A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

He's a bugger, hope he hasn't killed it himself. Given he's gangly and awkward I can't see it, but you never know.

She is gorgeous!

She is so confident and gets more awesome every day. I just love her :D (even though she has no decent bladder control yet)

She is settling in now and getting more comfortable (being more naughty) had full on zoomies last night around the house and was running back into the room and crashing onto my lap slamming into me with full force, trying to bite me then off again!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Envy is so gorgeous!

I'm super impressed by Nova again today! Did some short training sessions this afternoon. Working on 'out' with the tug; transitioning from sits, drops, stands; various recalls; and a little bit of shaping with the clicker and he is starting to offer behaviours when the clicker comes out! We did paw to hand targeting and have done a bit of paws on the phone book thumbsup1.gif

Lollipup how does well does that Ezydog harness fit Envy?

We tried on heaps of harnesses at the pet store (re-sized heaps of them) but the only one that was a close fit is still too big for him, it restrains him in the car, but if he is walking he can twist out of it. I didn't try the Ezydog harnesses as they were quite expensive (and obviously he will grow out of it fairly quickly) but I think I will need to try and find one that fits perfectly for some long line work.

Edited by LisaCC

Lollipup how does well does that Ezydog harness fit Envy?

We tried on heaps of harnesses at the pet store (re-sized heaps of them) but the only one that was a close fit is still too big for him, it restrains him in the car, but if he is walking he can twist out of it. I didn't try the Ezydog harnesses as they were quite expensive (and obviously he will grow out of it fairly quickly) but I think I will need to try and find one that fits perfectly for some long line work.

Hi Lisa,

It fits her very well. Nice and snug but plenty of room to adjust and doesn't seem to rub too much under the arm pits. I didn't specifically buy it for her. Luckily I have a puppy sized adult dog in Lola so I am using some of her gear on Envy until Envy is bigger. I like the Ezy Dog stuff and I am picky with quality. Depends a lot on the dog though. I think it fits Envy better than it fits Lola.

Envy is so gorgeous!

I'm super impressed by Nova again today! Did some short training sessions this afternoon. Working on 'out' with the tug; transitioning from sits, drops, stands; various recalls; and a little bit of shaping with the clicker and he is starting to offer behaviours when the clicker comes out! We did paw to hand targeting and have done a bit of paws on the phone book thumbsup1.gif

Sounds like Nova is going to be a superstar!

I wouldn't be concentrating too hard on teaching an out command. If you work on this too much with puppies that are still learning to tug it can cause them to have a weaker grip and less devotion to the tug if that makes sense. I am just concentrating on getting Envy very interested in tugging and holding on before I teach the out. Just a tip I picked up from Michael Ellis videos :)

Yea I had the Ezydog stuff for Sam, but they will probably never fit Nova! You are lucky with that harness!

I currently have Rogz stuff, but he will probably chew/grow out of everything fairly soon.

Thanks for the tip, I thought it might of been good because he seems to get a bit 'over stimulated' sometimes with tugging, but maybe thats a good thing for the future confused.gif I read about teaching it early in one of the books (can't remember which one now) that was suggested to me on DOL.

He already has a rock hard grip and holds on like crazy but I'll hold off with the Out and keep working on the shaping :) I love watching him think!

Collecting stuff is fun. The most useless- (so I thought)present I was ever given was a ceramic nicnac thing you put baby teeth in. We don't have kids,and it sat in the back of the cupboard- until we got Tippy, and found one of his baby teeth stuck in his blanket.... I still have that tooth, stored safely in the container....

A little wierd- yeah, and I am proud of it.

Di

I have an old film cannister (does anyone remember them? :laugh:) filled with puppy teeth from two dogs I owned 20 years ago. I think I'm sad. :o

I do have other small things from other dogs over the years. Sadly a lot of it has been lost in multiple moves. :cry:

Envy is beautiful!! We have a Mal at the club I train with and she is such a beautiful girl, if it wasn't for the energy levels I could steal her. :laugh: She's a super worker too, which makes me want to steal her more. But I'd need to have an off button. :o

Nova's coat is really growing!

I wanted to meet Sumo tonight, but I had to put my car in the shop for some work. :cry: (Brakes aren't that important, are they?)

Haven't had many shots of Willow lately, it's been a pretty hectic week at home and at work, or she's too darn quick to take a photo of.

Like the time she stole $5.00, or when she was doing victory laps with the weeds she helped us pull, or loving on the nextdoor neighbours greyhound like a mad, obsessed Fan Girl in the back seat of my car. Don't know what the drivers behind me thought, I must have looke like I was drunk. :eek:

Wow I did not notice his coat has grown laugh.gif

I just went back and looked through all my photos (I have heaps!) Not sure if he's gotten fluffier or because I had to bath him and let him air dry in the sun it's just sticking up funny now.

Yea I had the Ezydog stuff for Sam, but they will probably never fit Nova! You are lucky with that harness!

I currently have Rogz stuff, but he will probably chew/grow out of everything fairly soon.

Thanks for the tip, I thought it might of been good because he seems to get a bit 'over stimulated' sometimes with tugging, but maybe thats a good thing for the future confused.gif I read about teaching it early in one of the books (can't remember which one now) that was suggested to me on DOL.

He already has a rock hard grip and holds on like crazy but I'll hold off with the Out and keep working on the shaping :) I love watching him think!

I'm trying to find that DVD to watch that part again. I'm sure it's good to teach the out early on so that you don't get a dog that is too possessive - just as long as you have the grip and enthusiasm you are after first :)

Let me know the name of that DVD when you find it smile.gif

I'm looking through them now. I am pretty sure it's "The Power of Playing Tug With Your Dog" With Michael Ellis from Leerburg. I'm just flicking through it now and getting some good tips so thanks for making me look LOL.

Whether that section is in this DVD or not, I still highly recommend it! Out of my collection it would make the most sense for that part to be in this DVD though.

I wanted to meet Sumo tonight, but I had to put my car in the shop for some work. :cry: (Brakes aren't that important, are they?)

Don't worry we weren't there anyway! I ended up having to work and have only just finished so we didn't make it :( I'm bummed because I really want to start going!!! Next week should be fine though. Looking forward to meeting you and Willow! Her antics sound hilarious!

Envy is beautiful!! We have a Mal at the club I train with and she is such a beautiful girl, if it wasn't for the energy levels I could steal her. :laugh: She's a super worker too, which makes me want to steal her more. But I'd need to have an off button. :o

I think Willow is just divine too! Love the rotties. and I love that name. A friend has a malamute named Wilow.

A well bred & raised malinois will have an off switch too.......... sometimes.... No, they do :)

Envy's ears are lovely, but I really love her confused ear look.

Nova sounds like he is learning really quickly, obviously a combination of the right dog and an owner who knows what they are doing, yet always learning more. What an awsome team you will both make in the future.

Dory, momento's are special, even though they sometimes sadden us, they also bring back beautiful memories.

Steph, I think "birdurder" should be a legitimate reason for a day off work :D , after all, I am sure everyone is traumatised. Tip was a murderer when he had the chance, but the pigeons insist on choosing the ONE tree in his back yard to nest and roost, so they must have also liked the protection he offered! I always felt so terrible though.

Di

Steph, I think "birdurder" should be a legitimate reason for a day off work :D , after all, I am sure everyone is traumatised. Tip was a murderer when he had the chance, but the pigeons insist on choosing the ONE tree in his back yard to nest and roost, so they must have also liked the protection he offered! I always felt so terrible though.

Di

He is a total a-hole. I almost did skip off home in a tizz, more out of fear that I'd come home to a vaccuum cleaner full of feathers (that did happen) and general not wanting to be at work...haha.

I felt awful, jury is still out, I'm thinking it's less and less likely he did it, unless it fell out of a nest (not likely due to the amount of feathers) or was pre-crippled. I watched him run at a ball after work and fall over and face first into the ball, so perhaps not so stealthy.

Innocent until proven guilty I guess though!

On another note, how are we all teaching general focus, I feel like Gus has no attention span at all! Not just for me, but on much of anything. Do I just have to wait it out til he gets a bit older and work at it slowly, trick by trick or is there certain games we can play or jobs we can do together to enhance focus that have worked for you guys?