"we Hate Breeders - We Call Them Greeders"

Zug Zug

I was wandering through an antique shop yesterday, and overheard a conversation that was just so ridiculous.

It started with a women describing to a man in the shop how awful her dog was. It pees and poos in the house all the time, horrible dog, she doesn't like dogs but her daughter does so she has to keep it even though it's a horrible dog. She has had it for 5 years. Hates it.

Then she starts describing how she's involved in dog rescue, and when this man is ready for his next dog he should get it from her. She was telling him that most abandoned dogs are staffy crosses. No-one wants them, they spend too long at the pound (ok this much is true - there are a lot of staffy crosses in the pounds in this state)

Then she gets really animated about how he should only come to her to get a dog, how 'we' (i.e. the group she is involved with - I don't know who they are) - but anyway 'We hate breeders - we call them greeders'. Even breeders of purebred dogs - apparently they see lots of purebred german shepherds in the pound (I haven't noticed this myself, but I don't go there terribly often)

The comment about 'breeders are greeders' just made me angry. At that point I made a comment about how ridiculous and moved on. She was not the kind of person to have a rational conversation with. I hope the man has more sense than to listen to her.

Honestly why would anyone get a dog from this person??? She claims not to like dogs, and has clearly been unable or unwilling to train her own dog.

And why is she blaming all breeders for the fact that dogs end up needing rescue? Surely she should be targeting her frustration at the breeders of staffy crosses...? And the owners who have failed to train them, and end up giving them up when they get unruly.

But no, it was all about breeders and how they're just greedy and want money.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rescue I follow on facebook recently took in a huge number of purebred dogs because the breeder had fallen terminally ill. The comments from other followers were in the same vein. It's a breed that has a coat that isn't generally clipped, and because a breeder criticized shearing all the dogs down they were told they only cared about shows and profit :p

I'd be dubious about a rescue group represented by someone who doesn't seem to like dogs or have much skill with them!

I loathe the anti-breeder stuff some rescuers rabbit on about. It's ignorant, silly and makes the rest of us look like idiots. I told people who came to see one of my rescue dogs today that what they really needed to do was find a good Golden Retriever breeder with an older dog needing a home, because that's what they really wanted.

I suppose I should wait by the front gate for the rescue pice to arrive now.

I'd be dubious about a rescue group represented by someone who doesn't seem to like dogs or have much skill with them!

I loathe the anti-breeder stuff some rescuers rabbit on about. It's ignorant, silly and makes the rest of us look like idiots. I told people who came to see one of my rescue dogs today that what they really needed to do was find a good Golden Retriever breeder with an older dog needing a home, because that's what they really wanted.

I suppose I should wait by the front gate for the rescue police to arrive now.

Edited by Aphra

Not all breeders are wonderful... and neither are all rescuers...

What I find really interesting is that when a rescue has a dog in care that looks even remotely pure, the number of people applying for that dog is huge.

Obviously people DO want purebred dogs, but for one reason or another - some misguided, some not so much - they are trying to look for same in rescue instead of trying to source them through a registered breeder.

Reputable rescue takes great care in the placement of their dogs/pups, in much the same way a reputable registered breeder does... so why are people looking to rescue in such large numbers?

If the answer lies in the perception of breeders vs rescuers, then what can be done to raise awareness about registered breeders and their exceptional dogs/pups so that the general public also look at them as a great source for their next family pet?

T.

There should be no breeder vs rescue.

After all they are all for dogs. Some pure/pedigree and some not so much.

We all want the best for the dogs in our care. (I know I saw a few homes before I let my last foster go).

There will always be those that want to buy from a registered breeder because they want a particular breed. For showing or even just because they want a pet with particular traits.

There will always be those that are just want a dog for the family and are happy with a general mutt.

I also loathe the us v them attitude of some. We all want them to have a good life in a good home..

You would have to wonder why the man she was talking to didn't ask her why she rescued dogs if she does not like dogs.

Rescue requires such dedication I don't see how anyone who does not like dogs would last long - what an irrational person :confused:

There are some extremely stupid people in this world & still it shocks us when we hear crap like this woman was spouting. You are right in the fact that there is no rational conversation with them & anyone with half a brain would take no notice.

It still shocks me that not everyone dealing with animals loves them & children & old people for that matter. There is nothing you can do except have a brief vent & put idiots like this out of your mind as frustrating as they are.

There should be no breeder vs rescue.

After all they are all for dogs. Some pure/pedigree and some not so much.

We all want the best for the dogs in our care. (I know I saw a few homes before I let my last foster go).

There will always be those that want to buy from a registered breeder because they want a particular breed. For showing or even just because they want a pet with particular traits.

There will always be those that are just want a dog for the family and are happy with a general mutt.

I also loathe the us v them attitude of some. We all want them to have a good life in a good home..

Well said :thumbsup:

The comment about 'breeders are greeders' just made me angry. At that point I made a comment about how ridiculous and moved on. She was not the kind of person to have a rational conversation with.

And why is she blaming all breeders for the fact that dogs end up needing rescue? Surely she should be targeting her frustration at the breeders of staffy crosses...? And the owners who have failed to train them, and end up giving them up when they get unruly.

I guess some people finish up living in their own bubble, based on a pretty narrow range of experience... & start to see 'others' in a distorted way. Add to that, this lady by her own admission is not on top of managing her own doggie. All a bit chaotic. No wonder her reasoning doesn't make a lot of sense, as you say.

As for (registered) breeders being 'greeders'.... we've owned 4 p/b, still young ex-Aus Ch dogs where in 3 cases, the breeder had to be forced to take any money for them. In the 4th case (who won BOB Puppy in entire Brisbane Royal), the breeder asked 'What you can afford.' All they wanted was the best of good homes for the little dogs that had done their bit for the development of a specially lovely breed. The evidence is that breeders like these, are the very people not likely to swell the numbers of dogs needing rescue.

Edited by mita

I've heard a lot of comments similar to that .

The only effect is to turn me way. I used to advocate for rescue even though I only have pedigree dogs, now I just don't engage. I don't donate anymore either, except to my own breeds' rescue.

Edited by Diva

If I had heard something like the OP's post I would be doubting if the person really is involved in rescue. I know of some that like to say they are involved in these type of operations but really they aren't. They think it makes them sound like a better person.

We once had someone get a pup from us. This pup had a fright at its first show and I was working on getting its confidence back up. (Still am nearly two years later) I advised this person of the issue but they were determined to have this one particular pup. They told me they knew how to treat it, had dogs all their life and they were "sort of a dog whisperer".

They took the pup (a three month small terrier) Next morning I get a phone call. The pup was under a hedge and they couldn't get her out. I went to their place and it turns out they put the pup in a yard with a great dane and just left her there. I got her out and brought her back home. Dog Whisperer my ass.

Should have seen the problem coming as soon as they said that

yarracully

Dog Whisperer

Dog shouter!!

I once had someone like that come for a rescue which looked like a terrier, but cattledog size. Lovely dog, but had probably been abused, and was not confident with strangers until she had met them and checked them out on her terms.

I told this dog whisperer person that, and said we would sit in the garden and have a drink while the dog checked her out. She asked if she could bring her husky which was fine. She arrived, let the husky off his lead so he nicked off (and had no recall) and she saw the rescue dog, and rushed up to it, so it promptly nicked off!! Despite my telling her not to she tried to bail it up in a corner

I finally told her the dog was unsuitable for her, and to bugger off. Two lovely older sisters arrived with a dog which I am sure was the rescue's brother, and she rushed up to him, and he took her back to the sisters (who were having a drink). Rescue match-up made in heaven!

And I don't have the time for rescue that I did. The fact that some rescuers would not inform me that one of my dogs was in rescue turned me off, and now, the anti breeder sentiments shouted all over the place has really turned me against them. None of my dogs have been in rescue, but I would want to get it back, if so.

All this has come from America, particularly from HSUS, which wants breeders to discontinue breeding, and hopes their anti-breeder pr campaign will work.

I don't think it's entirely down to HSUS but some people are sucked into the lack of logic of 'Adopt don't shop'. They see the amount of dogs in pounds/shelters and think the solution is not to breed anymore dogs until there are no dogs left in these places. They don't think or don't want to admit that no dogs being bred means no dogs at all. And then there are those (often the same people) who think any dog will do for any person. They don't think through lifestyle so the person who is best suited to a cav, they think that a bull breed cross will do.

The comment about 'breeders are greeders' just made me angry. At that point I made a comment about how ridiculous and moved on. She was not the kind of person to have a rational conversation with.

I guess some people finish up living in their own bubble, based on a pretty narrow range of experience... & start to see 'others' in a distorted way. Add to that, this lady by her own admission is not on top of managing her own doggie. All a bit chaotic. No wonder her reasoning doesn't make a lot of sense, as you say.

As for (registered) breeders being 'greeders'.... we've owned 4 p/b, still young ex-Aus Ch dogs where in 3 cases, the breeder had to be forced to take any money for them. In the 4th case (who won BOB Puppy in entire Brisbane Royal), the breeder asked 'What you can afford.' All they wanted was the best of good homes for the little dogs that had done their bit for the development of a specially lovely breed. The evidence is that breeders like these, are the very people not likely to swell the numbers of dogs needing rescue.

You were lucky to get such quality dogs, Im suprised the breeder didn't want to use them in thier own breeding/show programme. If I had the Puppy in Show from ANY royal, you would have to prise him/her from my cold dead hands. lol. :)

[

You were lucky to get such quality dogs, Im suprised the breeder didn't want to use them in thier own breeding/show programme. If I had the Puppy in Show from ANY royal, you would have to prise him/her from my cold dead hands. lol. :)

You need the fuller story, so you don't have nightmares of hanging on with your cold dead hands. :)

(Which I truly understand!).

Former Best Puppy in (Royal) Show & Aus Ch had her first litter of puppies at about 3 yrs. She nearly died from complications... & her 3 puppies died, too. Breeder wouldn't risk this little beauty's life with a second pregnancy. And decided she would wait until the retirement pet home she'd want, came along.

Meanwhile, I knew nothing of this. As a pet owner, I'd just 'discovered' the breed (tibetan spaniel) at the Brisbane Royal. Made enquiries of breeders re adopting one, including that lady. We had a long talk... especially about the pets we'd already owned. I sent her info by snail-mail with details & documentation. She was specially interested in our 22 yr old little mixed breed dog, rescued from dumping as a puppy, who'd just died... & had been a 'star' outpatient of the UQ Vet Clinic in her last years.

She got back to me & said she was thinking of retiring a 3 yr old girl... & would I like to meet her. Sure did... loved her on sight (pic of that day below). I figured that the little one must not be right for showing... but I didn't care. When that breeder delivered the girl to our home... she brought all her prizes including Best Puppy in Show. What??? I asked why she hadn't told me before. She said she knew I just loved the little one for herself...that's all that mattered to her. And she'd decided ours was the home she'd been looking for because we'd loved & cared for a little rescue dog for 22 yrs. So she knew we'd take care of her girl.

Other 3 ex-show girls also came from breeders like that. They'd got their championship, had their litter of puppies & those breeders believed they now deserved a good pet home for the rest of their lives. One is related to the tibbie who won Best of Breed at Crufts last year. She came to Australia from that breeder's kennels in Sweden.

When those breeders ask me, 'How is my girl going?'... it's music to my ears. These people cared about the development of their breed and their dogs' chance to become a happy pet.

post-3304-0-23652300-1358747704_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

She got back to me & said she was thinking of retiring a 3 yr old girl... & would I like to meet her. Sure did... loved her on sight (pic of that day below). I figured that the little one must not be right for showing... but I didn't care. When that breeder delivered the girl to our home... she brought all her prizes including Best Puppy in Show. What??? I asked why she hadn't told me before. She said she knew I just loved the little one for herself...that's all that mattered to her. And she'd decided ours was the home she'd been looking for because we'd loved & cared for a little rescue dog for 22 yrs. So she knew we'd take care of her special girl. And we did!

What a beautiful story Mita. :)