Boarding A Special Needs Dog

Guest hanko

Guest LittleMissOdie

I hope someone else could be of help, but wow, I didn't even know those places exist in Sydney. I want to vacation there :laugh:

My husband said the same thing! :laugh:

I have cared for many special needs in an ordinary boarding kennel. We were usually able to serve special needs without a lot of special charges because the staff was experienced and our relationship with local vets was extremely good. A few pointers. 1. Your going to do much better getting experienced, attentive care in a low season (Ie, not Easter Holiday, which is VERY hectic for most kennels).2. Some vets offer boarding. Their kennels are often quite confining, without a lot of room for exercise or recreation. If they don't have 24 hour service, dogs may be left overnight with no one on premises. But they are in a position to professionally monitor problems.3. Have a good talk with the owners. Make sure that the staff who will be on duty are not casuals without a lot of experience. Look for experienced dog people with a good arrangement with nearby vets. Make us someone goes through the kennel at least three times a day, and is willing to agree to do specific checks or treatments on your dog when they go through the kennel.

Have you thought about having someone come in and stay at your home and look after your dog or alternatively there are in home pet sitters who do one on one dog sitting in their homes, not sure about in your particular area but we have several here in Brisbane.

http://www.justlikehomepetresort.com.au/

Just Like Home is on the Central Coast, cater for special needs, have 24 hour video surveillance on their kennels. A great setup and owner/manager lives on property. Dogs are closely supervised when out of their kennels. Caters for small to medium sized dogs only. One of the best setups I've seen and Debbie is a lovely person who genuinely cares for the dogs.

http://www.justlikehomepetresort.com.au/

Just Like Home is on the Central Coast, cater for special needs, have 24 hour video surveillance on their kennels. A great setup and owner/manager lives on property. Dogs are closely supervised when out of their kennels. Caters for small to medium sized dogs only. One of the best setups I've seen and Debbie is a lovely person who genuinely cares for the dogs.

Second this 100%. I have friends that leave their three shitzhus with Debbie, all three have special needs and they cannot speak highly enough of her.

I wish she boarded greyhounds :(

Guest LittleMissOdie

I have cared for many special needs in an ordinary boarding kennel. We were usually able to serve special needs without a lot of special charges because the staff was experienced and our relationship with local vets was extremely good. A few pointers. 1. Your going to do much better getting experienced, attentive care in a low season (Ie, not Easter Holiday, which is VERY hectic for most kennels).2. Some vets offer boarding. Their kennels are often quite confining, without a lot of room for exercise or recreation. If they don't have 24 hour service, dogs may be left overnight with no one on premises. But they are in a position to professionally monitor problems.3. Have a good talk with the owners. Make sure that the staff who will be on duty are not casuals without a lot of experience. Look for experienced dog people with a good arrangement with nearby vets. Make us someone goes through the kennel at least three times a day, and is willing to agree to do specific checks or treatments on your dog when they go through the kennel.

Thank you, that helps tremendously! We are going away just after Easter I think. My biggest concern is obviously her well being but also her being able to socialize and play. She's got a beautiful temperament and I would hate to leave her somewhere where she wouldn't get much interaction or exercise.

Guest LittleMissOdie

Thanks, LittleMiss. I was going to offer to look after her if she was a smaller breed. Frankly, Just Like Home, sounds wonderful and definitely worth checking out.

Oh that's very kind of you! She's a smaller girl but definitely a handful, loves other dogs a little too much! We are still working on her doggy manners :)

Thanks, LittleMiss. I was going to offer to look after her if she was a smaller breed. Frankly, Just Like Home, sounds wonderful and definitely worth checking out.

Oh that's very kind of you! She's a smaller girl but definitely a handful, loves other dogs a little too much! We are still working on her doggy manners :)

My "babies" are all in the elderly or geriatric category, with the youngest being 9. While some dogs are puppies all their lives, mine wouldn't be nearly enough fun for her - LOL.

From what I've read posted by the Frenchie people on DOL, they are bundles of energy and real characters. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Guest LittleMissOdie

To be honest i would worry less about socializing & playing & worry more about care.

As I mentioned in my original post, her condition right now is stable and she is doing very well, she's never shown any symptoms even before diagnosis. Of course her care is my #1 concern but I do not want her locked up in a small kennel for 2 weeks either, she needs lots of interaction as I work from home and she's used to human company. I'm just trying to research an option where I can get the best of both worlds.

I don't think I would put Amber in a kennel. I don't think I would leave her at a vets either unless they had good sized runs. I adjust food and medicine on a daily basis depending on what is happening with her. This pretty much means I am not going on hols unless she comes with me. It is a problem.

Guest LittleMissOdie

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and advice. Have made an appointment with Deb after your glowing reviews :)