Well You Shouldn"t Have Walked Through The Gate

Guest muttrus

Guest muttrus

I live in light industrial street there are the carvial people who live and work on their trucks just up the road .Across from them lives a family with two young kids.After the wife"s mastiff passed away the husband got these two terrier type pure bred dogs (he had the breed as a child and always wanted them )

There is a lady who walks her lab every afternoon without fail on a lead up our street.ONE day we were in our loungeroom and heard screams and them massive amount of dogs barking and a woman calling out .We raced out the front gate and saw 3 men kicking a dog who was attached to the lab .The owner of the lab was panicing and the dogs wouldn"t let go .My hubby ran up to help finally the two terrier dogs released and the woman turned and walked very fast away the dogs then ran after her .It took 4 men all up to stop the dogs.My hubby put leads on the two dogs and was confronted as the men thought he owned the dogs.

Hubby explained we didn"t own the dogs but knew who did. I wrote a letter explaining what happened and we put the dogs back in the yard and locked the gate .The lady never has walked up our street again.

NOW the owner of said dogs happens to be the mother of our 7 year old daughters friend .The other day my dog 8 years old 49kgs qld bull arab x was asleep in our front yard .My big dogs are only allowed in the front yard when we are home its fully fenced with colourbond.

Anyway she came and just walked in the gate my boy startled raceup and din"t touch her but scared her. She has never been in our yard before ---She then proceeded to tell me my dog was dangerous and how dare he so on.I said hë isn"t dangerous you walked into a yard with a dog who doesn"t know you and he let you know he was here.

No more was said and she left. TODAY I asked my daughter to set up a play date with this womans daughter afterall they live 4 houses up. My daughter said "" her mum said she can never come over because our dog kane was too dangerous""

Well didn"t I defend my dog like I would my kid I told her the story of what her dogs did that day she denied it saying there was NO WAY her dogs would do that and I was so wrong I told her there were at very least 5 witnesses to the attack she still wouldn"t believe me.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

As for my dogs and my foster dogs I never leave any kids alone with any dog and when kids come to play the dogs are out the back kids out the front .I have had over 200 foster dogs here with kane which means well over 200 families have come here and more than half have played with kane -----as he is a pound dog I always use him to show off how good some poundies can be. Ive even had a number of people offer to buy him.

unlike our chi who launches herself barking like mad at some people the most kane would do is lick you to death .

WHY is it big dogs get a bad wrap just fro being big and people refuse to accept that little dogs can be aggressive post-33936-0-73789300-1360047864_thumb.jpg

post-33936-0-21871900-1360047907_thumb.jpg Kane is only allowed inside when its really hot he sleeps outside on a covered deck with his own lounge this photo was snapped as he freaked out at fireworks and went straight into our daughters bed.

People have the right to unobstructed access to your front door. If you don't want people walking in your front yard then put a lock on the door. How else is she going to come and knock on your door? What if it was a salesperson or a girl scout? What if your dog had gone further than just rushing and barking?

Big dogs do get a bad rap - Sophie (GSD) has people cowering in fear at the off leash park when she's boings around and zoomies after all the other dogs - she's harmless.

That said I would never have a front door behind gates with a dog in the front yard - because yes, people sometimes need to knock on the door. Infact when i'm sending police to someones place (because I work for them, not because i'm a crazy lady reporting my neighbours lol) I always ask if there's a dog in the yard and can officers get to the front door safely - I think they have enough to worry about without coming across a nasty dog.

ETA : I'm not suggesting your dog is nasty at all, but some peoples are and you have to question their motives in having the dogs blocking access to the property, and people that are scared of dogs are just going to see a big dog and S*$# themselves.

Edited by Nic oh lah

People have the right to unobstructed access to your front door. If you don't want people walking in your front yard then put a lock on the door. How else is she going to come and knock on your door? What if it was a salesperson or a girl scout? What if your dog had gone further than just rushing and barking?

Why do people have a "right" to someone's front door? Front yards are still private property, I don't think anyone has a right to it except the property occupants.

Why do people have a "right" to someone's front door? Front yards are still private property, I don't think anyone has a right to it except the property occupants.

I think it's actually the law. That a person must be able to get to your front door without being threatened by a dog. It rings a bell anyway.

I padlock my front gate when Im out so that people cant set foot in my front garden as I have a dog in there.

Yeah I think it's a law. It's BS. My dogs are never in the front yard without me and we have a big fence too, so it wouldn't ever be an issue, BUT I believe my front yard is my front yard and noone has any business there unless invited or in the case of an emergency, firies/ambos etc.

Edited by Aussie3

I think it's actually the law. That a person must be able to get to your front door without being threatened by a dog. It rings a bell anyway.

I padlock my front gate when Im out so that people cant set foot in my front garden as I have a dog in there.

As far as I know, access has to be provided for certain people- police, fire, ambos, gas/electricity providers.

Around here, the rule is simple- does aren't allowed to play in the front yard unless being directly supervised (as in, standing out there with them). It's a good rule to have for a number of reasons- safety of visitors, minimising any risk of harm to our dogs and to make sure that they can't get out (if someone were to open the gate without checking for the dogs first).

It's easy to say "Oh, my big dog wouldn't hurt a fly" (I know mine wouldn't) but not all people are comfortable around big dogs and to have a big dog rush at you, even if the dog is just "showing a visitor that they're there", has the potential to really frighten someone.

I don't know about "having a right" to get to the front door, but I know that as long as they have a legitimate reason to approach the door they're not tresspassing and should be able to do so - I just think it's reasonable to allow people to approach your house.

Yeah, you can get estimates done and call therm with the correct readings if there is no access though.

They bill ours based on our past average usage on the basis that once a year we allow them access to our yard when we're there to supervise them and the dogs - but our electricity meter is behind a 7ft padlocked fence with my dogs in that yard. It's not my front door.

A person invited on to your property, for example for a garage sale or an open house inspection, is only entitled to be there for that purpose and their right to remain evaporates as soon as you ask them to leave. A person who enters with a particular purpose (for example, a door-to-door salesman or a neighbour visiting) has an implied right to come onto your property and up to your door. But as soon as you withdraw your consent by asking them to leave, they must do so, as they are now trespassing.

Link.

I'd suggest putting a "No Entry" sign up or locking the gate. Both are usually good enough to then class someone as trespassing on your land if they proceed onto it and if your dog rushes them, any complaint made against him would have zero grounds whatsoever.

Plenty of people in my area have restricted access to front yards, including me. I lock my front gate. If it is law here it is not very well regulated.

But I would never leave my dogs out the front if there was any chance someone could open a gate and come in or let them out.

Guess you have lost a friend that you didn't really need or like so much. Shame for the girls though. Awkward them being friends in this situation.

More sensible not to leave a dog in the front yard unless the gate is locked from inside or padlocked.

Guess you have lost a friend that you didn't really need or like so much. Shame for the girls though. Awkward them being friends in this situation.

More sensible not to leave a dog in the front yard unless the gate is locked from inside or padlocked.

Agree.

Guest muttrus

We only have the dogs in the front random and ONLY while we are there .The electric guy knows us well We padlock when out but dogs are out the back anyway AS FOR allowing people to come in that went out the window the day the junkie around the corner walked in our yard smashed through our door and punched me in the face!

As for police well they only came after our neighbour said he had a gun even though we were on the phone and they could hear what was happening .He was charged they used cap spray and he had to pay for a new door which we now have a you beaut strong security door :D

So wether Im suppose to or not I don"t care I value my safety and once its happened you never look at things the same way again So if its a parcel and they can"t get in a note is left in the letter box as for sales people they usually hear a dog bark and move on its actually the churchies who will walk through a pack of dogs to get to my door ---Maybe they sense a couple of metal heads inside and want to save us .

Whatever the law or reason I don"t live in fear but I am more alert now than before ---- Anyway its a story and my life has never been straight forward but I love kane and I just hope this woman doesn"t find out the hard way that not all dogs even her own are as safe as you may think simply because they are small .