Cancer In The Eye

Kirislin

Generally tumours of the eye are treated by enucleation but you would need to speak to an opthalmologist about whether there were any other options. Is there any involvement of internal structures of the eye? If the red area only affects the cornea and appeared acutely, it is possible that it's a stromal haematoma rather than a tumour (although obviously without examining the eye in person it's very hard to make any comment).

FAR OUT FAR OUT FAR OUT!!!! I'M SO EXCITED I'M YELLING!!!! Andrew's just been and looked at Kibahs eye and said, "sit on it, dont do anything just yet" He said tumours in dogs eyes are extremely rare and he thinks it's an intrastromal bleed. I hope I've spelt that correctly. I questioned him about it because I can see it's changed since I first noticed it, and I got him to take notice of the way it's almost coming to a point now, like a pimple that comes to a head, but he still said dont do anything yet, just watch it. He's coming back in about 3 weeks and he's got 2 patients here now, Kibah and Pagan (mare).

Phew, I feel like getting drunk, I'm so happy. I said to him, I could kiss you but that's inappropriate and he agreed with me and said no no, dont do that :laugh:.

He said tumours in dogs eyes are extremely rare and he thinks it's an intrastromal bleed. I hope I've spelt that correctly. I questioned him about it because I can see it's changed since I first noticed it, and I got him to take notice of the way it's almost coming to a point now, like a pimple that comes to a head, but he still said dont do anything yet, just watch it. He's coming back in about 3 weeks and he's got 2 patients here now, Kibah and Pagan (mare).

Phew, I feel like getting drunk, I'm so happy. I said to him, I could kiss you but that's inappropriate and he agreed with me and said no no, dont do that :laugh:.

That's excellent news Kirislin :)

The few of those I've seen have taken a couple of weeks to resolve, so just keep that in mind. They do go away though :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

great to have some good news - hope you will keep taking pics as this resolves itself.

Yes, I will and I'll continue to post them here for future reference in case others have similar eye bleeds. I tried to get some yesterday but it's hard by myself. My friend's coming down next week so I'll try again then.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm..

If it was a bleed which had stopped, I expected to see it a brownish colour ..but it still looks red tho duller , and to me ..less inflammation in nearby blood vessels? (may be the angle though)

Oh..Great photos!!

It still looks like a bleed to me

Have you played around with a fine beam torch? Shine it from above/sideways (from muzzle side to outside ) & try & get a feel for thickness/translucency that way ;)

Edited by persephone

Hmmmm..

If it was a bleed which had stopped, I expected to see it a brownish colour ..but it still looks red tho duller , and to me ..less inflammation in nearby blood vessels? (may be the angle though)

I thought it does have a browner look, but I'm not sure, and the centre white spot looks more definite now, but I'm not sure if it's just the progression it goes through as it's healing, that's what I'm hoping. If it is getting worse, it's fairly slow, I'm trying not to worry. So long as it doesn't spread anywhere else, I suppose if she looses and eye but that's all, she and I can live with that.

Rappies update :D I've got this posted in General as well in case you hadn't seen it.

I feel alot more optimistic now that it is just the normal progression in the healing process. I will continue to photograph the eye for a record.

That looks like a good healing response at this stage. The white spot on the eye is like a 'band aid' - so it looks disturbing but it's a normal change. In severe injuries this can leave a scar, but it will often resolve once it's no longer needed, especially in cases where the injury is more central (where this one is much closer to the edge of the cornea).

I can go through it with you in more detail via PM if you like.