Help With Raw Diet

Sankari

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey necks, lamb flap/rib (with the worst of the fat removed, roo tail are other options.

I class roo tail as a weight bearing bone - I no longer feed them, though the dogs love them. My Belgian has sustained two slab fractures to molars through chomping on roo tail :(

Turkey necks, lamb flap/rib (with the worst of the fat removed, roo tail are other options.

I class roo tail as a weight bearing bone - I no longer feed them, though the dogs love them. My Belgian has sustained two slab fractures to molars through chomping on roo tail :(

I was going to ask what the logic on weight bearing bones was. Is it that they are too hard for teeth?

I would try chicken frames, cut in half, if she doesn't particularly like the fat on wings. Lately I tend to feed more minced chicken frames then proper frames as it takes up less room in the freezer so I can buy more! Would she eat that if it's slightly frozen?

How is she with offal? Or hearts? My dogs all adore hearts (yuk! LOL) and even the usual picky one is quick too eat his, so they get one once a week considering it's muscle meat.

ETA; just gave a quick read and you already feed offal :)

Edited by tollersowned

Oh dear! I don't feed them now as they are a bit on the big side for a 5kg dog anyways!

Never a problem with the Dobe until she went off Roo - and then started chucking it. Must have developed some intolerance to it. Maybe too lean and rich for her?

I was going to ask what the logic on weight bearing bones was. Is it that they are too hard for teeth?

Exactly, non weight bearing bones are softer, thus kinder to the teeth & better for cleaning teeth & massaging gums.

I'm always interested in raw feeding. To those with small breed dogs who feed raw, what is your recipe? I have a silky terrier puppy and am not quite sure about the ratio between meat, veggies, meaty bones and supplements. Most of the raw recipes I find would be too high protein & carbs for him.

I'm always interested in raw feeding. To those with small breed dogs who feed raw, what is your recipe? I have a silky terrier puppy and am not quite sure about the ratio between meat, veggies, meaty bones and supplements. Most of the raw recipes I find would be too high protein & carbs for him.

I mix up a raw mix about once a month for my pugs, I don't measure exact quantities though. It's usually beef mince based, with some lamb mince (for example, last night I bought 2kg of lamb mince and 3kg of beef mince, we'll probably use it all). I also add some sort of organ meat, this time I got liver (forget if its beef or lamb). I put some carrots and apples through the juicer to pulp them (maybe ... 6 apples or a few more depending on the size) and sometimes 500g of carrots and 2 or 3 zucchinis. I drink the apple juice myself, use a teeny bit of carrot juice to make the mix moist. Flaxseed powder goes in the mix, so does cranberry powder (as I have a pug prone to UTI's). I either chuck in a few tins of sardines in oil or some eggs with shells. I don't add grains or carbs or anything like that.

It ends up looking something like this:

20121021_141902-1.jpg

Sometimes it has more meat less veggies, because it's not an exact science.

They get it for brekky with yoghurt and sometimes a chicken foot or necks. Dinner is chicken carcass usually, or some sort of meat on a bone or edible bone.

I mix up a raw mix about once a month for my pugs, I don't measure exact quantities though. It's usually beef mince based, with some lamb mince (for example, last night I bought 2kg of lamb mince and 3kg of beef mince, we'll probably use it all). I also add some sort of organ meat, this time I got liver (forget if its beef or lamb). I put some carrots and apples through the juicer to pulp them (maybe ... 6 apples or a few more depending on the size) and sometimes 500g of carrots and 2 or 3 zucchinis. I drink the apple juice myself, use a teeny bit of carrot juice to make the mix moist. Flaxseed powder goes in the mix, so does cranberry powder (as I have a pug prone to UTI's). I either chuck in a few tins of sardines in oil or some eggs with shells. I don't add grains or carbs or anything like that.

20121021_141902-1.jpg

They get it for brekky with yoghurt and sometimes a chicken foot or necks. Dinner is chicken carcass usually, or some sort of meat on a bone or edible bone.

Thanks Minimax, that's just what I'm looking for. I also like the idea of making a large batch since I get lazy in the morning sometimes :o Do you freeze it in small containers/plastic bags and unfreeze it before serving it?

Thanks Minimax, that's just what I'm looking for. I also like the idea of making a large batch since I get lazy in the morning sometimes :o Do you freeze it in small containers/plastic bags and unfreeze it before serving it?

Yep, we have a deep freezer primarily for dog food, so the raw mix gets frozen in individual brekky sized portions in zip-lock bags and taken out of the freezer each night to defrost.

Yep, we have a deep freezer primarily for dog food, so the raw mix gets frozen in individual brekky sized portions in zip-lock bags and taken out of the freezer each night to defrost.

I freeze my raw vegie slops in the little round containers I buy at Crazy Clark's, they come a little net, they are cheap, made in Australia and last and last without cracking or getting hard/brittle. One container lasts around 4 days with my lot.

I freeze my raw vegie slops in the little round containers I buy at Crazy Clark's, they come a little net, they are cheap, made in Australia and last and last without cracking or getting hard/brittle. One container lasts around 4 days with my lot.

Thanks! Great ideas all around :thumbsup:

I have a 10kg mixed breed pup (not that small I know!) and each week we get a whole chicken and divide it up into 7 parts (one for each day obviously). To this I add offal (mostly liver), brewers yeast, olive oil and kelp. Sometimes he gets lamb meat, pork or canned fish added in. I give him raw egg once or twice a week. I try to buy a tub of yogurt once every other week to add in as well. I am interested in trying salmon oil and vitamin e because I don't feed him fish that often. Oh and he gets lamb-based kibble in the mornings :)

Edit to add I used to give raw veggies every day put through the food processor but it was always a chore getting him to eat it plus it seemed to make him go poo straight after dinner. Veges are added in only occasionally now.

Edited by ann21

I feed my dogs raw because my Japanese Spitz had trouble with dirty teeth. They have mostly chicken legs, turkey wings & legs if smaller, beef chunks - they don't need minced meat - defeats the whole chewing & crunching to clean the teeth, did try pork meat but still not convinced on this one & the occasional raw egg.

As said stay away from weight bearing bones especially beef & I've even heard that beef ribs are also too hard. I try & remember to feed offal but JS tends to have a funny tummy when he has something new. So far have tried chicken hearts, neither dog were fussed but liked lamb kidney.

Other recommendations I've heard of are fish oil, the recipe being 80% meat chunks, 10% bones & 10% offal (I don't stick to this & my dogs get more bone content, definitely veggies are not needed - dogs are carnivores. Yes I used to give my 2 previous dogs the original barf type diet when I made up the veggie mix myself with all the additives, so time consuming. When the patties came out neither of my gutsy dogs would touch them.

1357333743[/url]' post='6075513']
1357295505[/url]' post='6075202']

What does the organs add to their food?

Thiamine, Protein, Vitamin A, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Iron, Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper and Selenium lots of good things :)

I haven't added any organs to Abbeys raw meals, what would be the best to see if she will eat them? My last lab wouldn't eat organs I'd go down to her heard of a morning to let her out and there wouldn't be shriveled up kidneys ewww and if a labs picky welll.....laugh.gif

Edited by Tara8430

1357333743[/url]' post='6075513']
1357295505[/url]' post='6075202']

What does the organs add to their food?

Thiamine, Protein, Vitamin A, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Iron, Phosphorus, Zinc, Copper and Selenium lots of good things :)

I haven't added any organs to Abbeys raw meals, what would be the best to see if she will eat them? My last lab wouldn't eat organs I'd go down to her heard of a morning to let her out and there wouldn't be shriveled up kidneys ewww and if a labs picky welll.....laugh.gif

One of mine doesn't like liver - I think it is the slimy texture! I started with a small amount of lamb's kidney, chopped small so they can't pick it out. You could even mince it or make it into a slop with some vegies in a food processor. From there we have graduated to small amounts of chicken liver as well, which does not seem to be as distasteful for the liver hating dog.

Edited by trifecta