Meet And Greet Your Chosen Rescue Pup, What's A Fair Distance To H

gwp4me

Hi all, again I need your advise: what distance would you be required to travel, by car with your pet dog, for a Meet and Greet, with your chosen rescue dog and his foster carer?? Would 600km each way = 1200km roundtrip be seen as normal, or does the carer usually meet you at a place closer to you?? Excuse my pidgin English again, please. :)

I think a reasonable distance is whatever you see as reasonable! I had a DOL'er do a round trip from QLD to Sydney to meet a rescue dog I had. Personally, I would only travel an hour or so. I dont think you should expect a carer to travel anywhere, if they do it is only through the goodness of their heart rather than an obligation.

Good luck!:)

Agree with Clyde, that whatever you think is a reasonable distance, is a reasonable distance. My OH drove 6 hours each way to pick up our rescue girl Delta. But at the same token I would understand why someone would think that is too far :)

Maybe you could politely ask if the foster carer may be willing to meet you part way? Maybe they would be happy to do that :)

I drove 6 hours to meet Charlie at the carer's place. I took my Mum and Delta along for a roadtrip and ended up finding the best dog-friendly place to stay for the weekend and went back 3 months later with both dogs purely for a holiday!

Some carers would be happy to travel, depending on the distance, but they certainly wouldn't be obliged to.

ETA: That was 6 hours each way. Well... 6hrs to where we stayed, 30mins to the carers place, 30 mins back to place we stayed, then 6hrs home.

He was not yet desexed so I couldn't take him home with me. His carer paid for him to be flown to me a few days later after his op, although I would have been prepared to drive back up again if need be. I can't remember what I was doing workwise at the time but pretty sure staying the extra few days wasn't an option.

Edited by DeltaCharlie

The benefits of modern technology, first you can have many pics via mobile and or computer, then there is option of video conferences via skype or you tube, with dog shown doing various activities and interacting with human and other dogs etc.

If after seeing all this and I was satisfied with + all other boxes were checked and correct I would pursue if I felt this dog was right one for me. I know people who have flown from Australia to Europe to chose a puppy from a breeder to have imported for their kennel lines etc, but this is more a business element then just a pet, however these people could simply say yes whatever pup you think is best and leave it all up to the breeder.

I personally travelled over 5000klm to collect my older dog when he was a puppy, and he is not a pedigree or a stud muffin, just a very very special dog. :D

Hi all, again I need your advise: what distance would you be required to travel, by car with your pet dog, for a Meet and Greet, with your chosen rescue dog and his foster carer?? Would 600km each way = 1200km roundtrip be seen as normal, or does the carer usually meet you at a place closer to you?? Excuse my pidgin English again, please. :)

It all depends! I was quite shocked that Frida's whole family (mum, dad, 13 and 7 year old kids) drove all the way from Inverloch in Victoria to Canberra (9+ hours to see her!) - although she really is a cutie :)

frida39.jpg

On a more serious note, it really varies. We've seen many families travel across the country just to meet up with their rescue dog (bringing the whole family and their resident dog) and there are other families that try to demand that the carer go to them. Sometimes the carers will attempt to meet at a suitable midway point. We've been lucky that apart from Frida, our prospective families also lived in/near Canberra so we would take the dog to the applicant's house.

Edited by koalathebear

They are willing to sent this dog interstate, would the adopter then have to fly in with her pet dog for the Meet and Greet? Anyhow, that would have to be worked out. So okay, since about four weeks I am chewing on my chosen rescue dog, story goes like this: Introduced myself/my pets to rescue org, (pm on facebook) was advised that dog is still available, after that I sent email, asking to please put dog on hold, was advised dog still available, but I had to pay deposit to put on hold, but please ring carer. I rang carer straight away, who said (too late) someone is looking at the dog, then a few days later rang carer, who said dog is being picked up..., few days later, rang carer, who said dog found a new home, and unlikely to come back on the market, as family has bonded with him. I asked to be notified if pet should be returned to rescue org., no go. In the meantime, I watched daily, this dog was never taken off the market, is still listed as being for sale, at 1) petrescue - where the page was updated only two days ago, 2) on their own webpage, 3) at their facebook page, where they did not answer the 2x questions, about wether this pet was adopted. :confused: New to this game, tricky one!

Yes as KTB says, if it seems like there is something fishy going on, and you feel as though you're not getting straight answers then it is best to look elsewhere for a dog. You need to feel comfortable with both the organisation and the foster carer as you would with a breeder :)

I've had someone fly in twice from Alice Springs to Brisbane to do meet and greets with a dog before deciding to adopt her.

I will offer to pay for the fuel, if I get to the bottom of this, and start to reapply. It's just me, if I find something I like, I try to get it and will treasure/keep it forever. Never given an animal back, always try to work with it. My last GWP puppy, I found advertised on Dolforum, I bought him unseen, had him sent up from Melbourne, by Jetpet, I would fight for him. Same for the last TB horse I bought from NSW TRT, through Facebook, absolutely perfect. So if I want it, I keep it, but how would they know what home I offer? I also speak with an accent, which does not help, as my daughter pointed out. :laugh:

I had a family travel five hours each way to visit one of my foster dogs, then I travelled the same distance to take him there and do the property check. But I had screened them thoroughly before they drove down here so I had a pretty good idea it was going to work out and there was no unnecessary travelling.

I agree with Clyde's comments - that 'reasonable' is what all parties determine is reasonable.

When I was meeting up with Kisho for the first time through Mama Moocher (aka Danny's Darling), I was prepared to go to her home in Sydney. She was prepared to come to my place in Canberra. I had to talk her out of this and suggest we meet halfway - and we did in Bowral. right or wrong - who knows. It was neutral territory, but then it appeared all dogs acted differently as they were more interested in checking out the 'new park'. I brought a picnic for all of us to share (to make it more of an outing). There was what I considered a very nominal fee attached to Kisho and I gave Mama Moocher more - which would've easily covered her petrol. It was more to cover the costs of all the treatment, medication she had given him.

I would've happily driven to Sydney to meet Kisho (that's a big thing for me to say as I wouldn't drive from Canberra to Sydney for anything else but a dog! It wasn't my idea of fun!). What would I do now that I have him? Grab a Virgin Intergalactic flight and got to the moon and back). He's the best thing that's happened to our family! Now we just want Mama Moocher to visit him in his new place in Altona and see how cool he is hanging out at the beach! :) (sadly, she didn't make it to Canberra to see him there).

I've been Sydney - Wollongong and Sydney - Central Coast.

Too much distance eg interstate makes it very difficult if it doesn't work out.

I know someone who successfully did the Canberra - Sydney run.

I guess people will go to any length for their ideal dog.

They are willing to sent this dog interstate, would the adopter then have to fly in with her pet dog for the Meet and Greet? Anyhow, that would have to be worked out. So okay, since about four weeks I am chewing on my chosen rescue dog, story goes like this: Introduced myself/my pets to rescue org, (pm on facebook) was advised that dog is still available, after that I sent email, asking to please put dog on hold, was advised dog still available, but I had to pay deposit to put on hold, but please ring carer. I rang carer straight away, who said (too late) someone is looking at the dog, then a few days later rang carer, who said dog is being picked up..., few days later, rang carer, who said dog found a new home, and unlikely to come back on the market, as family has bonded with him. I asked to be notified if pet should be returned to rescue org., no go. In the meantime, I watched daily, this dog was never taken off the market, is still listed as being for sale, at 1) petrescue - where the page was updated only two days ago, 2) on their own webpage, 3) at their facebook page, where they did not answer the 2x questions, about wether this pet was adopted. :confused: New to this game, tricky one!

Sounds very fishy - would not be paying anything. Maybe they have decided, for whatever reason, you're unsuitable. Weird! Also possible they leave on there during the "trial period" in case it doesn't work out.

I am sure there is a suitable dog just waiting for you to find it ...much closer to home :) There are so many gorgeous dogs who you can meet first up and feel that amazing 'click' ..without the anxious to-ing and fro-ing of internet/phone communication ...

Best of luck.

We're driving an hour tomorrow, and meeting on neutral territory only 5 mins from the carer's home, However i'd definitely be willing to travel up to a few hours. I wouldn't expect the carer to meet half way, but would appreciate them being accommodating if one of the existing dogs was coming along for the m&g and find somewhere closeby to their house that is neutral.

In your situation, i'd be running a million miles an hour and looking elsewhere though, it sounds fishy.

Edited by Bundyburger

Very fishy indeed. Would you believe this, I just noticed that today Dog Rescue Newcastle have deleted the two posts of mine, on their Facebook page, where I was asking wether the Dallas puppy I was interested in, is adopted or sold and money paid, or if I can put a deposit on him. This is of interest to me, as the foster carer still says he is sold, and DRN think he is still available, anyhow he is still marketed as available, and they are not interested to answer to the public. That dog was once advertised on Gumtree, and then displayed as sold three weeks ago.

They also blocked me out, so I cannot message them or write on their Facebook page. How cool is that? :eek:

Edited by gwp4me