Meet Oliver... The New Foster

westiemum

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Westie, the name is inspired. :)

Thanks Mita!! I think so too even if I do say so myself!! It was a DOL thread on dog names that insired me. I narrowed it down to six or so and kept coming back to Oliver. It really suits him and his 'I want more' character! I also wanted him to have a name that I think most adopters could live with and honoured his resilience - just like orphan Oliver of Dickens fame!! thumbsup1.gif

And his potential adopters can be told he's Oliver, a Dickens of a good dog! :)

I love it when the name suits a dog & will follow him into his new life.

Well I love a terrier type and especially ones that have had a rough time, it's so rewarding to bring them back to great health!

I usually only bath once in Malaseb at the beginning, if at all as it's quite harsh on a sore skin. I prefer Alloveen which is very gentle and then I'd only bath every 2-3 weeks probably.

If it's just flea allergy, give him the good diet (sardines are great, sweet potato, some flaxseed etc) and give it a couple of months - he'll be in great condition with his hair growing back. It's truly amazing how well they come back.

Great rescue!

Thanks dogmad very much. Its lovely having a foster here again. Andy was the last a couple of years back and he became a foster failure! I'd love to keep Oliver but I just can't having three dogs already. So finding a great home for him will be the next step .

Yes according to the vet its flea allergy.

The general consensus here seems to be minimal bathing (which is what happens here anyway), and lots of oily fish. Wil try some sweet potato over Easter (the westies will enjoy that as well)

Would the VAN supplement stuff be of any use do you think? (I'm concerned he might benefit from short-term supplementation to boost vitamins and minerals just to start?)

Thanks again everyone. :)

He's pretty darn Oliverish :)

Just watch that long stretch ..it CAN be a sign of abdominal discomfort .....

he is one lucky boy!

Ah Ha!!! Thanks Pers and DD - I noticed he did that stretching a lot and he yelps a bit if you pick him up around the tummy - but its not swollen, hot or tight. and you can rub it without affecting him. Its only when you pick him up he occasionally yelps. I'll ask the vet to have a look when I'm back there next week. Any ideas on what it might be or anything I should do in the meantime?

Just watch that long stretch ..it CAN be a sign of abdominal discomfort .....

Oh yes! I meant to comment on that too. I found that out many years ago when I thought one of my dogs was being playful and bowing :(:(

What did it end up being DD, if you don't mind me asking? Anyway off to do some lead training with him - will check in again later. Thanks again everyone smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

W M ..

I have noticed it with 'just ' an upset tum , with bloat , after injury ..... they are trying to stretch things back to being comfortable .

It may also be a back problem.....

It's not something I enjoy seeing repeated .

Hope the boy is just stretching a muscle or something ....

:o I did actually think his tummy looked a bit tight in the one photo ...and thought he may have been old and had some fluid?

Pancreatitis, Westiemum, but I think if he had anything as bad as that, he would not be the happy chappy he is. He may just have a tummy ache (if anything at all) from more food and better food than he is used to.

He has been pretty well vetted, so I think it is just something to be aware of at this stage. Didn't mean to scare you.

He may just have a tummy ache (if anything at all) from more food and better food than he is used to.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

:) *nods*

also apologies if I scared you - however , it can be one of those useful little bits of info to keep tucked away .... ;)

W M ..

I have noticed it with 'just ' an upset tum , with bloat , after injury ..... they are trying to stretch things back to being comfortable .

It may also be a back problem.....

It's not something I enjoy seeing repeated .

Hope the boy is just stretching a muscle or something ....

:o I did actually think his tummy looked a bit tight in the one photo ...and thought he may have been old and had some fluid?

Pancreatitis, Westiemum, but I think if he had anything as bad as that, he would not be the happy chappy he is. He may just have a tummy ache (if anything at all) from more food and better food than he is used to.

He has been pretty well vetted, so I think it is just something to be aware of at this stage. Didn't mean to scare you.

Well we've just got back from our first 'proper' lead walk. And he did very well - coped with cars but clearly didn't like them very much!

Thanks very much Pers and DD. Pers I've rubbed his tummy and it definitely feels normal. The back is another question. When I pick him up under his arms or around his tummy he occasionally yelps. But you can rub along his spine with quite some pressure and he doesn't bat an eyelid. But the vet manipulated him pretty well a week ago and nothing at all suspicious came up.

DD thank you but not concerned - just don't want to overlook anything. I'm sure its nothing as serious as pancreatitis. He's not sick like Andy was when that was queried with him a few months back. I'm actually wondering if he's constipated? The poor boy has been from the pound, to foster care to transport kenneling to me so in some ways I'm not surprised his tummy might be a bit upset. He's had to get used to the westies raw diet pretty fast. But I'll talk to the vet about it after Easter and collect some poo to take with me as well. smile.gif

He may just have a tummy ache (if anything at all) from more food and better food than he is used to.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

:) *nods*

also apologies if I scared you - however , it can be one of those useful little bits of info to keep tucked away .... ;)

'Zactly. Thanks Pers. The clever boy has found the warm air outlet on the side of the laptop and muscled Sarah out - she has a peeved look on her face!!laugh.gif

He certainly is a little cutie.

I wouldn't use the Malaseb at all, it is far too drying and if you do not need to treat some specific skin complaint with it I would avoid it. Freshen him up with a rinse in warm water with a splash of Alpha Keri or QV oil. I have found the VAN Skin & Coat supplement along with a good omega oil and a great diet (I prefer raw) the best way to get their skin and coat back in order.

Thanks Crisovar for confirming - I've always wondered what the VAN was like but never felt my guys needed it.

But might give it a go with Oliver even if just short-term - I think he could do with a bit of extra supplementation to get him started...

Brushing him regularly with a soft bristled brush can help stimulate the skin and hair follicles too. :)

Thanks Kirty - didn't think of that. He's just had a can of sardines and wolfed them down like there's no tomorrow... next for the brush!!!thumbsup1.giflaugh.gif

Yes, WM. I think people sometimes forget that these little rescue babies can go through a heap of experiences in a very short time. Handled by different people, unfamiliar travel, etc etc etc. It is a testament to their remarkable adaptability that they bounce back so quickly.

What's one of the best songs from "Oliver" . . . . . .

Consider yourself one of us .

LOL. I reckon Oliver is feeling one of you and yours very quickly.

Yes, WM. I think people sometimes forget that these little rescue babies can go through a heap of experiences in a very short time. Handled by different people, unfamiliar travel, etc etc etc. It is a testament to their remarkable adaptability that they bounce back so quickly.

What's one of the best songs from "Oliver" . . . . . .

Consider yourself one of us .

LOL. I reckon Oliver is feeling one of you and yours very quickly.

Very clever DDrofl1.gif But don't even think about it... smile.gif

Thanks B! Yes a lovely cutie! He's a really happy little man with the waggiest tail - it never stops! And when you think about all he's been through in the last few weeks - through the pound and getting here - he's remarkable. And then the ultimate indignity last Monday of desexing, ear flushing, biopsy and cyst popping! Their resilience is incredible...smile.gif