Meet Oliver... The New Foster

westiemum

Awww Oliver is a cutie ! heart.gif

Thank you also Westiemum for taking him on. I have a lot of respect and admiration for people that take on dogs and give them a second chance in life for love and happiness and better health! thanks.gif

Hope he finds a perfect forever home when the time is right x

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww Oliver is a cutie ! heart.gif

Thank you also Westiemum for taking him on. I have a lot of respect and admiration for people that take on dogs and give them a second chance in life for love and happiness and better health! thanks.gif

Hope he finds a perfect forever home when the time is right x

He is adorable :heart: Wishing only good things for Oliver :)

I take it he has been de-flead? Just wondering if a Capstar may help if he does have flea allergy?

Thanks you two. Yes I do have to a find a home for him Jules. Can't have four dogs here permanently and I don't have enough arms or money for four. But my loss will be someone else's gain. As I keep saying he's a fantastic little dog. He's learning soooo quickly about 'indoor living' (haven't had an accident in days) and he's mastered the art of sitting for his dinner and eating out of a bowl. He's walking on a lead is improving and he's sleeping through the night. So have the big ones ticked off.

Bianca he's had Revolution for his fleas before he left Sydney and there's been no sign of them since he's been here. But will discuss ongoing management for his flea allergy when I see the vet again next Friday. His ears are improving remarkably as well - he doesn't smell anymore!!!

I have nothing to add other than Oliver's adorable. Definitely many mixes but he totally has a silky face, especially from the sides. My silky pup has longish body - I often say he's part sausage dog :)

Thanks little sev. Yes I thought he had a silky face too but not being an expert wasn't 100% sure. So its good to have that confirmed. I'm becoming more confident that amongst others he's a Silky/Cairn cross. I've discovered his tail while carrot shaped is more the length of what you would expect in a silky. But here have been too many Cairn/westie comments as well to ignore that. And his nose is soooo like the westies!!! smile.gif

My 1st thought from the photo showing the tan edging on his ears was silky terrier. What a journey he's had, no wonder he feels needy. He's a little cutie & I'm sure you will find him a wonderful forever home, he certainly deserves it after all he's been through.

My 1st thought from the photo showing the tan edging on his ears was silky terrier. What a journey he's had, no wonder he feels needy. He's a little cutie & I'm sure you will find him a wonderful forever home, he certainly deserves it after all he's been through.

Thanks luvdogs. Yes i think the consensus is he's mainly silky with some Cairn and something white/cream.

Once his coat grows back and he's had a makeover with Elise at the Spoilt dog and he's an even more handsome little man than he already is, I doubt i'll have any trouble finding him a great home.

Thanks kayla1. Yes he's doing very well.

I just wanted to post a couple more photos to see what people thought: Here are two close-ups of his tummy rump and leg skin. Is this typical of flea allergy? (Excuse the explicit photo!)

Any suggestions? Thoughts?

post-11746-0-64493100-1364789243_thumb.jpg post-11746-0-22130000-1364789264_thumb.jpg

Also some of his back end standing and sitting... the odd looking photo on your right is a side shot of him sitting - his butt doesn't seem to get right down and hit the floor.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Its just that his sitting seems very awkward to me - or because of Mac's rebuilt back end am I just paranoid?? embarrass.gif

post-11746-0-56116700-1364789503_thumb.jpg post-11746-0-86522200-1364789516_thumb.jpg

ETA He's back at the vet this Friday night to have his stitches out and will talk to him about this then. I just thought I'd ask the DOL brains trust what they thought. smile.gif. Thanks everyone. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I don't know westiemum, my 1st border collie used to get FAD but it looked like circular to oval crusty sores like hot spots I guess. She got them for years each spring summer season until I discovered Advantage & she never got them again.

I don't know westiemum, my 1st border collie used to get FAD but it looked like circular to oval crusty sores like hot spots I guess. She got them for years each spring summer season until I discovered Advantage & she never got them again.

Thanks luvdogs. Yes he had a dose of Revolution when he first got out of Hawkesbury and went to his temp carer. So he's definitely flea free and I'll give him another dose in a week or twos time. And I can't find anything that looks like hotspots. His dark patches on his pink skin are all over his penis but not his scrotum. Its quite dramatic as you can see which I why I thought I'd ask what people think. smile.gif

It does look like pretty typical flea allergy to me. Poor boy. He does sit oddly but it might not be anything to worry about. Does he walk and run and otherwise move normally?

Yes poor little man. Fancy letting an animal get to this point. At least his coat is clean, and he's free of flea dirt and fleas. (You should have seen the water after his first bath!). He's not scratching now. Yes he moves OK (like greased lightning if I head to the kitchen laugh.gif) - he seems a bit stiff-legged but no more than the westies - Mac in particular. And he doesn't appear to be in any pain. So who knows? confused.gifconfused.gif

Edited by westiemum

Westiemum, a lot of that looks like his pigmentation actually. If he isn't scratching, I would say that all is good.

To show you really really shocking flea allergy, I'll try to find Kisho's thread and link it here.

Two years down the track from rescuing Bunter, he still scratches and because he is elderly and the potential side effects aren't worrying, I give him a half cortisone tablet every three days.

Since getting rid of Bunter's fleas, I haven't seen one, but every so often, all the dogs go through frantic scratching episodes and I reckon it is just environment: heat, grass, pollen, whatever - same as humans. I'm on 2 antihistamines a day as well, otherwise I scratch until I bleed, no matter how hard to will myself to stop :(

Here is Kisho's thread, Westiemum - just to give you some idea of how bad skin can look when the dog hasn't been treated. Kisho was shaved before I met him, but apparently he was about three times the size because his coat was so matted.

See posts 48 and 56. You commented at post 63 LOL and then the change starts 65, 77, 78 and 88.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/185303-fosters-join-the-myrtle-street-moochers/page__hl__kisho

DD thanks for all that - really helpful. Yes now I look at it it could be pigmentation and would explain why the vet didn't comment. Its just that the bare patches are all down the front of his back legs as well Maybe its just the pigmented skin underneath as you say. Anyway I'll talk to the vet about it on Friday night when he goes back for his post-desexing check-up.

He's doing really well. He's still very sensitive about having ointment in his ears so I'm very careful with that, but apart from that his coat is improving by the day and he learnt to eat chicken necks this morning. He had his first heart worm tablet on Monday and seemed very 'windy; yesterday - could clear the lounge - is that normal?

Oh and he's in love with the Ikea light blankets! What is it about these $4.95 acrylic blankets that dogs seem to love?? I thought it was just the westies but Oliver now loves them too! Will have to get his a couple to take with him to his new home!

Mine love the fleecies as well. I toss a couple onto the bed at night so they can play at "digging to China" and then snuggle into them.

No advice on the h'worm tablet, sorry. All mine (and past rescues) are on the annual vax.

Thansk again DD - I know little about heart worm Rx as its not a problem here in SA - or so I've been lead to believe and the westies have never been on it. The vet said he needed it coming from a Sydney pound. So I'm following instructions - but phew was he smelly boy yesterday!!laugh.gif

As to the fleecies - Oliver and Mac are on one having taken over the lounge!!! So cute!!!laugh.gif

Fleecies are popular here too! About the heartworm tablet Westiemum - is it heartworm only or a combination worming tablet? I always find the broad spectrum worming tablet causes some tummy upset whereas the heartworm only tablet seems OK.