Doggy Smell In Your House

dogsforjane

It's interesting isn't it? Lili my Aussie never smells, her coat even sometimes smells nice, like it has a perfume or something on it :confused: , but my boy Mosley can get quite doggy and is responsible for most of the smells in the house :laugh:

Yes, some dogs definitely smell more than others.

leather lounges, no carpet (timber & tiles), minimum of mats & cushions which I sacrifice for new ones if there is a doggy odour, bath & groom dogs once a week, house is left aired most of the time with triple lock crimsafe screen doors & window locks even when I am at work.

And dare I say some types of dogs do have slightly more of a doggy smell.

As cricket says. You need to look at your furnishings and investigate where smells can be trapped.

Can't smell a thing in my house.

What :eek: Not even the smell of hot buttered toast and vegemite??

Back to doggy smells: Get rid of carpet - LOL. Have only mats that can be washed in the washing machine or hosed down and left in sun to dry. Have lots of dog bedding and change every couple of days, look at the sort of bedding you buy to ensure it can be washed in washing machine. No point in having a clean dog if he or she is going to lie on not as clean bedding. As someone else has said, try to dry bedding in the sun - the sun is a great disinfectant.

Look at areas where smells can be trapped: curtains that touch the floor, corners where hair can be trapped, empty the vacuum cleaner regularly or use an essential oil like lavender in the filter, change cushion covers and put cushions out in the sun to air. Anything that the dogs can brush up against regularly such as doorways.

And don't forget collars, leads, harnesses. These need to be washed regularly as well. I put mine in washing bags so the metal fasteners aren't banging against the washing machine barrel.

Candles and essential oils are all very well (I have recently weakened and have been using Febreze even though I have a horror of all the chemicals that we are putting into the atmosphere), but nothing beats a bit of elbow grease, something I have to tell myself on a very regular basis.

BTW, what breed is your puppy?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a breed that has a distinctive odour - I wash bedding daily (I use vet bed so it washes & dries easily), I vacuum and sweep at least once a day, often more, I mop once a week and I have automatic deodorising sprays that help. My vacuum is a bagless one as I found that when using a better quality vacuum with bags the smell stuck in the vacuum more. I have no doubt that my house still smells like a dog house to a degree but we try to limit it as much as possible.

I don't *think* my house has a doggy smell. But maybe I'm in denial? :laugh:

My breed is very short-coated, perhaps that helps. As others have said, having hard floors rather than carpet helps too. As does weekly cleaning and washing dog bedding. I mop my wood floors with hot water and eucalyptus oil. It smells nice and kills dust mites (which my dog is allergic to). I also throw a capful of eucalyptus oil in when I wash the dog bedding.

Congratulations on your new puppy. Do we get to see a photo? :D

Edited by trinabean

Back to doggy smells: Get rid of carpet - LOL. Have only mats that can be washed in the washing machine or hosed down and left in sun to dry. Have lots of dog bedding and change every couple of days, look at the sort of bedding you buy to ensure it can be washed in washing machine. No point in having a clean dog if he or she is going to lie on not as clean bedding. As someone else has said, try to dry bedding in the sun - the sun is a great disinfectant.

Look at areas where smells can be trapped: curtains that touch the floor, corners where hair can be trapped, empty the vacuum cleaner regularly or use an essential oil like lavender in the filter, change cushion covers and put cushions out in the sun to air. Anything that the dogs can brush up against regularly such as doorways.

And don't forget collars, leads, harnesses. These need to be washed regularly as well. I put mine in washing bags so the metal fasteners aren't banging against the washing machine barrel.

Candles and essential oils are all very well (I have recently weakened and have been using Febreze even though I have a horror of all the chemicals that we are putting into the atmosphere), but nothing beats a bit of elbow grease, something I have to tell myself on a very regular basis.

Agree with all this ^^

I have multiple dogs here as I also run a small rescue, all the dogs have food with no preservatives or additives. They don't have toxins coming out through their skin, so no 'doggy smell' :)

Bedding and blankies are washed at least once a week, floors are mopped every day or two. Even though my fabric lounge suite was cleaned regularly, it's a fave place for the dogs to chill, so I gave it away and bought a second hand faux leather lounge from Gumtree.

There were carpets here when I first moved in but I've replaced them with lino. Much easier to keep clean especially with new, usually un-housetrained dogs coming in :grimace:

I also use scented candles, not so much to hide any smells but because I love them and love having a gentle scent in the air.

I've been pleasantly surprised when people come to visit and mention that there's no doggy smell :)

If you do have carpet, an extraction cleaner is a godsend. My dogs don't smell (or shed) so it's not doggy smell, as much as.. just... dogs running around, making things dirtier and grottier faster than they otherwise would! :laugh:

I have a rug in the lounge room which is kind of .. dark red/bright maroon which doesn't show dirt that much, but when I clean it with the extraction cleaner... :vomit: The "water" (read: toxic waste) is filthy. I also foster, so sometimes have little accidents to deal with, and the extraction cleaner is great for them too, and just generally freshening up the carpet upstairs.

Mine is this Bissell one - basically you push it along like a vacuum cleaner (after vacuuming) and it releases water and cleaning fluid on to the carpet, then you go over it again and it sucks all the gunk out. The machine has a clear plastic part at hte front, so you can see the colour of the water and the bits of crud being sucked out of the carpet. Once it starts getting clear, it's the best feeling in the world :D (simple pleasures...)

post-38509-0-88780000-1360548499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alkhe

My house doesn't smell - I have floorboards and no carpet at all. I also open windows and doors and we get a nice breeze.

I don't believe my dogs smell "doggy" either so I think that helps.

I have asked a few people as I didn't want it to smell and me just be immune to it!

Can't smell a thing in my house.

What :eek: Not even the smell of hot buttered toast and vegemite??

I can smell mould and lemon. That's pretty much it. :(

Oil of cloves is great for getting rid of mould, it kills the spores.

I have greyhounds that have no odour. I have friends that are amazed when they pat them and there is no smell and I only bath them once a year.

She is an english cocker spaniel! We have no carpet, all timber floors throughout the entire house and I also vacuum every 2days but still there is a certain distinct doggy smell we never had beforeconfused.gif . It is faint enough that I can cover it up by burning some scented candles but still, I know it is there... Perhaps I need to start washing her weekly, including her bedding. I thought washing the dog with dog shampoo frequently was not so good for their coat and skin so have been putting it off and only rinsing her in water every few days. I have washed her with dog shampoo all up once in the past month I've had her.

I also feed her mainly raw with kibble. I might need to change her kibble for a while and see if it helps!

Congratulations on your new puppy. Do we get to see a photo? :D

This is the fur baby of mine that is letting off a delightful new odour in our homelaugh.gif

post-47624-0-38311100-1360553099_thumb.jpg

Edited by dogsforjane

Guest crickets

Your puppy is probably perfectly healthy but Cocker Spaniels have 2 conditions that crop up sometimes both having distinct odours.

Firstly they do seem prone to ear infections. Having such lovely furry floppy ears makes for a dark, warm & moist environment which is a delight to bacteria who will move in & set up home given the opportunity. You can check for ear problems by sticking your nose right up to the ear. There really shouldn't be any distinct smell. If you reel back with a nasty smell up your nose, be sure to get off to the vet asap. Sometimes in the early stages of an ear problem you will only notice a vague smell but the dog may rub its ears with its foot, or along the floor, or shake its head a fair bit, or shy away from being petted around the ears. You may also notice a dark brown or yellowish discharge. The ear opening should look clean fresh & pink. If there is redness or thick angry looking skin you may have a problem.

The second problem is a flew infection. Cockers can be quite loose around the jowls & have a deep flew pocket. That loose area of skin about 1/2 way along the bottom outside lip. If you have a pup with problematic flews, bits of food, saliva & other material can get trapped there and go rotten, creating quite a nasty odour, and sometimes a subsequent infection. Again try the sniff test and also wipe the pups jowls and keep them as dry as possible if you think you have a problem there. I have known several Cockers who have had the most rotten rotten smell associated with flew infections, and these dogs have all ended up basically having plastic surgery to remove a piece of the lip and tighten the area up.

The first is reasonably common and the second less so, but both present in some Cockers. Talk to your breeder & vet for more info. These 2 issues can produce very 'doggy odours' and neither will be cleared up without veterinary intervention. You may like to speak to your vet/breeder about a maintenance routine to help prevent ear infections.

Also sometimes they get food & other material stuck on the ends of their ears which can get stinky quite quickly. Tips for that are to teach your pup to wear a snood for eating, and brush the bottom of the ears more frequently, possibly putting a little grooming powder or spray on them before brushing it through.

gosh just thought of another thing I see all too often with pups....if puppy chews on soft toys and materials check in her mouth to see if anything is stuck in or wrapped around her teeth. I have many a time pulled threads & fluff from around teeth which has gone all stinky & rotten, and in a couple of cases damaged the tooth/gums as well.

Edited by crickets

This is the fur baby of mine that is letting off a delightful new odour in our home

OMG, how can you defame such a glorious creature. Any odour given off by her could only remind one of roses. :laugh: :laugh:

Oil of cloves for mould - I was given this tip by a chap at Woolies as I was looking for something to give my washing machine a clean as all around the rubber rim had gone mouldy and the smell was awful and pervasive. I now shake a few drops of Oil of Cloves onto a damp cloth and wipe around the rim. Smell gone.

Some breeds I've noticed have a stronger smell than others. Cockers are one of those breeds.

I wouldn't stress about it, I have 4 dogs that are all inside the house when we are home and there is always 2 dogs inside even when we're out so there is a slight dog smell to my house most of the time.its not overbearing and its usually not noticeable as I clean floors equally and we have no carpet. My dogs are washed weekly and eat a mostly raw diet so its just one of those things. I don't find it offensive at all, in fact it's kind of comforting :)

I have to say that at the moment it's a bit wiffy here as Simi is in season and that's a whole different smell!

We have wooden floors which helps with the dog smell; these are vacuumed weekly.

The front door is opened as much as possible allowing the screen door to do its job and we have candles going pretty much all the time. Also the dog beds are washed regularly as well as the pooches.

Both my sister and mother who are fussy, comment that the house does not smell like dog at all.

The same as this, except I vacuum daily (Roomba is a godsend).

The dogs are groomed fortnightly, their beds are washed up to 2 times per week and I don't allow them on furnishings. I burn candles and I clean up any messes immediately and thankfully, having adult dogs, this isn't very often.

Airing your house is also very important.

I have Whippets and now a new shorthaired Border Collie. He was bit wiffy when he first arrived but is fine since he had a bath those few weeks ago.

The Whippets just don't smell, I have not washed them for months and they still don't smell. I also have a DSH cat and 2 Sphynx cats. The Sphynx do get washed often as left for more than 2 weeks and they get a smell that is not really offensive but up close and personal you notice. We have tiles with some carpet mats and a leather lounge. Puppy pen has towels and polar fleece blankets which are washed often.

I have an air purifier thingo you put water in and it pulls it through the water and send send out again ( i have it in an attempt to reduce the dust in my house), you can put a drop or two or essential oils in that and it helps with distributing a fresh smell through the house.

I have noticed certain breeds tend to have more doggy smell than others, most noticably Golder Retrievers, GSD's and Cockers among a few breeds. I think the single coated breeds tend to smell less in general, then of course diet etc comes into it as well.

I have also decided if I had no kids in my house it would stay far tidier and have less smells :D

I am saving for a Roomba :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

I don't do anything about it; I love their doggy smell :o :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

I think my house smells worse from my other pets then from my dogs...the rabbits are the worst, followed by the hamster, but keeping the cages clean keeps the smell down pretty well. the only other smell is when its humid the gerbil's bedding gets damp and damp bedding smell's awful. we clean everything with Vinegar in any case..I keeps birds so most scented things are out of the question.

We have 2 dogs- a lab and a GSD. Two of the most potentially "smelly" breeds lol. I don't notice any doggy smell and friends and visitors haven't said anything either.

Neither dog smells particularly doggy. I use essential 6 spot on for mindys atopy which is a scented omega 3 and 6 spot on. It smells quite nice.

Our house is quite large and airy though.

Hmmm. I wouldn't go that far!!

Roo by all account doesn't leave a smell in the house, but my place is open plan, floorboards, and big windows I always have open so that has to help.

Apparently my car is another story altogether!

Ha ha ha - I had to laugh at this. My car has carried so many dogs over the years, so many "accidents", so much car sickness, etc etc. Whenever I have a passenger (human that is) I cover the seat with a towel as dog hair is almost impossible to get out of cars. New seat covers are on my shopping list.