Man Tattoos Pet Dog

LizT

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If everything was done hygenically and dog was anaesthetised ... no outcry from me . Cropped ears, now ........ icon_smile_mad.gif

Yes. Those ears are gastly. :( Is he qualified to administer an anaesthetic? Wonder what he used? Chloroform?

She may not have felt it while she was under, but she certainly would be sore for a long while after, right on the sensitive part of her tum.

If he wants to id her microchip her!

The ears are a f#*king disgrace!!

Animals are not ours to mutliate for our own ego.

His dogs look happy and well cared for, I am sure there is some other more pressing animal cruelty issue somewhere that could be made into more significant news. I doubt the ears where done as adults, I don't agree with the ears (and who is to say he did it? it was likely the breeder anyway), but then I would have to flip a wig at 99% of USA Breeders of Danes, Dobes, Boxers etc.

The site didn't look red, angry or infected... de-sexing a female dog leaves them way more sore than that would, my mastiff X went through hell with her recovery it knocked her about like she was hit by a truck. I'm not against de-sexing I am just saying we cant call one thing animal cruelty cos it hurts the dog, and another thing not animal cruelty cos it hurts the dog "for a better cause".

There is a video that says he applied a surface anaesthetic and that she was "asleep" he didn't say he knocked her out, I would say being an Amstaff/PitBull esque type dog it was likely that if she couldn't feel what was being done to her she would have just flaked out there anyway.

Not saying what he did was right/wrong what ever - parents pierce their kids ears without say so and do other things to them before they are aware and can say "No". Dog is in the same position I guess.

Bottom line... there are dogs in far worse "peril" than this dog that would be more news worthy.

I find it pretty bizarre and a bit distasteful really, he did say in the footage I saw that the dog was "under" I assumed this meant anaesthetic and that he applied topical anaesthetic as well. No mention of a vet though so also wondering what he used? Anyone who has had a tattoo will tell you you would have absolutely no chance of getting a dog to submit to that without anaesthetic or serious physical restraint. It is pretty painful, almost like a constant burning sensation and the dog and tattoo are both quite large. I struggle with the reasoning that it is to identify and protect the dog because it is an emblem, if he was really worried about the dog why not his name and address/phone number.Although it could be argued it is a unique identifier I suppose, personally I just had my dogs microchipped!

I can't see any reason other than cosmetic and he felt like it. I don't see how it can be compared to desexing a dog which isn't purely cosmetic? I can see why it is compared to ear cropping though because as far as I know there is no reason other than cosmetic to do that either.

May he couldn't spell his name and address, he certainly couldn't spell the dog's name assuming the report was correct and her name is Duchess. I also struggle with the "there are worse things" concept, sure there are, doesn't mean it is ok though in my humble opinion.

Dear Dog, you can imagine what some dogs would look like if tattooing and piercing them was legal! I think Huck House's link to that art work is spot on! No white dog would stand a chance and any of the tougher looking breeds would be sporting studs from every orifice!

Based on Mixedupup's post I'm going to be a little controversial here but it is an honest quetion. Having grown up on a farm I've seen the calves and adult horses branded. All done as quickly as possible to reduce stress but certainly they were restrained (temporarily) and did not get any anaesthetic or pain relief. Never seen it done to a dog but I would not be surprised if it was on some farms at branding time. Pain wise would there be any difference between what a dog and livestock physically feel? Would livestock hide be thicker? Given a relationship between man and dog I'm sure there would be an increased fear and distress at being retrained and exposed to pain but then horse and man can also have close relationships based on trust. Is the branding of livestock just something then that we have come to accept because it has been happened for hundreds of years or is it really different because of their hides and level of pain they would feel? I was just thinking about branding pigs as well - from memory they have skin like/similar to humans. They get branded don't they?

Oh and I do know that tattooing is a prolonged process so not the same as branding. I'm thinking pain wise branding would have to be worse because the skin layers are being burnt?

The dogs are tattooed using a gun and it's done in one motion. The ears aren't so bad but flake tattooing is quite painful (have seen the reaction) and I would never flank tattoo without local first. Pups seem to recover from ear tattoos almost immediately. I've never seen a dog branded and hate the idea of it ever being done. I much prefer freeze branding for livestock or ear tagging.

Edited by mixeduppup

we have a slap tattooer here for pigs .. numbers are configured by metal pins on a flat head ..then it is well inked , and whacked onto a piggy shoulder .

My guess it hurts ! Think of a small hairbush with pointy pins instead of soft bristles .....

Better than heat branding/burning :( That always looks and smells just awful. Mind you, it is a very small surface area in comparison to teh size of the animal....

I have never heard of anyone branding a dog ..the skin is way too thin, and there is not the fat/muscle underneath to absorb heat fast enough ..I think it would be absolute cruelty .

Freeze branding still 'burns' permanently damages/scars skin :(

Mixeduppup...may I ask what sort of tattoos are you speaking of on your dogs? where are they tattooed? Was a gun as used for human tattoos used? When you speak of "in one motion" what does that mean?

I have only tattooed anesthetized animals similar to the way the pigs are branded with a spiked flat head post op desexing.

Certain breed clubs tattoo pups dont they? I assume they are not anesthetized when it is done. Only re-tattooing at an older age(should it be illegible) requires a GA.

I am against vanity tattooing of animals.

So it sounds like the tattooers are a bit like an ear piercing gun - one click and it happens simultaneously? I must admit my branding experience goes back like 30 years to a very remote farm and techniques must've changed over that time (like freeze branding rather than fire branding). I've spent time on my sister's goat/sheep farm since then but never during branding so admit I have never bothered to ask how they do it these days. It may just be all ear tags. I must ask next time I'm down there.

And Pers I hadn't thought about what was under the skin either and how the heat is absorbed by the physiology of different species.

Do ears in general have less nerves on most species (inc humans). I know one of my now deceased SBT's lost a chunk of ear (from up near the point) in a fight and it didn't bother her one bit. Maybe that is why the desex tattoo goes there and why some livestock are tagged through the ear area?

Goats & sheep are mostly ear tagged, or ear marked, where a small shaped chunk is "punched" through/out of the ear flap ... ,,sheep in addition may have a paint type brand on the wool surface.

Ear tag insertion and healing is certainly felt ..but I think it is much less than human earlobe piercing - being done in cartilage ..not fat/flesh...and the fact adrenaline is running high at being confined/handled at all would almost negate it , IMO.