Breed Suggestions

aussielover

Over the xmas- new year holiday period I have been asked for breed suggestions by my relatives.

They have 3 kids, aged between 10-14. They really liked my labrador but may also be open to other breed suggestions.

They have a regular sized fenced backyard. The dog will receive at least 30 mins walking each day but ideally should be flexible with amount of exercise required. They aren't fussed about coat type, but I think low maintenance would be preferred

The dog will be mainly outdoor with restricted access indoors (allowed in certain rooms at certain times only)

They would like a friendly, intercactive, easy to train dog. My aunt had farm dogs as a kid but other family members haven't had a dog before so they're not that experienced.

They are looking to get a puppy at around easter this year.

They seem very keen on a labrador but I'm not sure they realise that labs generally need a lot of exercise and training. I think with the right training a lab could work for them though.

My other thoughts are a cocker spaniel, golden retriever, nova scotia duck tolling retriever or cavalier.

any other suggestions?

Edited by aussielover

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend a Cav if the dog will be mainly outdoors away from the family and I don't think that much exercise would be enough for most Labs or Tollers. Do they care about size?

Cocker Spaniel could be ok, Goldie maybe. How about a Foxie? JRT? Still active but smaller.

Neither a cocker or a cavalier will be happy without full access to the house. The cavalier will be unhappy and fret, the cocker will become destructive. Cockers are high grooming maintenance.

How about a beagle or a fox terrier?

I know there are some Cavalier people who say cavaliers do fine outside, but from my own experiences they do prefer to mostly be able to be inside and around people, and to be able to sleep on beds/sofas etc lol It doesn't mean they can't still play outside tho and be a dog still :)

They do require some grooming and you have to make sure you pull ours burrs/prickles from their coat/paws/ears if they been outside among them. They can be clipped not that I ever do ours, but there is a reason they do have the coat they have. Ears and teeth do need constant checking on as part of a good grooming routine also.

They can be active as you want them or non active lol, some even do agility. But you wouldn't want to do too much while they are still young.

If they were to go down that path, then they would need to do their research carefully and make sure they find out as much as about Cavaliers beforehand. Our SA Cavalier club have a website that gives out a lot of good information about our breed of dog. Some states have clubs that have fun days for pet owners that are often ideal for people wanting to know more about the breed to go too and have a look around and talk to breeders there in a casual informal way :)

They are a fun loving laid back type of family dog :D

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

One of those hardy short hairs sounds like a good idea. I worry a longer coated breed would struggle outdoors all day with getting things caught in their coat, meaning they would be higher maintenance, whereas very people-orientated dogs such as cavaliers might become depressed outside on their own, especially if the kids are at school and the parents working for most of the day during the week.

Since others would know more than me about hardy short haired breeds, I'll leave it to the experts :)

I always love to recommend the Aussie Terrier because they are a very hardy and sturdy dog. It depends on what size they're after as Aussies are a smallish dog (compared to Labs for example) but they really are personality plus!!

They do fine outside but love indoors too and are fantastically loyal to their family. Aussies are very friendly to all people, but do love their family the most! They're good watch dogs, require once weekly brushing and monthly washing if that. They don't shed which is also a plus.

Being a terrier they do have a stubborn streak and require a strict leader so they know who's boss. They are still easy to train and you'll end up with the best family dog ever!!!

Someone else suggested a Beagle and after having my beagle cross boy Zeus I agree. They do require a bit more hard work training wise as their sniffer nose can be hard to deal with. Beagles though are such a lovable breed too!! Also one I'd recommend and is a bit bigger than the Aussie Terrier.

How much time will they spend with the dog? I know of dogs that are outside dogs and have limited access to the house that would be lucky to get 1/2 an hour of interaction a day.

What areas of the house will the dog have access too? Living areas where they will have a lot of contact with the family or the laundry?

The amount of time indoors may be flexible.

I told them that if they wanted a lab they would have to allow it to be indoors at least in the family room, with them whenever they are home, which they seemed ok with. But would defintiely be outside if they are not home. My aunt doesn't work at the moment, although may go back to part time work this year, but the dog would have a reasonable amount of company each day.

Cavaliers are always my pick for most young families as they are so versatile without being hugely demanding exercise and training wise.

Also, a great many people start off intending to have an 'outside dog' but that all changes as soon as said dog comes home. It's a slippery slope from outside all the time, to sleeps outside, to sleeps inside, to sleeps inside but not on the bed, to sleeps on the bed but not IN the bed, to.. well, until you're me :laugh:

Also, a great many people start off intending to have an 'outside dog' but that all changes as soon as said dog comes home. It's a slippery slope from outside all the time, to sleeps outside, to sleeps inside, to sleeps inside but not on the bed, to sleeps on the bed but not IN the bed, to.. well, until you're me :laugh:

No please, continue ... I want to know where it goes after on the bed but not in the bed :rofl:

No please, continue ... I want to know where it goes after on the bed but not in the bed :rofl:

:laugh: Well, we have one bed sleeper and one pillow sleeper here. I do have a friend who dog-sat a Frenchie that liked to crawl up into her owner's nightie and lie er, betwixt her bosom.. my friend found that one out the first night - it was something the owner had failed to mention :D

:laugh: Well, we have one bed sleeper and one pillow sleeper here. I do have a friend who dog-sat a Frenchie that liked to crawl up into her owner's nightie and lie er, betwixt her bosom.. my friend found that one out the first night - it was something the owner had failed to mention :D

:coffeesplurk:

I have a head sleeper and a crotch sleeper, so I sort of understand that :laugh:

My top family recommends are:

Pointer

Whippet

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Beagle

If trainability is an issue, I'd probably knock out the Beagle but what to they actually want to train the dog to do?

I honestly don't think a people oriented dog is going to be happy watching family life through the back windows but if they can be a bit flexible about that, any of the aforementioned breeds is worth a look.

My top family recommends are:

Pointer

Whippet

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Beagle

If trainability is an issue, I'd probably knock out the Beagle but what to they actually want to train the dog to do?

I honestly don't think a people oriented dog is going to be happy watching family life through the back windows but if they can be a bit flexible about that, any of the aforementioned breeds is worth a look.

If they want a dog to watch them through the window they should consider a toy one.