N A R G A

Jan is in the wide bay area an hour or so south of me, i think maryborough. Anyhow i think i might have met her at a dog event once but i do see her pop up on dog related pages on fcebook a fair bit. There are a few in her group, they are animal activist types. I wouldnt want to be associated with their group from what i have seen so far. Keyboard warriors is the term that comes to mind. She also has a page called the pet army which i looked at and did not join. The views they push dont match the majorityof views you see on dol yet they want to change laws to fit in with standards they set based on their own opinions

Eta. She is at woodgate.

Edited by Lollipup

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read my way through the NARGA website and the associated Facebook pages (The Pet Army, 23 Candles, Australian Animal Rescue and Resource) , including the current hate page (I have no idea if its associated with NARGA or not) and I have real concerns.

Are the kinds of things NARGA promotes and kinds of uninformed understandings of rescue and dog breeding the norm for new rescue groups? I'm startled at the number of people who appear to be pro-rescue but really have no idea about how it works, what the real issues are for rescuers.

The list of things which NARGA sees as priorities for rescue have no relation at all to the things which I see as priorities for rescue. I've made this point to NARGA on their Facebook page and got a polite but uninterested response. But the fact that they seem to have missed the mark so widely, in my opinion at least, is sadly fascinating for a group who claim to represent all rescue.

I wonder what the public is learning from all this?

If I wasn't involved in rescue and came across some of the pages out there in internet land, I'd be having second thoughts about wanting anything to do with it...

It's a bit sad when the lunatics appear to be fully in control of the asylum... *sigh*

T.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice they've updated their list of action items, so clearly they've been reading and or listening to someone.

But this is the one which is kind of funny, "Open networking between rescue groups and organisations." Except of course, when it comes to their organisation who don't either consult or reveal who they are.

I'm not a happy joiner at the best of times, but I'm really affronted that a group who don't really seem to know much about rescue and who aren't open about who they are or what their experience is, are telling other rescue groups that they can speak on their behalf and provide them with assistance to improve.

The introductory letters should have come out before they set up the association, not months and months afterwards. I have read their site, and their associated sites, and there is nothing on any of them which suggests to me that they actually know much about rescue in a strategic sense.

We won't be joining them or allowing them to speak on our behalf.

I just got a letter from this group introducing themselves. Not sure what to make of it all.

Needless to say I won't be rushing to affiliate with anyone I'm unsure of.

I notice they've updated their list of action items, so clearly they've been reading and or listening to someone.

But this is the one which is kind of funny, "Open networking between rescue groups and organisations." Except of course, when it comes to their organisation who don't either consult or reveal who they are.

I'm not a happy joiner at the best of times, but I'm really affronted that a group who don't really seem to know much about rescue and who aren't open about who they are or what their experience is, are telling other rescue groups that they can speak on their behalf and provide them with assistance to improve.

The introductory letters should have come out before they set up the association, not months and months afterwards. I have read their site, and their associated sites, and there is nothing on any of them which suggests to me that they actually know much about rescue in a strategic sense.

We won't be joining them or allowing them to speak on our behalf.

I just got a letter from this group introducing themselves. Not sure what to make of it all.

Needless to say I won't be rushing to affiliate with anyone I'm unsure of.

I second Aphra's sentiments about this group... the introductions, et, should have happened way BEFORE they decided to announce that they were a mouthpiece for ALL rescue. Quite smply, they AREN'T and most likely will NEVER be, if the attitudes displayed on Facebook by some of their members is anything to go by.

T.

• 2 weeks later...

We received our letter of invitation from NARGA. Does anyone have any idea of who the 18 committee members are? I honestly can't work out if they are well-meaning and incredibly naive or just blissfully ignorant.

In any event, I really can't see why they believe rescue groups will give them money and the care of their reputation and futures on the grounds of one letter which tells us they know what is good for us.

We received a letter as well and all it raised was questions. Who are the committee members and what experience does each of them have in rescue? Does the executive have the political savvy (and connections) to engage meaningfully with "all levels of government" (lol). What consultation have they donewith rescue groups to find out what we actually want?

Lots of talk about transparency in rescue, with none from themselves. I don't have time for this stuff, we're too busy actually rescuing.

Here's what we were sent...

Hello,

I would like to introduce to you the National Animal Rescue Groups of Australia (NARGA)

Inc. We were formed to provide support for and to represent animal rescue groups,

refuges, foster carers and volunteers around Australia.

NARGA was founded by a few dedicated animal rescuers who were concerned at the lack

of support to animal rescue groups from local and state governments, and who recognised

the need for proper representation for smaller rescue groups on legislative committees.

They acknowledged that there was no voice for animal rescuers or for the thousands of

volunteers who form part of the animal rescue community, and so, decided to actively do

something about it.

Since its conception the NARGA team has grown substantially, now having 18 committee

members, nearly all of whom have come from an animal welfare background, most having

years of direct animal rescue experience.

NARGA's aim is to bring the voice of rescue groups into the public arena to be heard by all

three levels of Government, the media and the general public. We intend to encourage

cooperation, cohesion and conversation amongst rescue groups (large and small), pounds

and shelters to develop large cooperative networks in the rescue community - from

transport, foster carer, and volunteer networks right through to food bank and other

resource networks. We will encourage people to sign up to nationally managed databases

to provide efficient networking across all rescue groups.

We want to work with the rescue community to implement legislated Codes of Practice for

rescue groups and rehoming organisations. We will also work towards implementing a

nationally recognised foster carer training package. An offshoot to this training will be to

develop a database of available foster carers to match to a relevant group based on their

specific skill set, experience, expectations and practicality. In collaboration with rescue

groups we will construct a nationally recognised and stable temperament testing

procedure.

We will lobby the relevant levels of government for: tax relief for animal rescue

organisations; legislative changes to the way pounds are run as far as moral

responsibilities are concerned (i.e. insist that they work with rescue groups and do

everything in their power to first locate owners and to then rehome animals); assistance in

reducing the homeless animal problem by way of subsidised desexing; better animal

welfare education starting in primary school; making pet bonds a mandatory condition of

rental agreements; lowering impounding fees. We expect to become part of every

submission, focus group, symposium or public consultation regarding the welfare of

companion animals and the people who rescue them.

NARGA is researching a number of useful resources for people involved in animal rescue.

We have a grants database in place and will be collating a broad variety of information

such as how to become incorporated, how to get different charity statuses, how to

investigate a potential adopter, how to prepare a potential adopter etc. There will be many

more services to be added as resources allow, including counselling, insurance, financial

and legal advice, so please keep a look out for them. As we are here for you, please let us

know what services you would like us to provide. We are available to refer any query in the

right direction.

We are establishing an Emergency Rescue Fund that can be accessed twice a year by a

group (where sufficient funds are available). The Emergency Rescue Fund will be paid

against vet bills where a life or death situation arises. To quickly raise substantial funds for

this service we have developed the NARGA Network Partners program which is a discount

system whereby card holders can obtain valuable discounts on goods and services though

our Network Partners. Businesses can join at no cost which is encouraging a large variety

of goods and services for card holders to choose from. A list of existing Partners is

available on the website or on the dedicated Facebook page.

NARGA supporters pay a $10 membership fee and are invited to nominate a member

rescue group to receive a $3 commission. The accumulated amount will be paid monthly

to member groups and will be a very efficient way of fundraising for them! Should no group

be nominated, the $3 will go directly towards the Emergency Rescue Fund.

Rescue group membership is totally free if the Hearts Reward System survey form is filled

out and sent in along with the Group Membership application form which can be found on

our website www.nargainc.com.au. The Hearts Reward System will give groups something

to strive towards. If you would prefer not to submit a survey membership is $60 per year.

NARGA is always looking for dedicated volunteers to join the team to work on a wide

variety of projects so if you or someone you know has some spare time, please contact us.

One voice raising awareness, providing support, and uniting animal rescue communities -

together we make the difference.

My name is xxx xxxxxxxxx and I am the President of NARGA. We are here for you. If you

would like to discuss anything that could make your hugely important role in society easier,

please contact me at admin @ nargainc.com.au or feel free to SMS me anytime (no calls

please) on xxxx xxx xxx.

T.

They are making some huge claims and I don't see how they can possibly achieve them:

We expect to become part of every submission, focus group, symposium or public consultation regarding the welfare of companion animals and the people who rescue them.

As for the grants database and tools to get incorporated, etc a comprehensive website already exists for that here in QLD. It is not focussed on animal rescue but is relevant to all not-for profit groups.

I appreciate NARGA's goals but don't understand how they can achieve them all and how they can call themselves a national body capable of representing all. Even our Prime Minister can't do that!