Info Aimed At Pre Teens

persephone

I recently met two absolutely lovely girls .... are keen to breed their pet terriers ...

I would like to explain it in a way which is interesting, and friendly , factual, but not using a big stick .... they hate the thought of puppy farms , love their little dogs .....

If money isn't the issue, then you might like to try to get them to look at how much work is involved in responsible rehoming and will there be enough homes, with people just like them who love and spoil their dogs. It's not easy to find homes for puppies that will give them all the love and care you expect and will keep them for life

How old are we talking? I know you say pre-teen but what sort of age frame are we looking at? Generally until kids are about 10 or 11 on average, they really cannot grasp the finer concepts associated with costs etc, especially given that they are not the ones paying directly, it would be their parents.

I know you are very remote, but are you or anyone responsible planning a litter any time soon? If so, could they be on hand for all the hard work? I'm not talking a one-off come play with the puppies experience that will just make them want their own, I mean a day in day out all hours experience where they are have to work hard. I'm not sure of the logistics of this though, it may not be feasible in this situation. Our pups are 5 weeks old at the moment and I am just exhausted from picking up puppy poo, cleaning poo-covered puppies if I'm not fast enough to pick it up, listening to whinging as they have decided they are bored and want to play in the playpen, stopping puppies scaling the puppy pen, etc etc. To top it all off we only have 3 puppies in this litter! Not to mention waking up early for their first feed and going to bed late after their last feed. Mum has completely dried up and they are incredibly active pups, so its 4 hourly feeds at the moment (except overnight).

If they are really keen, why not offer to help them find a pup when the time is right and they are a bit older? That way, they can start researching breeds now and build up their knowledge so that they are well and truly ready when the time comes. Kids are sponges when it comes to learning, and if it is something that they are seriously interested in then chances are they will love the opportunity to do this research and make sure it is done properly. When the time is right to contact a breeder then you can be there to help them with that too.

I agree with others on the 'doing it the right way' stance. I knew from a very early age I wanted to be involved with dogs and breed them. I ended up discovering the show/pedigree world for myself because I was an industrious researcher, and have since made some great friends and mentors in my chosen breed. When the time comes to do it, I'll be doing it right. :) If they really do love their dogs then they would probably be open to being taught about the sporting/showing world and may be prepared to wait until they are more knowledgable and a more suitable dog comes up.

How did a pre-teen afford 4k?

Their family , obviously :)

I guess I was hoping someone would have some words suitable for the mature 12 yo , which would strike a chord with them, and then could be relayed to parent .....

No matter, I will put something together , using the reasoning, facts suggested .... and which will hopefully lead to them getting their dogs desexed very soon !

Thanks, folks.

Pre-teen girls will probably respond best to emotive arguments :) Perhaps just say something like "yes, they are lovely and it is tempting to let them have pups BUT you can never be 100% sure that those pups have good homes for life and don't end up in the pound like so many other cute dogs" which at the end of the day is the major concern.

If money isn't the issue, then you might like to try to get them to look at how much work is involved in responsible rehoming and will there be enough homes, with people just like them who love and spoil their dogs. It's not easy to find homes for puppies that will give them all the love and care you expect and will keep them for life

This. I'd harp on about how lucky their dogs are to have such devoted owners & that they are unusual, that plenty of people would PTS a dog before spending $4k on it, or take a dog to the pound before vetwork/training. And that they wouldn't be able to be sure they could find so many perfect homes like their dogs have. And maybe get together a list of excuses the pound/rescuers normally hear from people.

I'd go this way, embrace that they want to breed but show them the right way to do it, registered breeding, showing working etc

All the above may not even be valid anymore after the new dog law reviews. :mad

Rosettas reply makes the point more IMO maybe also ask what would they do if the pups had deformity or some genetic fault or disease as they can't health test the parents & know nothing about their ancestry & can't find out. May hit home. Hard one even adults ignore all advice.

If they really love their dogs, then I would be going down the track of having puppies can be dangerous for the bitch if something goes wrong & they could lose their beloved pet. How hard it is to find good homes for the pups & the reason why so many end up in rescue & get PTS. Maybe encourage them to go to some dog shows & see how it is done properly. Maybe it's the parents that need educating, not the kids. :)