Help With Raw Diet

Sankari

My 11 month old Finnish Lapphund I am struggling to get her to eat kibble. She absolutely loves the RAW i give her but kibble has always been an absolute challenge.

It was suggested to me that i could switch her to the RAW diet 100% rather than only a small portion.

She currently is eating RAW chicken or beef mince with Show Stopper powder mixed in and every second day she gets a raw meaty bone. She can be very fussy so I dont feel confident she will accept the taste of the vets all natural mix so my concern is not knowing what will be complete and balanced for her.

Can tell me where i will need to improve on this..

RAW chicken or beef mince

chicken wings/turkey necks/lamb necks

offal

vegies (only a small portion to the diet)

I bag up her meat monthly so i think it wont take much longer to do a compete RAW diet.

Any help appreciated

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this blog by K9pro gives a good starting point

RAW diet in Steve's house

I had trouble getting my newest addition to switch to raw but have found the Augustine Approved recipe a winner, and they love the taste of the supplement.

Augustine Approved

The Augustine one is quite high in veggies which means higher in sugar than I would like so they don't get this many veggie every meal. But it was great for getting my fussy munchkin to eat raw.

Everybody and every dog is different and you'll find that you'll make your own routine out of making RAW for your pup as you work thought it.

Your set up looks good so far, but might need a few more supplements for omegas like salmon slices or flaxseed oil. I'm not an expert on nutrition, so when getting started I found this book to be really helpful - http://www.fremantlepress.com.au/books/house_garden/1060

My routine is a mince meal in the morning (consists of chicken or roo mince with eggs, yoghurt, flaxseed oil, garlic, kelp powder, veggies mixed in) and a chicken frame with chicken wings or offal at night. I buy big bags of mince from the local pet shop and make a big batch of meals in one go and that will last me about 5-6 weeks in breakfasts. He only occasionally gets a substantial bone like a lamb bone as he gets plenty of teeth work with the frames at night.

My pup started to walk away from kibble as well. He has never turned his nose up at a nice raw meal! Good luck!

I dont feel confident she will accept the taste of the vets all natural mix

I'd still be inclined to try it and see. You can get a free sample from the website or just order a 1kg bag.

Mine get half VAN / half RMB's as their meal and do well on this.

I doubt she will touch it. I do give show stopper supplement to her anyway so that may well be suitable supplement on its own though I will need to ask about that.

So this morning I got her chicken wings, brisket bones and lamb necks. I gave her a wing and she ate three quarters of it no problem :)

I do give her flaxseed oil as well.

The other fussy eater in the family loves it too. He wasn't enjoying his kibble, so one day I fed him VAN and then he started demanding it every afternoon. The non-fussy eater in the family obviously loves it too. I wouldn't rule it out just yet, try a sample, you might be surprised (or you might not be!).

My 11 month old Finnish Lapphund I am struggling to get her to eat kibble. She absolutely loves the RAW i give her but kibble has always been an absolute challenge.

It was suggested to me that i could switch her to the RAW diet 100% rather than only a small portion.

She currently is eating RAW chicken or beef mince with Show Stopper powder mixed in and every second day she gets a raw meaty bone. She can be very fussy so I dont feel confident she will accept the taste of the vets all natural mix so my concern is not knowing what will be complete and balanced for her.

Can tell me where i will need to improve on this..

RAW chicken or beef mince

chicken wings/turkey necks/lamb necks

offal

vegies (only a small portion to the diet)

I bag up her meat monthly so i think it wont take much longer to do a compete RAW diet.

Any help appreciated

I don't know what show stopper powder is ... but I also don't see anything wrong with the diet you've just listed here? Unless her condition is suffering, of course. But why does she need kibble or VAN or anything?

That's pretty much what I feed my guys, I mix up their stuff and freeze about a months worth. They get flaxseed powder added in, and cranberry powder because my girl is prone to UTI's and it's easier to add to the mix than add it each day to her food, but apart from that it's a variety of mince, bit of carrot and zucchini and apple put through the juicer, some organ meat and eggs (shells and all). thats brekky with yoghurt, and they get a chicken frame for dinner. I don't mix any grains or added unneccesary bulk in, they eat enough leaves and sticks and toilet paper rolls :laugh:

Guest donatella

I have 2 fussy spoilt cows who eat VAN mix with gusto. Takes the thinking out of raw for me meaning I know they are getting a complete diet without me needing to worry about adding extras except fresh bones to their diet.

RAW chicken or beef mince<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254);">chicken wings/turkey necks/lamb necks<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254);">offal<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254);">vegies (only a small portion to the diet)
<br style="color: rgb(70, 85, 132); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(250, 252, 254);">

'

Looks good already :)

the odd egg, dollop of yoghurt and sardine ..and I'd be happy feeding that :)

So what she's getting now...

RAW Chicken or beef mince

Lamb necks, chicken wings, brisket bones

Variety of veggies (put through the food processor)

Flaxseed oil

Show stopper

Getting some organ meat today hopefully she likes it!

Will be putting the odd egg in as well. I'm not sure if she would like sardines but I'll give it a go :)

Edited by LucyCharzie

So what she's getting now...

RAW Chicken or beef mince

Lamb necks, chicken wings, brisket bones

Variety of veggies (put through the food processor)

Flaxseed oil

Show stopper

Getting some organ meat today hopefully she likes it!

Will be putting the odd egg in as well. I'm not sure if she would like sardines but I'll give it a go :)

If you chop it all up (sardines and egg) and mix it with the mince, then divide it into portions she might not notice it ... or if she does ... well she can eat it or starve (in my house, anyway lol)

Yes well this morning she decided she didn't want the beef with flaxseed oil (out it went, she doesnt eat then bad luck here!) She ate it in her chicken but always ahhard one to get her to eat beef with the oil in it.

Have you tried flaxseed powder instead? Also, I mix my meats so it's not one meat per day, but all mixed in each meal so they can't build up a 'favourite' food. Ie: beef and chicken and sometimes turkey mince all together with the sardines and egg and organ meats etc.

You could always feed prey model raw diet, raw meaty bones,muscle meat and organs. I too have 2 fussy pots here one loves raw food the other one minute loves raw next won't touch it. My chihuahua isn't fond of raw meaty bones, He will eat the meat leave the bone. I feed kibble and raw, 2 of my dogs will happliy eat just raw, my chihuahua wouldn't cause he doesn't like bones.

show stopper isn't a balanced meal, it's a nutritional supplement to complement a diet, not make it. Try the VAN mix if she doesnt eat it then at least add the VAN Health Booster powder which will balance out the protein. I gives bones but I dont rely on them totally to give enough calcium to my animals.

Zig eats:

Breakfast is one or two of the following:

Turkey necks, wings or legs, Chook carcass, necks, wings or legs, sardines, cottage cheese, egg (raw, shell and all)

For dinner he gets one of the following:

Roo mince, roo steak, beef mince, turkey mince, beef steak.

He also gets brisket bones (occasionally), fruit from the fruit bowl (he steals it), he eats spinach, lettuce and parsley straight from the garden, he will also eat tomatoes and strawberries from the garden when I have them.

If I go away for a long time during the day he gets some kibble mixed with cottage cheese or peanut butter stuffed into his kong.

If he is hot, he gets frozen chicken stock (he loves this on a hot day).

He does really well on this and doesn't seem to have any issues health wise.

He got a bit itchy the other week but that was a contact issue I think, nothing to do with diet.

Different things suit different dogs - I tried Zig on BARF patties and at first he loved them and now he won't go near it..