I'm Being Sued For Harassment

mantis

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from him. Ignore him. Don't escalate. He has nothing. AVOs get you on Today Tonight, or worse.

It takes more than an AVO to get on TV. They are for a specific reason, to protect a victim from harm or distress. Taking out an AVO doesn't mean you have to stay indoors. It means the offender must take steps to avoid the victim to prevent conflict. In essence if you are walking down the street and the offender is walking toward you he is obligated under law to take steps to maintain a certain distance between you. If that requires him to cross the street and walk on the other side then he must do it.

I can guarantee there are a hell of a lot more AVO's issued every day that never get on TV.

Stay away from him. Ignore him. Don't escalate. He has nothing. AVOs get you on Today Tonight, or worse.

I am, but that means my girl is a prisoner & can't go for walks, it's unfair on her. :cry:

But why can't you go out,Mantis? Do you think he waits for you and then harasses you, or are you not going out through fear of bumping into him?

A most awful situation to be in, but if you are worried about his harassment claim, forget it. He doesn't have a leg to stand on. If you go out and he approaches you again saying he is suing you just tell him you are taking steps to counter sue.

Do you have someone you could make arrangements with to have company on your walks?

Edited by Danny's Darling

Suing you for calling law enforcement about his dog?

That's like burglars suing you for calling the police when they try to break in. Or maybe for keeping your doors locked when you're out.

I don't think so.

But you could report him for making threats to you and harrassing you.

I would keep a written log of his dog being loose and causing you problems, and him making threats like that (same as Nic.B with her dodgy neighbours).

It is possible to get banned from the civil courts for bringing vexatious law suits (ie ones that have no hope of success).

Not quite but we had a break-in and the lowlife must have cut themselves on the plate glass as there was blood everywhere, and we were told by the police that legally they could sue us for the injuries. Although they would first have to admit to breaking in.

On the original topic I would consider getting an AVO issued to keep him away from you. However if he won't put his dog on a lead and doesn't register his dog he is obviously one that thinks the laws do not apply to him. Might be a different story if the dog rushed an elderly person or a child and they also complained about it. Know anyone that fits these two age groups that doesn't live in the building but may be visiting.

I really think an AVO is overkill here. They are a violence restraining order there has been no threats of violence or violence. I would be saddened and surprised if a judge issued a AVO for this.

Well, despite the bluntness, Pav has a point. This guy threatened to sue you for harassment, which is daft as he is the one breaking the law. You can take your dog out but you're choosing not to. As people have said, ignore him. If he confronts you, ignore him and keep walking. Take a walking stick with you and if his dog approaches you, give the dog a bellow and raise the stick. Report him again to the council ranger and the property manager. Don't say anything to him.

Well, despite the bluntness, Pav has a point. This guy threatened to sue you for harassment, which is daft as he is the one breaking the law. You can take your dog out but you're choosing not to. As people have said, ignore him. If he confronts you, ignore him and keep walking. Take a walking stick with you and if his dog approaches you, give the dog a bellow and raise the stick. Report him again to the council ranger and the property manager. Don't say anything to him.

I have to agree with this, but also think Pav Lova is being pretty insensitive. It is bad enough being followed around the streets being harassed by someone (as I was some years ago because I made his dogs bark by walking past his house!!!), but this man lives in the same unit block as Mantis. Knowing that someone like this man is close by is enough to stress someone out, let alone knowing that if he sees you, he will be horrible to you.

I agree that Mantis should just go out and ignore him.

HOWEVER, that is easy to say. Not so easily done.

well if we are being blunt I have been wondering what the temperament is of the OP's dog that everyone else's dog has to be kept well away? Surely the rescue wouldn't have sold a dog into this situation (small area, several other dogs living very close by) without making sure the dog was ok to live in that enviroment?

I have to agree with this, but also think Pav Lova is being pretty insensitive. It is bad enough being followed around the streets being harassed by someone (as I was some years ago because I made his dogs bark by walking past his house!!!), but this man lives in the same unit block as Mantis. Knowing that someone like this man is close by is enough to stress someone out, let alone knowing that if he sees you, he will be horrible to you.

I agree that Mantis should just go out and ignore him.

HOWEVER, that is easy to say. Not so easily done.

I don't understand how someone can't walk their dog at all just because someone in the apartment block in being a PITA. Walk past them and walk your dog somewhere else :confused:

Not an AVO ..you need an Intervention order .The police will serve him with the order and he will need to sign it in their presence.The order and the police will tell him not to harass you or allow his dog to go near you or your dog .

Just ignore him. He is not going to sue you.

Literally do not engage with him, pretend he is invisible and most likely he'll get bored and give up. Even if he doesn't he has nothing to sue or do anything else with.

Take your girl out and just pretend he doesn't even exist :)

Literally do not engage with him, pretend he is invisible and most likely he'll get bored and give up. Even if he doesn't he has nothing to sue or do anything else with.

Agree,

Minimax, we all react differently. This has obviously upset Mantis and I think we need to understand that and treat her concerns with respect and care.

well if we are being blunt I have been wondering what the temperament is of the OP's dog that everyone else's dog has to be kept well away? Surely the rescue wouldn't have sold a dog into this situation (small area, several other dogs living very close by) without making sure the dog was ok to live in that enviroment?

I don't like off leash dogs to rush my very well behaved, social dog. That is the way to create reactive dogs.

Agree,

Minimax, we all react differently. This has obviously upset Mantis and I think we need to understand that and treat her concerns with respect and care.

Oh I do totally understand people react different, I just don't understand the exteme "my neighbour is an asshole so therefor my dog can't be walked anywhere in the world".

Edited by minimax

Agree,

Plus, Mantis has had a situation before where a reactive dog was created because a particular scenario. I don't recall the exact details but this must be a bad reminder. I can understand the upset but agree that the best response is to ignore the guy and go business as usual.

Plus, Mantis has had a situation before where a reactive dog was created because a particular scenario. I don't recall the exact details but this must be a bad reminder. I can understand the upset but agree that the best response is to ignore the guy and go business as usual.

Yes, Mantis is going to extra lengths to avoid her dog being put in a situation. I agree with your advice Sheridan.

We all like to be in control of our own dogs and who they get to meet. Mantis feels like she is losing that control when she walks out her front door. Living in a unit shouldn't mean we can't decide what circumstances we allow our dogs to interact with others. Let's help Mantis regain some control if we can.

Yes, Mantis is going to extra lengths to avoid her dog being put in a situation. I agree with your advice Sheridan.

We all like to be in control of our own dogs and who they get to meet. Mantis feels like she is losing that control when she walks out her front door. Living in a unit shouldn't mean we can't decide what circumstances we allow our dogs to interact with others. Let's help Mantis regain some control if we can.

Thanks Sheridan & Greymate.

After having Kenny turn from a confident & friendly dog, into a total basket case, fear aggressive dog, because of off lead dogs attacking him. I couldn't stand the same thing happening to Cougar, she is such a sweet girl & I want her to stay that way.

His dog was back on lead today when he went out, so Cougar had a nice walk, happily walking past other dogs also on lead. I just hope it lasts more than two weeks this time.