Puppy Vacc Help!

Hello so my RR pup was vacc at breeders at 7 weeks with C3 and before i had phoned my local vet an they said he would need vacc once again at 12 weeks as they dont believe in over vaccinating after titer testing research, anyway phoned the same vet but got another receptionist and she says he needS C5 at 9 weeks and again at 12 weeks??? confused!!!! help thumbsup1.gifthumbsup1.gif

Ahhh the fun of differing vaccination opinions :laugh: . There is a lot of research into vaccinations and how many dogs actually need.

In the US the advice is not to vacc every year, sadly, here it seems we've been a bit slow to catch on and most vets I've been to still advise yearly vaccs.... You will find everyone has a different opinion.

Personally any puppies I get are vacc'd at 7-8weeks/12 weeks/ and 16 weeks with a booster at 12 months. Then no more for life. I also know of people who don't give the 16 week.

I don't know why they would say he needs one at 9 weeks, that's only 2 weeks after the first!

ETA: I only give C3 as I don't believe in vaccinating for kennel cough, there are too many strains and I have had vaccinated dogs get it so I don't see the point. You may feel differently though, maybe when you go in have a chat with the vet about what they think before you decide :)

ETA: Terrible spelling :/

Edited by Aussie3

My vaccinating is the same as Aussie 3, 7 weeks 12 weeks and 16 weeks, a booster at 12 months from the 16 week vaccination, but the booster is done for three years, yes my vet gives a vaccination that last three years, costs just a little bit more than the annual one.

I have spoken to my breeder about it and i dont feel the need for this 9 week one?! i agree with the kennel cough also! the women i spoke to the first time that said about the titer test made me want to vacc there as they seemed like they wouldnt over vaccinate like the other vet i use for my bunnys! well my breeder doesnt give the 16 week, booster at a year and a yearly after that and then she says its up to me if i want to continue boosters or titer test then decide. I will phone up a few others and see what they say about it and then decide what to do, Thanks :D

he was vaccinated with protech C3 if that helps. its very confusing all this! for the 16 week one can you still take the puppy out after 12 weeks? dont think i could cope an extra month of trying to keep him entertained without having him at the beach or doggy park!!

oh yeah i know this, i mean after the booster at a year the breeder says we can titer test or continue the yearly vaccs. i meant the women to start with said he'd only need a 12 week not this 9 week one because they dont believe puppies need it after titer studies.

So a 7 week and a 12 week! but then maybe a 16 week because the posts above have got me thinking? my breeder is very into herbal medicines and all other natural stuff which i agree with to an extent but obviously want to make sure he gets the right vaccs at right time, she says he only needs another at 12 weeks then a booster at a year

Edited by RidgieAmy

I use the nobivac 10 week finishing vaccine so I can safely have my puppies out by 12 weeks. My vac schedule is...

6 weeks - protech c3

10 weeks - nobivac dhp 10 week finishing vaccine

This schedule is following the nobivac reccomendation for a fully vac'd puppy by 12 weeks. If you like you can add an intra-nasal kennel couugh which is a one off vaccine. We then vaccinate 12 months from the date of the nobivac with the nobivac 3 year vaccine.

Edited by Merrirose

Okay have just phoned another local vet and they say they give a 10/12 week vacc and that will be his final one and they do a through the nose kennel cough?? they also use the same brand vacc the breeder has given confused.gif

OOPS. i havent worked out how to quote so

6 weeks - protech c3 This schedule is following the nobivac reccomendation for a fully vac'd puppy by 12 weeks. If you like you can add an intra-nasal kennel couugh which is a one off vaccine. We then vaccinate 12 months from the date of the nobivac with the nobivac 3 year vaccine

ahh this is the one that this vet was speaking about!! i like the idea of this!! wooo walkies at 12 wks thumbsup1.gif

sorry getting carried away!!

Edited by RidgieAmy

Sounds like your getting great advice! I will just add in that 2 weeks between vaccinations really is too close so I am glad you have gotten other information.

I have done 7 and 11 week vaccinations with my pups and had them titre tested at 14mths and had they have had high levels of immunity so have not needed to be boosted at that point so the less intensive protocol does work. :thumbsup:

I also took my pups to very low risk areas (where other dogs dont often go) and walked around with them on a backpack on my chest before they were fully vaccinated so they could get used to seeing things. I would just check with the vet that your not in a high disease area but I found it good to get them acclimatised to cars moving past and other sounds.

yeah i thought that, silly vets! so glad ive found a vet that does this vacc and she agreed that the vets asst i phoned earlier didn't sound very well informed.

Oh thats good! def think we'll be going down the titer route also after reading so much about it :)

Ah okay we've been taking him to friends house's, hes yet to meet my bestys golden retriever! so that'll be happening soon, hopefully he doesnt chew her ears off! we have an open front garden and weve been taking him out there to piddle and occasionally a car goes past he was scared at first but now he doesnt even acknowledge themthumbsup1.gif though one car is a bit different to being beside a busy road!! small steps :) i dont think Kobie would fit in a backpack :( but might get my boyfriend to carry him lol my arms would be dead after 5 minutes!

Thanks everyone for the brill advice biggrin.gif

Edited by RidgieAmy

The convo went a bit like this a couple of months ago as i hadn't researched about vaccs and titres before my breeder mentioned it, i was just phoning for prices etc. so i called the vet i took my rabbits to and they said a 12 week and 16 week, (they knew he had his first shot at breeders) i then phoned another vets close by and they said they didn't do a 16 week vacc as titre testing in adults has proved most puppies get all they need from the second vacc that they give. I think thats what i should have wrote it like but i was in a hurry writing post lol don't know if that makes that certain vet any more informed or not, I'd say not after them wanting to give my pup a 9 week vacc and then a 12 wk after hes had a 7 week vacc already.confused.gif

Edited by RidgieAmy

she says he only needs another at 12 weeks then a booster at a year

it's what I do for my pups. C3 vacc at 8 and 12 weeks, then booster 12 months after the 12 week shot, so booster at 15 months.

My pup is 12 months soon and I was hoping to wait til 15 months for his booster (he just came off a course if antibiotics so I want to wait for abit). Glad to know someone else has done the booster at 15 months!

she says he only needs another at 12 weeks then a booster at a year

it's what I do for my pups. C3 vacc at 8 and 12 weeks, then booster 12 months after the 12 week shot, so booster at 15 months.

My pup is 12 months soon and I was hoping to wait til 15 months for his booster (he just came off a course if antibiotics so I want to wait for abit). Glad to know someone else has done the booster at 15 months!

Most people just say 12 month booster when they mean 12 months after the last puppy shots :) I've always done mine around 14/15 months

My vet still recommends yearly vacc (as it seems most Aus vets do). We have the same ol' 'argument' every time I go in. I don't bother now I just say it's my choice not to vaccinate if they bring it up and we move on :laugh:

Moose was last vacc'd at 15 months (now 4), Zoe is nearly 14 and hasn't been vacc'd for about 10 years. Neither has ever had a vaccinatable disease. :crossfingers:

But I digress! The advice you've been given sounds like the protocol we followed (I def wouldn't vacc only 2 weeks after the first). Gorgeous pup btw. :)