Clipper Rash On Scrotum

Just checking in on you and Cooper. The updated pictures look awfully painful. :(

I do hope you can both get some rest tonight. The hip surgery was no doubt a well-considered decision. This is something you could not have predicted though. I can't help but wonder if someone got over-enthusiastic with the clippers before realising Cooper is entire?

I hope tomorrow is a better day. :hug:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the hip surgery was a good decision, made after all options were carefully considered. It's a separate thing that the person wielding the clippers was not competent to be anywhere near an animal.

I hope that each day is better for your boy.

ouchies - that looks awful

those clippers must have been running for hours to make that kind of burn - also no reason to shave his bits or all the way down his leg I would have thought

poor little man

Thank you all so very much to think of my boy (((hugs)))

It looks a little less 'angry' today and is drying out. The skin is falling off. I am dosing him regularly to keep him more settled and so far he is pretty calm today.

I got a phone call from the surgeon this morning (after my emotional, slightly pissy email) and he said that they have to shave all the hair off. Hair can equal infection. Anywhoo I don't care as long as Cooper is feeling better and healing.

I do apologise for any emotional blithering by me, I was so exhausted and worried about him I couldn't think straight :cry:

Pics from about half an hour ago

post-36665-0-63768900-1362473861_thumb.jpg

It looks a little less 'angry' today and is drying out. The skin is falling off. I am dosing him regularly to keep him more settled and so far he is pretty calm today.

I got a phone call from the surgeon this morning (after my emotional, slightly pissy email) and he said that they have to shave all the hair off. Hair can equal infection. Anywhoo I don't care as long as Cooper is feeling better and healing.

I do apologise for any emotional blithering by me, I was so exhausted and worried about him I couldn't think straight :cry:

So glad that he may be feeling better. But am still so angry that they did this to him.There is a line between shaving areas and butchering them with incompetence. In my honest opinion this was unneccasary. How would the surgeon like it if some nurse shaved his scrotum like that. Bet he would be pretty pissed off. If they had to shave all the hair off why did they leave his tail hair on? Tail hair equals possible infection. I wouldnt of paid the bill and would of spit tacks. But that is only my opinion. Get the Surgeon to take another look at the wound site, his shaved scrotum and his unshaved tail.

Stinks of trying to make out as if nothing was wrong.

Thank you Bullbreedlover and I do agree. I am taking pics daily and when we go back for his six week check-up I will be voicing my opinion quite strongly. Good point about the tail too thank you :)

great to hear he is slightly more comfortable - I was thinking about him all last night ... was also wondering why they hadn't treated it before he left Melbourne :mad

Anyhooo .. the past is the past ... its now time for Cooper to get better and better each day until he is his normal bouncy self :)

Lots of puppy hugs and positive vibes being sent to one little black GSD .... get well soon Cooper :D xxx

great to hear he is slightly more comfortable - I was thinking about him all last night ... was also wondering why they hadn't treated it before he left Melbourne :mad

Anyhooo .. the past is the past ... its now time for Cooper to get better and better each day until he is his normal bouncy self :)

Lots of puppy hugs and positive vibes being sent to one little black GSD .... get well soon Cooper :D xxx

But the past is not the past really in regards to pain and unneccesary suffering caused by incompetence.

Pain and tolerance is one thing. Recovery from major surgery is not the only thing on Coopers mind. He wont forget the pain in his scrotum area for some time to come.

So glad that he may be feeling better. But am still so angry that they did this to him.There is a line between shaving areas and butchering them with incompetence. In my honest opinion this was unneccasary. How would the surgeon like it if some nurse shaved his scrotum like that. Bet he would be pretty pissed off. If they had to shave all the hair off why did they leave his tail hair on? Tail hair equals possible infection. I wouldnt of paid the bill and would of spit tacks. But that is only my opinion. Get the Surgeon to take another look at the wound site, his shaved scrotum and his unshaved tail.

Stinks of trying to make out as if nothing was wrong.

In surgery practicals we were taught to shave the scrotum for this type of surgery.

Mind you I have now learnt that paw paw cream within 20minutes of clipping can greatly decrease the chance of clipper rash- my dogs have gotten quite significant reactions every time they have been clipped for surgery regardless of location, even when it was just for blood to be taken and done by a very good nurse who is also a groomer. Unfortunately the scrotum is even more sensitive regardless of how careful you are- but this is the worst I have seen. Perhaps you can ask for some to be applied if he has any surgeries in the future? I think Manuka honey would be another option as a preventative but that is only based on its properties, not personal use.

As you start to see some wound healing perhaps think about some honey as it can decrease irritation and can reduce healing time. Its used on horses with open wounds to great effect, and I have used it on quite large cuts and scrapes on my dogs with good results.

:thumbsup:

:hug: for Cooper - the dog who has a very famous scrotum :p

I just had a quick G**gle and found a couple of photos of dogs who had hip surgery ..and they also appear to have full tails, & shaved area between legs ..but shaved, not dermabraded .

But the past is not the past really in regards to pain and unneccesary suffering caused by incompetence.

Pain and tolerance is one thing. Recovery from major surgery is not the only thing on Coopers mind. He wont forget the pain in his scrotum area for some time to come.

Yes .. I agree with that 110% .. and hopefully those responsible will be accountable for their action.

However, what is important now is that Cooper gets through it all - and its good to hear he is starting to feel better

Edited by Crits'N'Bits

:thumbsup:

:hug: for Cooper - the dog who has a very famous scrotum :p

I just had a quick G**gle and found a couple of photos of dogs who had hip surgery ..and they also appear to have full tails, & shaved area between legs ..but shaved, not dermabraded .

Its a little easier to secure a tail out of the way, under drapes than it is to secure some testicles! You also wouldnt want to use towel clamps anywhere in that region to even attempt it!!

Thank you all again :) Yes poor boy if he knew his private parts were plastered all over the net and being discussed :laugh:

I'm actually able to laugh tonight so that is yipee!

The surgeon said this morning that when they put the adhesive covering (?) over the dog anything that is in that area gets shaved because hair can introduce infection.

Thank you so much for the tip about honey/pawpaw ointment because by the looks of things next year he will probably need the left side done. I WILL beg them not to shave that area if possible.

They did know about this before he left their care, the surgeon told me and said they had put I think Neocort on it but he should be fine. Guess not :(

I just went in to give him his dose of tramadol (liberally covered in peanut butter) and he is wagging his tail :thumbsup: Such a change from last night.

I really do want to say a HUGE thank you to all of you. It's somehow better when you can share and get advice :)

:thumbsup: about the tramadol - a certain BC I know wasn't so keen and she use to try and stash them for later :laugh:. Glad to hear he is brighter tonight :). Hopefully you can get some sleep tonight.

It makes me laugh if a client takes a dog to vet due to clipper rash from a groomer they jump up n down saying there careless.

When the vet nurses go clipper crazy with a #40/50 blade & cause a serious issue it has to be done.

There is no excuse for clipping those areas with surgical blades.

Our dog had surgery & was shaved with a #40 & about 50% of his body& the clipper rash was so severe that when he had the runs whilst still in there care he burnt his scrotum & anus area & not once did they put anything on it.

He suffered more due to the insane clipping than he did from the surgery & given clipper rash can often turn into bad hot spots it isn't something they should be so trivial over

After a month of intense treatment & special care he started to heel but the suffering was not something i would wish on anyone