A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lhok, yeah, Nixon has been fairly restrained with his toys really - has only de-stuffed one so far... (Luckily a $3 kmart one). I usually keep that teddy as his night teddy, because he likes to sleep with his head on something, and the squeakers in that bear are way less obnoxious that some of the others he has. It seems particularly well made too, which helps! Any toys I leave with him during the day end up completely manky and there's no way they'd be coming into my bedroom!! :)

Did Raiden destroy his bear?

How photogenic is Tango? In in the pics you can tell they are quite different boys.

Here's my current favorite if Willow. She'd been playing pretty hard at home and then started falling asleep as soon as she got settled at work.

48EDF75C-E405-4573-85D9-E7BF8DC93BAB-24154-0000052881F792D3.jpg

We weighed her again today, 1 kg in 3 days!!! She's now over 10kg. Pretty soon she'll be bigger than her bestie, Dory (14kg)

169CA8E8-FBE0-4658-A1D4-064164B983C5-24154-000005287279F58C.jpg

Steph, I love your pics of Gus. Reminds me of a very, very sweet Flattie we had coming in. She was so stoic and happy.

Whippy, Sighthounds are so regal. I'll never forget holding the leash of a very distinguished Afghan for his owner. He was stunning. He gave me a very disdainful up and down, took two steps away as if to disassociate from me. I felt dismissed and not good enough all in one glance. LOL. His owner told me he often made her feel the same. (I still thought he was gorgeous)

Hi Lhok, yeah, Nixon has been fairly restrained with his toys really - has only de-stuffed one so far... (Luckily a $3 kmart one). I usually keep that teddy as his night teddy, because he likes to sleep with his head on something, and the squeakers in that bear are way less obnoxious that some of the others he has. It seems particularly well made too, which helps! Any toys I leave with him during the day end up completely manky and there's no way they'd be coming into my bedroom!! :)

Did Raiden destroy his bear?

Yeah Raiden destroyed his squeaky bear, and ran away with my mum's ugg boot and one of my daughter's bears although he didn't destuff/destroy them. I also gave him another rabbit looking thing when he first came home and he snuggled up to it and would go looking for it every night if it wasn't in his crate.

--Lhok

Raiden must have been adorable with his bunny. I'd love to see a pic, if you have any, and it isn't too hard for you at the moment?

Nixon also has an ugg boot fetish. It's particularly bad now he's teething - he won't wait til they're off my feet before attacking! Particularly if I have my feet up on the recliner he leaps straight up and starts chewing them on my feet. I really hope he grows out of that cos it's very frustrating! Any unattended shoes are instantly stolen, but I think the order of preference goes: ugg boots, thongs, other shoes... ratbag :)

Steph, I love your pics of Gus. Reminds me of a very, very sweet Flattie we had coming in. She was so stoic and happy.

Whippy, Sighthounds are so regal. I'll never forget holding the leash of a very distinguished Afghan for his owner. He was stunning. He gave me a very disdainful up and down, took two steps away as if to disassociate from me. I felt dismissed and not good enough all in one glance. LOL. His owner told me he often made her feel the same. (I still thought he was gorgeous)

He's so lovely when he's being good. He's also a sap for the shoes, if you've left them on the floor or aren't watching your feet, even if you're walking, he's there. I try really hard not to tread on him, but when he's launching a sneak attack on my moving feet I can't help it. He gets so upset too!

Lucky he's learning to leave the shoes and things, he knows he gets a grumble when that happens.

I have to admit to have been a bit short with him this weekend, i've been sick all weekend (stomach cramps and nausea, oh the joys never cease!) and he's been really misbehaving. Peed inside for the 3rd time ever, my fault but I just couldn't bend far enough to clean it so I really got sooky.

We went for a walk to the local football field cause he was driving me bananas, and I think he knew I wasn't having fun so he didn't either, I felt awful after but I just wasn't feeling well at all.

Then he refused to sleep past 4 and I was exhausted, that was the icing on the cake and I just burst into exhausted sick tears and I think I worried him a bit, OH went to pop him back in bed but he's slept badly after 4 since then, my fault but now I'm feeling better I feel soooooo baddddd.

I'll have to spend some quality time tonight when I get home. No rushing about, lots of fun games and cuddles and things. Puppy school tomorrow so he'll brighten up seeing some other pooches!

He's so lovely when he's being good. He's also a sap for the shoes, if you've left them on the floor or aren't watching your feet, even if you're walking, he's there. I try really hard not to tread on him, but when he's launching a sneak attack on my moving feet I can't help it. He gets so upset too!

Lucky he's learning to leave the shoes and things, he knows he gets a grumble when that happens.

I have to admit to have been a bit short with him this weekend, i've been sick all weekend (stomach cramps and nausea, oh the joys never cease!) and he's been really misbehaving. Peed inside for the 3rd time ever, my fault but I just couldn't bend far enough to clean it so I really got sooky.

We went for a walk to the local football field cause he was driving me bananas, and I think he knew I wasn't having fun so he didn't either, I felt awful after but I just wasn't feeling well at all.

Then he refused to sleep past 4 and I was exhausted, that was the icing on the cake and I just burst into exhausted sick tears and I think I worried him a bit, OH went to pop him back in bed but he's slept badly after 4 since then, my fault but now I'm feeling better I feel soooooo baddddd.

I'll have to spend some quality time tonight when I get home. No rushing about, lots of fun games and cuddles and things. Puppy school tomorrow so he'll brighten up seeing some other pooches!

Don't worry steph, the pup needs to learn and its a process, Koda ran full speed out the back door today but my OH left the safety grate only half open and he hit it full pelt :( he is fine (thank god) but the safety grate is broken lol.

He has learn't though that running full pelt while in the house is bad.

Shoes took a while and occasionally I am having to remind him, but we have got to the stage now where I can leave shoes and socks on the floor without major worry.

Shoes took a while and occasionally I am having to remind him, but we have got to the stage now where I can leave shoes and socks on the floor without major worry.

OMG you must be a genius!

I'm hanging out for Nixon's basic obedience class which starts in 2 weeks. We're doing pretty well with his training in a lot of areas, but I have no idea how to deal with the shoe issue. I'm hoping it will settle a lot when he's done teething - his mouth looks so painful at the moment, poor baby...

OMG you must be a genius!

I'm hanging out for Nixon's basic obedience class which starts in 2 weeks. We're doing pretty well with his training in a lot of areas, but I have no idea how to deal with the shoe issue. I'm hoping it will settle a lot when he's done teething - his mouth looks so painful at the moment, poor baby...

It could be a breed thing, I know I saw allot of shoes not touched at the breeders home. I don't give him a chance to grab one really, as soon as I see him going for one or having a good look at one I warm him, he got the idea pretty quick, I also never give chase when he has a shoe in his mouth, otherwise its a game for him, the first time he did grab one I was probably a bit too loud but I think he understand as he dropped it immediately, socks are another issue, he drops when asked but I think the smell is sometimes too enticing lol...

I try to mental train at least 5min a day, I'm working on "roll over" at the moment, he has down pat so far:

sit

down (lie down) - if he is hyper can be a little naughty and only squats lol

up (get up on the item I point at)

paw (place front paws on the place i point at)

hold (can get about 7 full paces back now before he starts to think about moving)

Touch (I use a stick and tell him to touch and he touches the end with his nose)

Sounds like you're doing really well!Nixon masters most formal training pretty easily, but I really struggle with the behavioural stuff.

We need to work on 'on your mat' a lot more, but unless I stand beside it with a bag of treats we don't get anywhere.

He has 'sit'

'Lie down'

'Roll over'

And a very good 'stay' (in a controlled environment). I can turn my back and walk the length of the yard now, and he won't come until I say so.

Also 'shake'.

He'll ignore me on most of these if I don't have treats though!

I found the trick to roll over, is how you move the treat. Start with it close to his nose, then go diagonally back towards his shoulder. He'll roll without even meaning to :)

Edited by aliwake

We just had our first real naughty puppy moment.

I emailed Brooke to ask if Gus had had lunch and got back this;

"Heard pup chomping on something earlier, found him in his corner chewing the foil dish from desert. Also had a neat pile of a carrot skin, some green veggie scraps and the sardine tin.

When I walked in, he dropped it and power-walked outside to hide, which is when I realized the bin was overturned and everything dragged out onto the kitchen floor, with a poop in the middle of the garbage pile."

I have to say, he's a class act if nothing else. :rofl:

Pup knows what he likes, apparently apple crumble and foil, but not brussel sprouts or carrots. So much so he cr*ps on them in disgust. Or was having too much fun to go outside, knew that the jig would be up if he asked to go out. Hahahaha.

Sounds like you're doing really well!Nixon masters most formal training pretty easily, but I really struggle with the behavioural stuff.

We need to work on 'on your mat' a lot more, but unless I stand beside it with a bag of treats we don't get anywhere.

He has 'sit'

'Lie down'

'Roll over'

And a very good 'stay' (in a controlled environment). I can turn my back and walk the length of the yard now, and he won't come until I say so.

Also 'shake'.

He'll ignore me on most of these if I don't have treats though!

I found the trick to roll over, is how you move the treat. Start with it close to his nose, then go diagonally back towards his shoulder. He'll roll without even meaning to :)

We're at about the same level, and about the same level of respect, it seems!

We just had our first real naughty puppy moment.

I emailed Brooke to ask if Gus had had lunch and got back this;

"Heard pup chomping on something earlier, found him in his corner chewing the foil dish from desert. Also had a neat pile of a carrot skin, some green veggie scraps and the sardine tin.

When I walked in, he dropped it and power-walked outside to hide, which is when I realized the bin was overturned and everything dragged out onto the kitchen floor, with a poop in the middle of the garbage pile."

I have to say, he's a class act if nothing else. :rofl:

Pup knows what he likes, apparently apple crumble and foil, but not brussel sprouts or carrots. So much so he cr*ps on them in disgust. Or was having too much fun to go outside, knew that the jig would be up if he asked to go out. Hahahaha.

Love it!

Willows thing is TV remotes. Dory is the destructor, but only since Willow.

Our bin animal is the littlest of the bunch. Perhaps I should have thought more before dubbing her 'Bungee Bincat Panther Pants'. She also steals the dish cloth, never find it in the same place twice. (She's only 2kg!)