Help With Raw Diet

Sankari

Thanks for the suggestions.

I guess it'll be a bit of trial and error. Satu has a really good stomach, the only time we had an issue with her was when i bought some chicken carcasses when she was little and they were contaminated and she got food poisoning. Of course i have never purchased there ever since.

So far she with bones has eaten lamb necks and chicken wings. wasnt interested in the beef brisket today.. I think it'll take a few weeks or so to get used to the bones.

Edited by LucyCharzie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zig has a bit of an issue with fat in his diet - makes him vomit if he gets to much. That is why he only gets brisket bones sometimes..

Same with marrow bones, he only gets one in a blue moon as the last one made him sick for a couple of days poor boy.

It is trial and error with their diets and they are all different.

Zig prefers his sardines in olive oil but he gets them in spring water, so hardly fatty at all.

He also loves fresh fish.. I was given some salmon steaks and there was one left over, so I gave it to him raw and he loved it.

Does anyone's fussy dog not like the fat on chicken wings? she's licking at the chicken starts munching then gets to the more fatty part of the chicken and spits it out and backs away from it :confused:

She has not gotten through an entire chicken wing yet should i try the wingettes instead or a carcass cut up smaller (an entire one would be too big for her)... she ate those when she was younger, maybe she will eat them instead?? Any ideas?

Does anyone's fussy dog not like the fat on chicken wings? she's licking at the chicken starts munching then gets to the more fatty part of the chicken and spits it out and backs away from it :confused:

She has not gotten through an entire chicken wing yet should i try the wingettes instead or a carcass cut up smaller (an entire one would be too big for her)... she ate those when she was younger, maybe she will eat them instead?? Any ideas?

I have stopped feeding chicken wings to my mini schnauzers because of the fat content because mini schnauzers are very prone to pancreatitus. I give them chicken necks and chicken frames and cut off any excess fat. Have you tried to feed them other digestible bones rather than the wings?

What bones do you suggest twodoggies2001?

necks might be a bit small but shes not a scoffer so she would probably eat them okay.. perhaps i should do the tough luck thing either she eats it or nothing else til next meal.

As I said. I give the necks, chicken frames and I also buy baby veal ribs and cut off a part of the meat and feed that as the meat part of their diet. The easily manage the baby ribs. If she is not a gulper, then the necks should be fine. I feed recreational bones, (ones that cannot be eaten only chewed) more as a treat rather than a part of their food intake.

I won't eat chicken wings - they ARE really fatty. So I don't give them to my dogs.

I get the necks in preference. Although the Dobe used to get the odd one, but the Dobes do need some fat in their diet, so a bit different to some.

I don't give them weight-bearing bones either. Simple rule of thumb here. I stopped giving the big bones to the Dobe as she used to dig up around the fruit trees to bury them. Then I read a recommendation somewhere that said non-weight-bearing bones were preferable - for a number of reasons. So I'm comfortable with that. :)

Turkey necks, lamb flap/rib (with the worst of the fat removed, roo tail are other options.

My guys also get chicken feet. I don't feed necks as they swallow them whole, and although Max often swallows chicken feet whole without chewing (which is really gross to watch) she will sometimes crunch them for a minute or so!

Edited by minimax

Does she have a problem with fat in other meats?

she may know not to eat it as it upsets her tummy.

If I give Zig a wing and it is a bit fatty, he will often leave it and wait until dinner for more food..

My guys also get chicken feet. I don't feed necks as they swallow them whole, and although Max often swallows chicken feet whole without chewing (which is really gross to watch) she will sometimes crunch them for a minute or so!

Yes, I forgot to mention that my boys also get chicken feet which apparently have lots of glucosomine. They get these as a treat and they love them. It's so funny to watch them each of them take a foot out into the back yard with half of it sticking out of their mouths. I feed them frozen and they much them over about a 5 minute period.

Yes, I forgot to mention that my boys also get chicken feet which apparently have lots of glucosomine. They get these as a treat and they love them. It's so funny to watch them each of them take a foot out into the back yard with half of it sticking out of their mouths. I feed them frozen and they much them over about a 5 minute period.

It is amusing watching a whole foot disappear into the mouth of a pug only to realise it's not going to be chewed but just swallowed whole :laugh:

However the other one likes to walk around with it in his mouth, like a creepy grave robber or somwthing :rofl:

Where do you get chicken feet from? I don't think I've ever seen them in my local chicken shop

All my local chicken shops have them. I get most of my chicken stuff from Red Lea chickens, but I've not seen a chicken shop that doesn't sell chicken feet.