Muzzling A Dog

So I have a failed foster doggie, I have spoken about him in the reactive thread before.

He came from the pound his trainer says he had been badly abused and his issues stem from fear. With training we got him to a workable level, he would walk nicely past dogs on the other side of the rd just not nose to nose passes which was easy to avoid.

He since got rushed and bitten by an off lead pug, he is a large Staffy cross so he wasn't hurt physically but we haven't had anywhere near the success training him since. We can walk him fine but we can't have him rushed by an off lead dog and expect him not to snap at it.

So currently both my husband and I walk him, one holds him and the other tackles any off lead dog that approaches him, this has proved quite a frequent occurance.

Husband is of the opinion bad luck for the other owner for not doing the right thing, but being a Staffy X in Victoria I think if anything ever went wrong, he would be blamed no matter how irresponsible the other person was.

So I am thinking of muzzling him so I can walk him alone and have some sort of back up should something go wrong, add to this in a few months we will have a baby that will have to come walking with me as well.

Do people think its fair on him to muzzle him? how do dogs react to being muzzled?

I don't know if it's a question of fair, it probably just is what it is! I think for yours and your dogs safety it sounds like it might be a good idea. If you train him to wear a muzzle then it shouldn't be a big issue. Someone else who has done that can probably give you advice on the best way to go about it. Are you reporting to the council each time you are being rused by off leash dogs (assuming they are in on leash areas and well from the sounds of it theya ren't under control). If it is happening that often and it is on regular walking routs I would be reporting it.

Yes I would be reporting it too. I agree with your husband but you're right, as the dog is a Staffy x in VIC better to be safe than sorry, I would probably muzzle him. It isn't really fair, no, but due to other people being unable to follow simple rules this is what happens. I don't think dogs really care about wearing them once they get used to it. Good luck with it all, you sound like you've really moved forward with him :)

Edited by Aussie3

Hi,

it's probably a good idea to teach the dog to wear a muzzle anyway. I've thought that I should teach my GSD to wear one - you never know if they're going to get hurt one day and need veterinary treatment. Much easier on the dog if they're already accustomed to a muzzle.

Barbara B

We aren't keen to report them, I worry then people will report us as a counter and I think things just go better without the council involved. I can also understand a dog getting away from you once it a blue moon. We had a complaint against him at the dog club because someone didn't like the look of him and felt threatened.... The dog club didn't care thankfully as I don't do weaves or anything and he has never gotten close enough to a dog to bite. He is also calm at training with the occassional lunge but other dogs do that too. But you never know with a ranger.

We are down to one walking route, lol as trainer advised its best to not walk him where he has been rushed. It has been different dogs on all occassions, except a whippit twice. However always a dog I think he only needs one bite to hurt, hence the worry.

Maybe I'll give it a go, if he doesn't hate it I guess there is no harm

I muZzle one of our dogs as a precaution, for my peace of mind. We bought our muzzle through K9 Pro, who also providd an excellent program for getting the dog used to the muzzle. Dog doesn't seem to mind wearung a muzzle now that he is used to it.

I was grateful that I was using the muzzle the day I was walking boyh our dogs together and we got rushedmby an offlead dog. It meant that I could stay calm, not worry about my dog's reaction (because he was muzzled) and get all of us out of the situation. No owner to be seen I might add.

If a dog is conditioned to wearing a muzzle it will accept it better. It can give you a better peace of mind that helps you relax more and this in turn helps the dog relax better.

I really like this method of conditioning a dog to wearing a muzzle.

I suggest contacting Steve from K9Pro. I have a muzzle for Lucy but we barely use it (she doesn't react unless someone is on her head!). I really used it for my peace of mind - I could relax more and deal with threats better when I wasn't worried about a fight.

Steve has a program for getting the dog to accept the muzzle which you get when you buy a muzzle from them. He can also advise the best one. I have a jafco plastic one. I cut a hole in front so I can still feed treats to reward good behaviour.

I bought a plastic muzzle for my young guy, to stop him chewing everything while in the car or house & also so I could groom him properly & search for ticks without him snapping at me. I just put a really yummy treat inside evertime I wanted to put it on & it took no time at all for him to relax with it on & accept it. Now he doesn't need it, which is just as well because he managed to get it off his head & chewed the buckle. :(

I once bumped into the ranger at the park whilst washing off a big ouchie from fending a local off leash terrorist. I was rather upset and explained all my problems to him. He told me he couldn't take action based on my say so but promised to do a few patrols round the area. I did see his car around for a few weeks after that and a fair few of the regular street roamers did suddenly sprout fences in their yards. Maybe if you spoke to the ranger in a general way and explained your situation he might do this. A lot of their job I would imagine is tidying up the problems caused by irresponsible owners so they would understand where you're coming from. I too don't report specific instances since I need all the goodwill I can get from my community and getting an irresponsible owner off side could be problematic.

I would get him used to a muzzle anyway.

You will probably find too that if he is muzzled, other people will make an effort to stop their dogs going near yours. Suddenly they will care that it goes up to other dogs.

If he has issues from fear anyway, he will prob need to be muzzled at some point in his life eg vets or whatever. Rather than add the stress of putting a muzzle on him under those conditions, better to get him used to it in a more relaxed environment

Hey chuckandsteve,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma,

But you and the dog havent failed,

It is just what it is.....

I too had a male rotti, that didnt like to be rushed or other male dogs in his space( which happens frequently, in my area), so for my piece of mind and to protect him from legal issues and from hurting other dogs, i chose to muzzle him in public.

He didnt like it initially, but after it became routine, he accepted it, just make sure you get one fitted properly and i found that i didnt walk him for long periods, as he panted heavily after long periods with it on.

I also Agree with the previous comment, because after he started wearing it ,people gave us a wide berth!!!

I would also strongly reccommended seeking a behaviourist or trainer for correct advice, because there might be other issues, or something they can suggest , that may assist you in the future that eliminates the need for the muzzle

Good luck

I have found one of the big effects of muzzling is that you relax a bit more as the handler. This is picked up by the dog and they often then react less when a dog might approach, making for a calmer situation all 'round.

And yes, it has a deterrent effect on people approaching. Many years ago I used to put one on my Afghan just so I could still walk him around town and people would be less likely to mob him every 30 seconds because he was big and hairy and pretty. He was never aggressive and very very patient but used to get visibly tired of having his space almost constantly invaded.

Id recommend looking into "friendly dog collars" they go by the "street light system"

They make green (friendly) orange (no dogs) and red (caution) collars, leads and harnesses with the words printed on them. Apparently of your dog is wearing a no dogs or caution collar and lead you have advertised that your dog shouldnt be approached and if someone ignors that its their own fault.

Edited by kyliedelonge

Id recommend looking into "friendly dog collars" they go by the "street light system"

They make green (friendly) orange (no dogs) and red (caution) collars, leads and harnesses with the words printed on them. Apparently of your dog is wearing a no dogs or caution collar and lead you have advertised that your dog shouldnt be approached and if someone ignors that its their own fault.

I'm not knocking your idea of the coloured collars....but really the average Mr Joe Public wouldn't know that they meant anything & by the time they got up close enough to read whats on the dogs collar it would be too late.

Lots of dogs where those coloured collars and the general public wouldn't have a clue that they might mean soemthing different. If your dog was wearing one and attacked another dog you would still be liable.

My argument with these coloured collars is they may consititute a form of admission that your dog is a problem in any legal action.

Can you imagine legal people asking why, if you thought your dog was enough of a concern to wear a warning collar, you had it in public, unmuzzled etc?

Or is that just me being paranoid?

And yes, your average Joe Blow wouldn't have a clue a coloured collar meant anything. I can go to the pet store and buy collars in all those colours - why should people thing one in particular means anything special?