Price Of Puppies

MonElite

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It still puzzles me how some people think nothing of "wasting" $1,500 on something like a piece of furniture or TV or holiday (which is gone in a flash) yet they are outraged at spending that amount on their companion to be & new family member for the next 10 or 15 years etc, one hopes.

I guess common sense would tell them a limit & expectation of some sort. According to their personal finance & whether the breeder price is within the sensible/average range.

Yeah thats always baffled me Christina ! Same with people who say they cant afford to get their pet desexed etc (but thats another topic!) .. confused.gif

Just the other day someone on my FB was agreeing that animals should be desexed but it's a shame it's so expensive! Surely that should be part of the amount you save up when you go to buy the pet??

I personally really really want a puppy (haven't exactly managed to set on a breed...probably need to head to some dog shows) but know we can't until we're settled in a house (preferably of our own, if ever) and that I'll have to save for purchase. '

Excellent point about spending the same amount on a couch, as someone mentioned earlier! I'll have to use that one next time someone asks why you'd spend so much on a dog...

Yes, it always puzzles me when someone will drop that much or more on the latest iPad or other must have gadget that will be out of date in a year or maybe two, but doesn't think spending that much on a dog they will have for 10 to 15 years is worth it... :confused:

It's relative. People know how much stuff costs. Where there's little variation in price (iPad) they won't quibble it, but where they know they can get it cheaper they will grumble. Case in point, a good pair of jeans is commonly $90 or more (I think). Most people pay it because the price doesn't vary much. Cheap jeans are a different product for most. I buy my jeans online and rarely pay more than $60 for jeans that are comfortable and good quality. To me, $90 seems over-priced and I probably won't pay it.

Before you argue about what you're getting for your money with a pedigree puppy, it's not that simple. I'm sure some would argue that my $60 jeans are nowhere near as good as their Levis or whatever. It's all in the perception. If someone has in their past had an awesome dog they got for $100, are you really that surprised that they would feel $1500 is kinda steep?

Before you argue about what you're getting for your money with a pedigree puppy, it's not that simple. I'm sure some would argue that my $60 jeans are nowhere near as good as their Levis or whatever. It's all in the perception. If someone has in their past had an awesome dog they got for $100, are you really that surprised that they would feel $1500 is kinda steep?

I really don’t want to prolong the argument, but feel I can’t let that pass without comment.

There is no comparison between jeans and dogs, I won’t even go there.

The point is that someone CAN’T sell you a pup for $100, unless they have been completely and utterly irresponsible.

(Not talking about somebody discounting a pup to a good home, that is not selling.)

I suppose if somebody’s dog got knocked up by some stray that jumped the fence,

If they had never undertaken hip, elbow, eye, DNA checks

If they allowed the pregnancy to proceed, and raised the pups without vet care of any kind.

Didn’t bother with worming or vaccinations,

Malnourished the bitch during pregnancy and weaning

Sold the pups before they required their own food.

And either devoted no time to the bitch and pups, or thought there time was worthless

They might be able to manage it.

I am thinking of becoming a breeder when I retire. If I do it will because I want to further the best characteristics of the breed, I certainly wouldn’t be doing it for the money.

It's relative. People know how much stuff costs. Where there's little variation in price (iPad) they won't quibble it, but where they know they can get it cheaper they will grumble. Case in point, a good pair of jeans is commonly $90 or more (I think). Most people pay it because the price doesn't vary much. Cheap jeans are a different product for most. I buy my jeans online and rarely pay more than $60 for jeans that are comfortable and good quality. To me, $90 seems over-priced and I probably won't pay it.

I guess that is it. Those that want what you are selling will pay the price. Those that don't, won't.

But just like a high priced boutique is not going to appreciate a shopper coming in, raving about how horrible the prices are, trying to haggle and then saying they can get it cheaper elsewhere, we shouldn't expect responsible breeders of purebred dogs to like it when 'shoppers' do the same to them either .....

The point is that someone CAN’T sell you a pup for $100, unless they have been completely and utterly irresponsible.

Guess what? Sometimes completely irresponsible people sell puppies for next to nothing and they turn out to be fabulous dogs. Sorry if that offends you on some level, but it happens. In contrast, my family has a discounted purebreed from a registered breeder that is riddled with health problems and has appalling structure. Go figure. And people wonder why the public isn't convinced it's worth the money to buy from a registered breeder...

ETA Dogs are all things being equal a very infrequent purchase. It only takes one good experience or one bad experience to sway opinions.

Edited by corvus

Guess what? Sometimes completely irresponsible people sell puppies for next to nothing and they turn out to be fabulous dogs. Sorry if that offends you on some level, but it happens. In contrast, my family has a discounted purebreed from a registered breeder that is riddled with health problems and has appalling structure. Go figure. And people wonder why the public isn't convinced it's worth the money to buy from a registered breeder...

ETA Dogs are all things being equal a very infrequent purchase. It only takes one good experience or one bad experience to sway opinions.

and it's more by sheer luck than science.

There's no need to convince the public to buy from registered breeders, there's already a demand for them that far out weighs the numbers produced.

The point is that someone CAN'T sell you a pup for $100, unless they have been completely and utterly irresponsible.

I was gonna post...then realise this...and was like "Oh damn."

I guess it's the nature of breeding though. Our best dog has been a little Silky X Maltese that I "trained"/was in charge of at the age of 7 and Nanna describes her as my "pride and joy" and now my little brother who is 7 now is her master...poor dog!! Never a sick day, got dragged behind a ute years ago (little sister tied her up on passenger side, Nanna hops in ute to check sheep and drives down the road...discovers her when she opens a gate...I was horrified...dog didn't FREAKING CARE she was just excited to be in the car when we were on the way to the vet!!!) Still going strong in her 15th year!

Dog we sold at 2yo was a Golden Retriever from a registered breeder (well she had papers) and even though I loved her to bits (I think I was 5 when we got her?) she was just too boisterous and would knock my younger sister over running past and the like. She also chased the sheep (even though she knew it was naughty because if she knew Dad was around she wouldn't) so on a farm that's not exactly ideal... So the arrangement just wasn't fair on her. She was beautiful though, I have some really special memories of her.

Argh, who'd have dogs. :p

Over the last 7 years or so puppy prices have doubled, yet we still see the same health issues which in many cases result in death long before the dogs time.... so how can breeders justify charging $1500 well they can't as their guarantee guarantees nothing.

How can some of you people claim that because people won't pay $1500 they wouldn't have looked after the dog anyway, there are plenty of papered dogs in pounds and rescue that people have paid $1500 for and still dump them.... you only have to look at the number of GSDs in rescue to know this. I have two rescues and they are treated exactly the same as any papered dog I have owned.

When my TV went I didn't have sleepless nights and cry for weeks after because of the grief, then keep thinking about it every day since as I did when I lost my Beautiful GSD girl 17 mths ago to Cancer because TVs aren't family like dogs are.

Years ago I paid full price for my Dobermann and I lost her to Wobbler Syndrome, some years ago I paid full price for my GSD girl and I lost her to Cancer and nothing has changed only the price.

How can some of you people claim that because people won't pay $1500 they wouldn't have looked after the dog anyway, there are plenty of papered dogs in pounds and rescue that people have paid $1500 for and still dump them.... you only have to look at the number of GSDs in rescue to know this.

How do you know that they have pedigree papers?

I've moved to the US from Oz. I find that in the USA as compared to Oz, vet costs here are higher, dry dog food prices cheaper, raw food prices are MUCH HIGHER, and puppy prices MUCH MUCH cheaper. Go figure. I can't make sense of it.

Guess what? Sometimes completely irresponsible people sell puppies for next to nothing and they turn out to be fabulous dogs.

If you're going to make claims like this, let's do it properly. How do you know? Where's your evidence? I'd love to see some, because as far as I can make out there isn't any.

Guess what? Sometimes completely irresponsible people sell puppies for next to nothing and they turn out to be fabulous dogs.

If you're going to make claims like this, let's do it properly. How do you know? Where's your evidence? I'd love to see some, because as far as I can make out there isn't any.

Because irresponsible people breed random dogs without health testing or thought for anything. There is a lot of evidence for that. The chances of dogs being fabulous is sheer luck, what effort do they go to to ensure their dogs will be fabulous?

After growing up with reg purebreds-

we were tossing up the idea of getting a rescue dog instead... for the rescues (breeds or crosses) that we looked at, it was debatable if they'd live more than a few years with amount of structural faults that were glaringly obvious and *I* just couldn't bring myself to do it- afterall we wanted a member who has been given best odds at a chance at a healthy life- not one riddled with potential problems being made comfortable by early medication.

Not all byb dogs are going to have problems- but the odds are stacked against them- as byb's won't test for hereditary diseases or problems, nor care about structural conformation.

We got our girl from a fantastic reg breeder- and couldn't be happier