Red Cordial In Puppies Water

Pockets

I don't think it's the raspberry, it's the Benzoic acid in the cordials that kills bacteria, it's a preservative that's used

In cordials to make them obviously last longer.

The research paper was about the acid not about the berry itself :)

You get the same with the juice and jams and anything else even after they are cooked - they have eliminated the benzoic acid.

Cavanagh says there is something unique to raspberry and blackcurrant juices, which seems to be responsible.

Edited by Steve

I don't think it's the raspberry, it's the Benzoic acid in the cordials that kills bacteria, it's a preservative that's used

In cordials to make them obviously last longer.

The research paper was about the acid not about the berry itself :)

The research I read said it was about the berry - raspberry or black current. Juice worked as well as cordial.

Maybe the raspberries contain the benzoic acid? Either way a good Rasberry cordial is something I now put in my

Litters water bowls and also take away showing :)

As far as I know the property and why some work and others dont hasnt as yet been identified [named] Most berries contain some benzoic acid naturally so do some other foods from memory some stoned fruits and cinnamon. You would think if it was as easy as benzoic acid that they would just produce something artificially to do the job - or that anything with the stuff added would have the same effect.

Dunno but i always have raspberries in the freezer just in case.

When I saw the title of this thread I was sure it was going to be a load of codswallop so I'm very surprised to find there's some truth to it. I'd better put rasberry cordial on my shopping list.

I heard of this years and years ago for pigs but never thought of it for dogs, not that I have ever really need it but yes, next time I travel with the dogs I will be packing the raspberry cordial as well. :D

Does anyone know if the Bickfords 1 is suitable? That is the only other good quality 1 I can think of. The webpage says all of their cordials contain up to 35% juice but doesn't give specifics for each 1. We had a bottle in the fridge right up until Christmas and when I looked in Woolies today they didn't have any raspberry for me to check and none of the others they stocked were high enough either.

Does anyone know if the Bickfords 1 is suitable? That is the only other good quality 1 I can think of. The webpage says all of their cordials contain up to 35% juice but doesn't give specifics for each 1. We had a bottle in the fridge right up until Christmas and when I looked in Woolies today they didn't have any raspberry for me to check and none of the others they stocked were high enough either.

The Bickfords says 35% juice but you will need to look and see if its all raspberry juice because they usually mix apple juice in which increases the juice content but not the raspberry juice content .

You cant buy the stuff here - every time I go into a supermarket I spot for it but its rare that its on the shelf . I havent seen sunrasie raspberry juice for a long time either.

• 2 weeks later...