Breed Id - Give It Your Best Shot?

12 weeks old - 7.5 kilos (a bit underweight).

This one has me stumped, I'm thinking some Sheppy in there given the colouring through the topline and tail and maybe the head marking? Maybe a bit of Beagle?

I don't need a Breed ID, I already have a home for him when he's ready - just interested in what your thoughts are.

miles.jpgsidepn.jpg

Pound Shot:

906_p.jpg

I had considered that but photos of Rotti's I've looked at don't have that marking.

Rottweiler.jpg

That dark V on the head generally seems to mean some Rottie back in the mix somewhere.

Good save, he's very cute whatever he is.

That dark V on the head generally seems to mean some Rottie back in the mix somewhere.

Red greyhounds can have that widows peak too, Fern had it. Yep a real cutie.

Ah, that could explain the potential size of him.

I had considered that but photos of Rotti's I've looked at don't have that marking.

A breed doesn't always display features that it can express genetically when combined with others. That's why picking breeds on colouring is so unreliable. It's just as easy thing to do because it's such an instantly recognisable thing for us.

That shaded face is an indicator that the pup is "Sable" coloured. It's a completely different gene to "Clear Red", and linked to "Agouti".

Black and tan dogs may be genetically sable, yet the black and tan allele causes the black colouring in the familiar pattern. So when they are bred to a non black and tan dog, the offspring can easily come out sable. In fact, unless the other parent also has black and tan I think they are more likely to come out sable.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/tan.html

I see Boxer without the jowls..

Could be a Boxer mix, Beagle Mix, Foxhound mix, or just way too many mixes..

Short face, Ear carriage, Nose ridge(between eyes), Colour and size could all lean towards Boxer..

Large paws suggest a larger breed in there too..

Character and energy levels would be another to consider before attaching a breed type..

Just looks like a happy go lucky pup.. :D

A breed doesn't always display features that it can express genetically when combined with others. That's why picking breeds on colouring is so unreliable. It's just as easy thing to do because it's such an instantly recognisable thing for us.

That shaded face is an indicator that the pup is "Sable" coloured. It's a completely different gene to "Clear Red", and linked to "Agouti".

Black and tan dogs may be genetically sable, yet the black and tan allele causes the black colouring in the familiar pattern. So when they are bred to a non black and tan dog, the offspring can easily come out sable. In fact, unless the other parent also has black and tan I think they are more likely to come out sable.

http://www.doggenetics.co.uk/tan.html

Thanks for that link Alyosha - this is so interesting, I really need to learn more about dog genetics. Your recent posts in a few of these threads (eg why that scruffer Misty couldn't be JRT x etc) have really piqued my interest. Thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup: