Fridge Locks

HazyWal

I came home yesterday to find the fridge door open and the entire contents gone :( Stan may not be the brightest star in the sky but when it comes to food he's a genius. I have been googling child safety locks for fridges but they look fairly flimsy, does anyone know a sturdy lock that you don't have to drill holes into the fridge?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Stans mum

Hope Stan is feeling ok today after his pig out!

I have a safety 1st multi purpose latch here, still in its packet, that you could have if you want.

I used the same one on our fridge when my daughter was younger and the base is still firmly attached to the fridge cos I can't get it off :laugh:

If you would like me to send it to you please send me a pm, and tell Stan that whilst I am impressed with his fridge opening skills he must not gorge himself! :laugh:

I came home yesterday to find the fridge door open and the entire contents gone :( Stan may not be the brightest star in the sky but when it comes to food he's a genius. I have been googling child safety locks for fridges but they look fairly flimsy, does anyone know a sturdy lock that you don't have to drill holes into the fridge?

This spotted on a facebook page. one cute u know what equally been up to mischief,

Willett House Veterinary Surgeons

Yesterday was a tale of two sorry dogs who got their noses into more than they bargained for! Mono, a rescued greyhound cross, who is owned by our very own nursing assistant, Julie, decided to snuffle out the family's Easter eggs and ate over three times the toxic dose of chocolate for dogs. He was followed just an hour or so later by Bo, a two year old Jack Russell Terrier, who put her nose in her owner's fishing tackle and came out with a hook on her nose!

Mono was found with Easter egg wrappings all around him when Julie returned from work and had potentially eaten the chocolate up to 6 hours previously. This meant that the toxic part of the chocolate had already had time to be absorbed. He was rushed down to us and was made to be sick to bring up anything left in the stomach and given charcoal to absorb some of the chocolate further down the digestive tract. However he was already feeling rather poorly and was suffering from hypertension (high blood pressure), tachycardia (an extremely high heart rate) and an abnormal heart rhythm. In severe cases this can be fatal and so Mono was closely monitored around the clock. Fortunately, this morning all of this had returned back within normal levels and he was discharged to a much relieved Julie.

Bo, on the other hand, was still a very bright and happy Jack Russell despite her escapade with the fish hook. But with no one wanting to leave her with a nose piercing for long something had to be done. Due to the barb on the hook we couldn't just pull it back out the way it had gone in. In the end, she needed a heavy sedation in order to remove the barb and allow retrieval of the hook. However, she quickly woke up from her sedation and was home again the same evening to get into mischief once again!

—

Edited by inez

woooo you must have an easy open door as my fridge has such strong suction especially if door is recently opened and then closed again. rather then use a lock train to leave it by placing deterrent on fridge, rag soaked in scent off tired to handle, I have 2 entrances to my kitchen area and both dogs know there is an invisable line they cannot cross they stay on the boundary at all times for their protection and mine. so using a baby gate at entrance to kitchen may solve problem as dog would not be able to get in their at all, if entrance is too wide for baby gate just get a pen and place in flat style and what I have done when visiting is use chairs to keep it from falling over if they jump up on it etc.

Some examples here http://www.things4yourdog.com/pet-gates

Thanks all. Well I've been to Bunnings and have a fridge lock that is all hard plastic so should so the trick.

Luckily I am trying to lose weight so there was no chocolate just yoghurt, a variety of cheeses, some left over spag bol, some rice crackers and my chops that were to be my dinner. He did demolish all the dog meat and some lamb briskets. He even took some of the jars out of the fridge door and rolled them around the house!! My house is very old and has several entries to the kitchen. I do have a baby gate on one doorway that gives them the sunroom and access to the yard but that room gets stifling hot in summer.

Zeebie the fridge isn't easy to open so I'm amazed he did it. It doesn't have a handle just one of those cup type thingys you hook your fingers into.

Harley that one you've got looks great, Thank you for your kind offer I will PM you :) Piggy glutton is showing no ill effects of his fridge raid :o

Edited by stans mum

the fridge isn't easy to open so I'm amazed he did it. It doesn't have a handle just one of those cup type thingys you hook your fingers into.

I'm amazed that a dog could do it, too. I've heard of lots of dogs opening cupboard doors, but never a fridge (even the suction should work against it).

Maybe it's the advantage of having a long snout. We had a largish sheltie with a long snout & she could use it like a safe-breaker. But couldn't bust into the fridge. Happy locking up! The fridge, not the dog.

I'm wondering if it's worth putting a second lock on the fridge up high? It would be a pain to have to open 2 locks every time you want to open the fridge though. Maybe the high 2nd lock could be left undone when you're home, but you lock it when you go out?

A bit of added protection against Houdini-Stan. :angeldevil:

:eek: Stan must have thought he'd hit the jackpot. Is that the first time he's raided the fridge? I'm sure it wont be the last if he figures out how to get round the locks.

Yes first time for the fridge, he still opens the empty oven on a regular basis so I knew I had to get something on the fridge quickly. Once he knows there's food in there theres no stopping him...well hopefully multiple fridge locks will. I'm going to put two on there for extra security.

Don't underestimate a determined greyhound and a baby gate. Years ago we fostered a greyhound and the theory was that while she was settling in, while we were out, she would be in the bathroom with a baby gate across the doorway.... just in case she had any accidents. Well, after ciming home fir the third time and finding her in the lounge room, we gave up on that idea. Never once had an accident in the house either. I swear she never moved from her bed while se were out. I think she jumped fhe baby gate each time, with zero run up.

Oh dear ellz...a tag team! Glad I'm not alone :o

Hey there hippo, nice to see a Stan fan :D

Futuredogtrainer you are so right, I underestimated him. Stupid me though always had it in the back of mind that maybe one day he would crack it so I should've taken precautions earlier. Took him two years but he did it.