Staffords around the country will be banned from doing so.

Vote with your feet and fly with someone else, but don't drag my breed into it

No more flying qantas for our family, if one family member is discriminated against then none of us will give them the time of day. Abbie is not a pure Amstaff but I wont support a company that is applying breed restrictions.....

Totally ridiculous. They even say crosses of the breed are banned. How would they ever know! I agree, boycott them and use another airline.

Most of their staff wouldn't be able to identify breeds anyway. And if they were all doing their job correctly in the first place, and only accepted animals in the prescribed/suitable containers, there wouldn't be problems.

What's the fuss? Is Quantas the only airline that will carry dogs to Aus?

I think people are more about the principle of it. Especially when a Qantas representative makes this remark:

Safety is our first priority, including that of our employees, and certain breeds are not permitted to travel on Qantas flights as they are traditionally known to be aggressive or highly agitated animals.

A dangerous and reckless comment on an official page that reaches almost 300,000 people.

I wouldn't fly with those jokers anyway. Their planes and maintenance are all shithouse anyway and their CEO is a horrible little wanker.

Great post. :thumbsup:

When I flew Kenny from WA to VIC I used Virgin, because I knew Qantas wouldn't let him fly with them.

What's the fuss? Is Quantas the only airline that will carry dogs to Aus?

As others have said, it is the principle of it. Its just like BSL for plane trips, when will it end? If ppl don't let them know how unacceptable it is then soon they will start adding the all the staffs, GSDs, Rotts, Dobes ect to the list.

Well soon Virgin will have all our business the way they are going, they would be rubbing their hands together with the business that will be flowing their way, it is not only our business but I know first hand that the corporate world is leaving them as well, just what they deserve.

I will be having a pup flown to me next month (not AmStaff). Virgin does not fly animals from the airport he will be departing from. That leaves QANTAS.

What airport is that? I thought Virgin flew from all Aussie airports.