A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

my problem is I've started leaving my warm clothes (including ugg boots) in the bathroom at night, so Nixon won't eat/sleep on them. Makes it hard to cover up in a hurry when you need to get up for a toilet run during the night.

He would never settle to sleep with ugg boots in the same room, and he's started lying on my clothes pile to put himself to sleep...

Given I do have a mild dog allergy - I try to avoid wearing any clothes he's been sleeping on!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will you think of that at 3am while running for the loo though?

My neighbours, lest they ever look over the fence at night might be treated to me in my undies and a hoodie hopping from foot to foot almost squealing the wee command. Hahaha. I am a gift.

Beats boyfriends idea, he thought you should show puppy where to wee, I will never forget the day I looked out the kitchen window to see them side by side, both peeing into the wind.

God, we're such bogans sometimes. Hahaha.

what a great Dad your partner is Steph... pity you didn't video it for posterity... :rofl:

In one respect Iam happy not to be toilet training in Armidale in the winter time..... minus 6 or worse is Waaaaay too cold for me.

Di

I was in disbelief really. And then fits of laughter.

He's definately the softer one of the two of us and Gus has worked that out and takes a bit of advantage, I have to toughen him up a bit.

Ooooh we don't get that cold! I would be throwing him out the door and hoping for the best!

The worst was a few weeks ago when it was frosty and I walked on the grass in bare feet and stood in a semi-frozen poop as well, insult to injury! I had to wash them in the tub while pup went back to bed, I could hear him snore from the bathroom, little beast.

Beats boyfriends idea, he thought you should show puppy where to wee, I will never forget the day I looked out the kitchen window to see them side by side, both peeing into the wind.

That's hilarious! But not such a bad idea... maybe I should get my husband onto it :)

I wondered if it was partly due to the cold. The weather has been horrendous here, and so damn windy too (the wind knocks him over hes so little)! Gah, just took him outside before - spent about 15 mins out with him, he didn't go, had a little play, popped him into his crate for five minutes so I could put a load of washing on, and he wee'd in there! omg argh.

lol,no sooner did I post this, I took him out and we got a wee outside. Yaaaaay :thumbsup:

Edited by Zereuloh

I'll admit to my boyfriend also "showing" the dogs where to pee :o

Do you think it helped? I'm glad I'm not alone!

I wondered if it was partly due to the cold. The weather has been horrendous here, and so damn windy too (the wind knocks him over hes so little)! Gah, just took him outside before - spent about 15 mins out with him, he didn't go, had a little play, popped him into his crate for five minutes so I could put a load of washing on, and he wee'd in there! omg argh.

lol,no sooner did I post this, I took him out and we got a wee outside. Yaaaaay :thumbsup:

Hooraaaay little guy!

I can see why he mightn't want to go out, once he starts going out you'll be right, it's just a bit of a battle getting off the starting blocks.

I wondered if it was partly due to the cold. The weather has been horrendous here, and so damn windy too (the wind knocks him over hes so little)! Gah, just took him outside before - spent about 15 mins out with him, he didn't go, had a little play, popped him into his crate for five minutes so I could put a load of washing on, and he wee'd in there! omg argh,

Just a question, what are you washing his bedding in? Millie took to peeing in her bed whenever I shut her in the bathroom even though she had paper down & plenty of room to pee elsewhere, I mentioned it to Millie's breeder & she recommended that I wash Millie's bed in something like Biozet as it breaks down any residual smell from the wee, I got some Biozet & since then she hasn't wee'd in her bed (maybe coincidence) we won't be able to smell anything after we wash the bedding, but maybe puppy can?

Nova sleeps in his crate at night in my bedroom, so I leave the jacket hanging on cupboard door next to a pair of ugg boots, I chuck them on before I take Nova out of the crate. During the day/night before he is in my room, the jacket stays near the back door.

Can't let yourself catch a chill remember :)

Edited by LisaCC

Just took Nova out to pee, man he came back in quickly! It's a nice sunny day but the wind is strong and coming straight off the Snowy's! I wish I took a video of him discovering the wind, eyes wide open, getting pushed over!

Ohhh, ideas are forming in my head as we speak.... Our puppy will likely be a boy, so will show these posts to Wayne.... he will be thrilled! Good thing we are on 5 acres though :laugh:

It has been 8 years since we had a puppy, and I admit Tip taught himself somehow - we didn't have a clue about puppy training until we started at the dog club (by then he had it sorted for himself). He then taught Kira, she would just follow him outside- only ever 1 wee inside, I guess we won't get so lucky next time. :cry:

Yep, downwind is good...

minus 6 is pretty standard for us, we get -10 to -15 at times where we are (close to creek). Tip would put off the "run" as long as he could, rush out, then back inside where he would choose the lounge that we moved close to the heater in winter for him, and stretch his feet nearer the heater, and ask for his blankie to be pulled up... spoiled? maybe a little!

Di

Yep, we use biozet for all the doggy washing. I like the smell so much I use it for our laundry too now sometimes. The enzymes in it breaks down all the wee and removes the smell properly.

Sounds like Tyrion might have his wires crossed a little, and now thinks his crate is a good place to 'go'?!! You need to get on top of that asap. If the weather is going to be miserable for weeks, it might be worth investing in an inside toilet?

We trained Nixon with one, because he was kept in a playpen inside when we were at work, while he was still small. He knew to poo there from day one, and lots of positive reinforcement got him weeing there fairly well also.

We're just gradually switching to always going outside, and it's going pretty well now.

We bought this one which was great value:

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/Extra-Large-Pet-Indoor-Dog-Potty-Training-Toilet-Loo-Pad-3-Tier-76x51cm-p187234.htm

They have a smaller one too I think.

I wondered if it was partly due to the cold. The weather has been horrendous here, and so damn windy too (the wind knocks him over hes so little)! Gah, just took him outside before - spent about 15 mins out with him, he didn't go, had a little play, popped him into his crate for five minutes so I could put a load of washing on, and he wee'd in there! omg argh,

Just a question, what are you washing his bedding in? Millie took to peeing in her bed whenever I shut her in the bathroom even though she had paper down & plenty of room to pee elsewhere, I mentioned it to Millie's breeder & she recommended that I wash Millie's bed in something like Biozet as it breaks down any residual smell from the wee, I got some Biozet & since then she hasn't wee'd in her bed (maybe coincidence) we won't be able to smell anything after we wash the bedding, but maybe puppy can?

washing in white vinegar which was suggested on these forums for cleaning up pee messes. I think the cold comment is a fair one, its freezing here and so windy at the moment. My feet are still sore from running outside at 3am this morning in bare feet. The other problem is that I have to have him another room, as there is no room for his crate in my bedroom. Think I'll sleep on the couch for a few nights and see if I can catch him making noise earlier than I am.

At least I'm use to being woken at all hours! lol with a 4.5 year old, a 3 year old and a 7 month old not much sleepin' happens here anyway! :D

Nova is so ridiculously cute :)

Nixon is at the vets again today getting another broken tooth surgically removed... He broke 1 about 2 months ago and was in so much pain - poor baby. The matching tooth on the other side broke a couple of weeks ago, and he wasn't in any pain so we've been waiting to see if it would fall out by itself. No luck though, and it was starting to turn black, so back to the vets we go.

Even though I know he's fine, it's very distracting knowing he's there without me. And it's a very weird feeling having a lunch break to myself! I don't know what to do! No puppy cuddles for me til this arvo.

Nova is so ridiculously cute :)

Nixon is at the vets again today getting another broken tooth surgically removed... He broke 1 about 2 months ago and was in so much pain - poor baby. The matching tooth on the other side broke a couple of weeks ago, and he wasn't in any pain so we've been waiting to see if it would fall out by itself. No luck though, and it was starting to turn black, so back to the vets we go.

Even though I know he's fine, it's very distracting knowing he's there without me. And it's a very weird feeling having a lunch break to myself! I don't know what to do! No puppy cuddles for me til this arvo.

awww poor Nixon. I'm sure he will be back with you soon