Leaving Clam Shells With Water In Dog Runs

mantis

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I came up with a idea for my bird aviaries today, could work for dogs as well.

I put a couple of steel fence posts into the ground and one across the top, run a piece of poly tubing across the top piece, fitted some misting nozzles into it, attached the hose and just turned the tap on a little, lovely mist spray for the birds.

On real hot days I'll ensure there are at least 3 water bowls in a couple of shady areas in the yard, and a low-profile fishtub type tub about 1/3 full, all with cool fresh water for the dog.

She'll sometimes like to splash her paws in the tub as well as drink from it.

I'll also put a few ice cube trays full of ice cubes into a couple of the drinking bowls just prior to going out.

I'll also ensure the birdbath is freshly-filled, and place a few small plastic takeaway-type containers around the garden freshly filled for birds and lizards.

On real hot days I'll ensure there are at least 3 water bowls in a couple of shady areas in the yard, and a low-profile fishtub type tub (kinda like that picture of the blue tub a few posts above but shallower & without handles) about 1/3 full, all with cool fresh water for the dog.

She'll sometimes like to splash her paws in the tub as well as drink from it.

I'll also put a few ice cube trays full of ice cubes into a couple of the drinking bowls just prior to going out.

I'll also ensure the birdbath is freshly-filled, and place a few small plastic takeaway-type containers around the garden freshly filled for birds and lizards.

Edited by ssar

Couldn't get a clam shell up here so I got $5 small plastic wading pool with the blow up sides. Abby loves it, Mick watched her splash and roll about. Our 44degree day they were both in together. Next hot ún I might get in too!

AP12_Blue_large.jpgthis is what some of our dogs have ...they can lie submerged in the bins (koolie/kelpie - not large dogs !

They hold a fair bit of water ... and are just step in/out

fish bins/crates.

I have some of those and my Golden CAN lie in themlaugh.gif

I used to always leave a clamshell full of water in my backyard when I lived in Sydney. It was there all year round. That way I knew that on hot days they not only had somewhere to cool off but they would also never run out of drinking water.

Ours are crated inside these days and there is no way we would leave a clamshell full here. Too much of a risk that a hot snake is going to enter the yard in search of water.

• 7 months later...

Always have had a clam shell over summer months - not just as a cooling off point but as a back up water source if we are out (obviously water is changed regularly) if they were to tip their other bowls etc. - they don't use it much, but at least the opportunity is there if they need to cool off. Can't see why it would be dangerous, but then my dogs are a medium size breed - maybe with little'uns?

It can be risky if the dogs are older and lack balance, coordination, and strength. My two older dogs are medium sized and there is not only the risk of the clam shell tipping up, but also the risk of them not being able to stand up when in there (because they struggle on smooth surfaces). So mine only have access to it when I am home.

Would it be worth investing in some of those bath grip things as well? I hadn't even thought of this.

http://www.squidoo.com/non-slip-bath-decals

The paw print ones would be on theme :D

(I know it's a super old thread but there's been some discussion in the new puppy thread of clam pools, it is getting warm again!)

Edited by Steph M

A clam shell pool really isn't that deep for a medium or large dog.

I wouldn't leave one for a very young puppy but you can also get small ones (or smaller containers that could be used for the same purpose), that would be suitable for small dogs and pups - I also wouldn't fill it right up for small dogs and pups...

I think as long as the dog or pup can jump in and out without trouble there is no real issue leaving it for them to stay cool in summer

We leave a clam shell pool half full of water for our girl as soon as the weather starts to warm up, partially as an alternative water source and partially as a "cool-down" option. She never lies in it, but often jumps in with all 4 feet with a big splash if she's been doing zoomies or if we've been for a walk and the ground's getting a bit warm - and tends to have a huge drink at the same time. She does the same thing with the deep square plastic bucket we use for her main water dish - in the warm weather, she often puts at least one front foot, if not both, in the water whilst she's drinking, even when she's been in the shade for hours. Apparently there's nothing quite as good as feet-flavoured water - YUM. :laugh:

For some reason, she's absolutely PETRIFIED of bottles filled with frozen water. She loves to play with empty soft drink bottles or 2L plastic milk bottles, but fill one with water, freeze it and put it anywhere near her and it's a different story ... she takes off like you've put a bomb next to her and stands as far away as possible, going "get that thing away from me". I have no idea why, we've tried every summer, but no dice, she won't have a bar of it. It's not as if she's been scared by the freezing sensation of it suddenly touching her or anything (and she's got an extremely thick furry black coat, so probably wouldn't feel it anyway!), just putting it down next to her is enough to send her scurrying. Yet empty the same bottle out, and chuck it to her to play with, and she's happy as a sandboy. Go figure ...