Does She Really Need An Elizabethan Collar?

WExtremeG

so as per the title- Fenrir (almost 18mths) is booked in to be desexed tomorrow, and they want her to wear an Elizabethan collar home- which is an extra added cost which I don't want to pay if she doesn't really need it.

For those of you who have had their bitches desexed, how many ripped out their stiches?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had two bitches spayed, neither of which needed a collar. It depends on the dog though. I would suggest try without and if she needs one then go get one. My vet in the UK gave me a collar and let me return it if i didn't use it, so that's what I did. :)

so as per the title- Fenrir (almost 18mths) is booked in to be desexed tomorrow, and they want her to wear an Elizabethan collar home- which is an extra added cost which I don't want to pay if she doesn't really need it.

For those of you who have had their bitches desexed, how many ripped out their stiches?

None - LOL. All rescues from pounds.

there's no reason to suspect she'd try and 'rip them out' seems as though they just want to make some extra $$$

If you have seen a bitch spey go wrong with stitches no longer there , or an infection ..you wouldn't laugh at the vets 'just wanting to make money' .

You can always make your own ..using plant pots/buckets.;)

You can also buy a soft open basket muzzle .

Dogs left alone for longish periods often do start licking, as there is irritation - mostly from shaving rash . Sometimes the licking continues ..and can cause infection ... Some are inclined to do so .. many don't bother .

Hopefully your girl will just not worry :)

When I got Emmy desexed, I don't think she realise she had stitches (or had surgery). In fact, I have never used an Elizabeth collar, but I know if I was to need one, the vet will let me borrows theirs for a few days... i didn't have buy one.

there's no reason to suspect she'd try and 'rip them out' seems as though they just want to make some extra $$$

If you have seen a bitch spey go wrong with stitches no longer there , or an infection ..you wouldn't laugh at the vets 'just wanting to make money'

no where did I say it was funny or that I'm laughing???

I'm at home all day and she's inside with me- If it ends up that I need a collar- obviously I'll get one.

I'm at home all day and she's inside with me- If it ends up that I need a collar- obviously I'll get one.

That's perfect :) .... She'll probably not pay much attention to it at all . Just do watch out for clipper rash - it always looks sore , so guess it is :/

AS said , an elizabethan collar (or a suitable basket muzzle) is a handy thing to have , in case of wounds/hotspots etc ...

Hoping all goes well , and that she enjoys her 'quiet time ' , convalescing :)

You could think of it as purchasing something which you may need in the future, and which is handy to have in your first aid cupboard. You never know when you might need it for something.

Plenty of tutorials on how to make them- I'd rather make them as I'm fairly crafty :)

It was just the attitude of the vets that irked me- I'm not a first time dog owner- I'm not stupid. We've (well my mum)has had bitches desexed in the past with no issue- but like everything there will always be one that wants to do thing differently though- I won't deny :)

It was when the total cost was asked they replied with the cost of desexing + the collar (which wasn't asked for) they also wanted microchip- umm she has one already. It was the self assuming attitude that they took on.

Since the bitches (of my mums) and other friends dogs ect haven't had a need, I began to wonder if those dogs may have just been 'good' or 'lucky' so came here to ask.

It was just the attitude of the vets that irked me-
*nods*

For my daneX once, I made him a 'bucket' collar .... using a pink plastic bucket ..with thick padding sewn around the neck end ..and ties which went on to his collar ..he used it on several occasions. :) For smaller dogs, I usually cut a hole in the centre bottom of a suitable sized ice cream container ..smooth off the edge ..then it just slips on & off :) There's a good field of vision too.

I've had 30+ dogs desexed and never needed an Elizabethan collar. We've only ever had one or two dogs interested in licking stitches (never ripping them out, just licking) and for those girls, we put a tiny amount of Vaporub in the fur near the stitches (but not close enough to get into the wound) and that was the end of the problem in every case.

You could think of it as purchasing something which you may need in the future, and which is handy to have in your first aid cupboard. You never know when you might need it for something.

Plenty of tutorials on how to make them- I'd rather make them as I'm fairly crafty :)

It was just the attitude of the vets that irked me- I'm not a first time dog owner- I'm not stupid. We've (well my mum)has had bitches desexed in the past with no issue- but like everything there will always be one that wants to do thing differently though- I won't deny :)

It was when the total cost was asked they replied with the cost of desexing + the collar (which wasn't asked for) they also wanted microchip- umm she has one already. It was the self assuming attitude that they took on.

Since the bitches (of my mums) and other friends dogs ect haven't had a need, I began to wonder if those dogs may have just been 'good' or 'lucky' so came here to ask.

Ahh yes, that kind of attitude is most annoying. My regular vet knows me well enough by now to know that I'm very competent in looking after my animals, but do you think I can convince the practice nurses to stop sending me those bloody awful cutesy letters, addressed to the animals, reminding me every year about the importance of an annual immunisation and checkup? :mad

If you know how to make a collar that won't rub a huge mark into a double coat during a coat blow, I'll commission you to make me one for Tarja :D She had a cloud collar on for two days last week to stop her licking an itchy spot on her leg while it healed, and has the worst mark on her neck now :cry: