A Follow On Thread For Those Who Now Have Their Puppy

julesluvscavs

Thanks Tikira, I'm really looking forward to working with him as he gets older. Looking extra forward to 10 days after his next injection! I can start walking him more places!

He is getting heavy, 5.5kg today! Putting on about 1kg a week.

Steph M, I have been doing TOT with Nova, it's pinned either at the top of the puppy thread or the training thread. Getting some nice focus out of him with it.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for enabling me Lollipup biggrin.gif

1004779_10151576922610787_1642366215_n.jpg

Woohoo! Looks great on! How does it fit him? I am so happy as I think this is the first enabling I have done on DOL haha

What kennel is she (?) from Lollipup?

She is from Vanrusselhof Malinois from the working line K2 litter. Father is Nordenstamm Tex BH (IID) and mother is Aust CH Ellis de l'origine de faucon rouge IPO3 AD-Prüfung DMC-WP (Imp GMY)

See the litter here, she is Vanrusselhof Kunoichi, the violet puppy http://www.malinois.net.au/k2litter.html

Kunoichi is a female ninja :D

oooh, I like her parents - agile and moderate and not from the "bigger is better" school. You will have to post oodles of pictures of her as she grows.

Thanks :) I will. I feel very lucky to have found that mating and be priviliged enough to get a great pup from it. She has great potential :)

She is growing bigger and more awesome every day.

Thanks guys, I think he is a handsome bugger, and yea Jack I think he knows it too. As my mate says, he's great to carry around because 'he gets all the bitches' laugh.gif

Lollipup it's a size Small and sits perfectly, and its on a fairly small setting so hopefully he won't grow out of it as quick!

I agree Envy's parents are gorgeous dogs. I'd love a Mal, but not sure if I could handle one!

Koda is on the last hole for his first collar so looking around now for the next one for him, he didn't like this one much and scratches a bit when we walk so might get a softer collar this time around.

Does it get twisted in Koda's coat? I know Nova is a bit fluffier than Koda, but Nova's coat keeps getting pulled. As soon as he is big enough I'll be getting him a rolled leather collar that should help.

No it hasn't yet, my boys coat though is allot more like his mother than father which is short and dense instead of fluffy and long, I will probably get either a rolled collar or a wide collar.

FINALLY getting some improvement in Tyrion's toileting! We ended up staying up later last night so I didn't crate him till 1.30am he then slept till 5.30am! Crate was completely clean, took him out, he went to the toilet and then slept till 7.30 when the kids and I got up and toileted outside again, and how he is laying near my feet. So excited! lol

Envy is so gorgeous!

I'm super impressed by Nova again today! Did some short training sessions this afternoon. Working on 'out' with the tug; transitioning from sits, drops, stands; various recalls; and a little bit of shaping with the clicker and he is starting to offer behaviours when the clicker comes out! We did paw to hand targeting and have done a bit of paws on the phone book thumbsup1.gif

Sounds like Nova is going to be a superstar!

I wouldn't be concentrating too hard on teaching an out command. If you work on this too much with puppies that are still learning to tug it can cause them to have a weaker grip and less devotion to the tug if that makes sense. I am just concentrating on getting Envy very interested in tugging and holding on before I teach the out. Just a tip I picked up from Michael Ellis videos :)

I think it depends on your approach to training tug. The out should be one of the most motivating commands for the dog. I always train an out from day one as its part of the game and I definitely don't have any problems with grip or 'devotion' lol. Just my two cents!

ETA: I can't remember, did I tell you Envy and Wisdom are related?! :D

Re the off switch my Mal has one, she even sleeps on my bed every night! I think it's less about the off switch and more about whether you can live with them when they are on lol.

Edited by huski

Envy is so gorgeous!

I'm super impressed by Nova again today! Did some short training sessions this afternoon. Working on 'out' with the tug; transitioning from sits, drops, stands; various recalls; and a little bit of shaping with the clicker and he is starting to offer behaviours when the clicker comes out! We did paw to hand targeting and have done a bit of paws on the phone book thumbsup1.gif

Sounds like Nova is going to be a superstar!

I wouldn't be concentrating too hard on teaching an out command. If you work on this too much with puppies that are still learning to tug it can cause them to have a weaker grip and less devotion to the tug if that makes sense. I am just concentrating on getting Envy very interested in tugging and holding on before I teach the out. Just a tip I picked up from Michael Ellis videos :)

I think it depends on your approach to training tug. The out should be one of the most motivating commands for the dog. I always train an out from day one as its part of the game and I definitely don't have any problems with grip or 'devotion' lol. Just my two cents!

ETA: I can't remember, did I tell you Envy and Wisdom are related?! :D

Re the off switch my Mal has one, she even sleeps on my bed every night! I think it's less about the off switch and more about whether you can live with them when they are on lol.

I do train the out as a motivating command as well. But the dog has to have enough motivation for the tug first is all. If Envy is only just starting to have fun with the tug and I start too early teaching her to let go, then I could undo some of that work on building her motivation for it.

I found a couple of spots in the Ellis DVDs where he is talking about it and the way he puts it is that if the puppy is outing very easily, do it less. If its difficult, do it more. All depends on the dog. Sounds like Nova already has an awesome drive and grip for the tug so I would teach it straight away to that puppy.

No, you didn't tell me they are related! It doesn't really surprise me though. Is Wisdom out of Lilo? The malinois world is so small. I know (over the net) the owners of her grandmother Lilo, her father Tex, her Aunt Talina.... Probably some more I have forgotten too.

Just wondering if you guys have any experience with the following.

Nova was a very cuddly dog (with me only) and would come up and cuddle on my lap all the time (on his own accord), the last 2 days he has been refusing to come over to cuddle, he'll come over and sit down next to me and even then walk away and lay down elsewhere.

I think a lot of it is he seems to be over heating a lot (too much puppy fluff!) and wanting to lay on the wood floors but also wondering if it might be a stage he's going through or i'm doing something wrong?

It's been a long time since I had a puppy and don't quite remember. I THINK I remember Sam going through a similar stage.

He is still happy to see me when I've been out, and happy to play. He did go through a barking stage and being a bit dominant over my housemate which is getting heaps better with small timeouts, and we did try the growling back at him, but apart from that all his training is positive.

I'm still carrying him everywhere when we go down town etc so perhaps he is just sick of being on my arms?