Board And Train Recommendation

Have been watching a situation for a while and have advised the girl (who lives in Sydney) to book a consult with k9pro, as I think if they don't do something, one of their dogs is going to die at the hands of their other dog.

The husband seems fixed on the idea of board and train rather than an in person consult with a trainer. Now, I don't think that is a good idea for a variety of reasons which I have already explained, but it is falling on deaf ears and at this point I figure some decent advice, even if they get it by way of paying for two weeks board, will be better than nothing.

Can the old timers please let me know if there is any board and train in Sydney that they would contemplate sending a dog to to sort out DA? Am I missing something in saying that I really think aggression needs to be dealt with in situ.

:thanks:

The only board and train group that I know of in Sydney I wouldn't trust with a pet rock!

Ring Steve or any other reputable trainer.

That has definitely been my starting position, do you mind PMing me the name? Hopefully I can at least warn them off the worst options tho' I've already said the whole "it's an unregulated industry, lots of cowboys and scammers" bit.

:( B& T won't change the relationship between these two dogs .....if anything, the status quo will be upset by one being away for some time ..then coming back behaving a bit differently, and smelling heaps different!! The 'underdog' will have probably gained some confidence by not being bullied ..and object to the other dog's return, too.

Not a good plan, from my POV.

1362565711[/url]' post='6142739']

:( B& T won't change the relationship between these two dogs .....if anything, the status quo will be upset by one being away for some time ..then coming back behaving a bit differently, and smelling heaps different!! The 'underdog' will have probably gained some confidence by not being bullied ..and object to the other dog's return, too.

Not a good plan, from my POV.

I think Persephone has zeroed in on the key flaw with the board and train plan in this instance. Perhaps the owners need to consider how their treatment of both dogs might be contributing and to understand that the best way forward will come from someone who views the problems where they are happening - in the home.

It's a bit like expecting any relationship to be resolved by only one participant changing by going away for a while.

Thanks everyone, as they are not my dogs I can only provide advice - and am conscious of the need not to start lecturing. :(

However, thank you all for confirming what I already suspected, which is that B&T is not the right way to go about it.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

It's a bit like expecting any relationship to be resolved by only one participant changing by going away for a while.

Agree with this.

Sad for the dogs really. What people like those you are dealing with, SSM, is that they are unwilling to accept that in most cases the person needs more training than the dog.

They probably have the attitude that, if they see the dogs fighting, they let them go saying, "They'll sort it out." :(:(

It must be very hard for you, but if you want to continue to try to help, maybe you will just have to start lecturing. :shrug: Difficult I know.

The only time I have seen B&T with my own eyes (an elderly neighbour being given as a retirement present a GSD puppy :eek::eek: ) was an exercise in futility and the dog ended up be given to a car yard :cry::cry::cry:

ETA: Nothing wrong with the dog, it was all the owner and the stupid people who gave him the poor dog.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Stay away from Hanrob. :eek:

I think lecturing is not really useful. Mostly people have to be brought around gently. I think if you say bluntly that it's probably not the solution that's the best you can do and the rest is steering them away from the worst places as you say.

I'd consider Veronica and Bruno Grutzner in south-west Sydney.