Puppy Checklist

smashtank

Hi all

I'm picking up my French Bulldog in three weeks from today - he will be nine weeks when I get him. I'm just wondering what I definitely need on hand when he arrives. I can't seem to find a checklist!

So far this is my list:

Crate with mattress and blanket - done

Baby gate - done

Two water bowls

Food bowl

Food (going to check with breeder what type of Royal Canin she is feeding and will get same. She said she gives a supply anyway with my puppy pack)

Bed for home and for occasional days at work

Toys - ropes, rubber ones, soft toys, squeaky things, Kongs

Back seat buddy car seat cover

Shampoo

Pee pads and some fake grass patches

Enzyme cleaner

Anti-chew spray for furniture I can move out of his bedroom

Collar and lead (I might wait and take him to the pet store up the road from me so I don't get the wrong size)

Is there anything else you'd recommend me having? I get really overwhelmed in the pet stores especially when the staff see me with a list!

Thanks!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list looks pretty good to me :)

One thing I got for Elsie before I took her home was a tag engraved with my address and phone number, I hadn't named her yet so no name on it, but I wanted her to have some form of ID from the moment I took her home.

The list looks pretty good to me :)

One thing I got for Elsie before I took her home was a tag engraved with my address and phone number, I hadn't named her yet so no name on it, but I wanted her to have some form of ID from the moment I took her home.

Didn't even think of that! Good idea! I might go choose a tag tomorrow!

Awww how exciting, i bet you can't wait for him to come and live with you! biggrin.gif

I was lucky Miah's breeder brought her up to us complete with a lot of things including her bedding, a weeks worth of food, puppy collar, toys, food bowl etc

Cardboard boxes are fun for them to play in and wreak while they are puppies ;-)

I think you have fairly well got everything covered !

Yeah i organised a name tag before she Miah arrived.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

You could ask the breeder about collar size.

I got my dog from AWL and she came with a collar that is way too small for her now.

Her first few beds were cardboard (and she ate them), and mattresses ended up being shredded too - so she ended up with really old pillows buried very deep under old jumpers (which she also ripped up), and no access to room with her bed, my bed and my sox, shoes and washing unless we were sleeping.

I wanted but never got - a baby gate. I did use some old card board moving boxes instead. I also started with a metal crate with a plastic tray - and put newspapers and old jumpers in that. Which she also ripped up.

I got some puppy pads for her, but she never used them. Even when I put them next to the back door. I was pretty good at spotting when she needed to go out so we didn't have many accidents. I also set my alarm to take her out during the night - so I was sleep deprived but no accidents then either. And the cat problem was totally sorted within a month of her arrival.

For anything else you might have not thought about

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training

Investigate your local vets, narrow down which ones you might choose (and which is closest, and which is 24hr for emergencies etc)

Thanks - I asked someone with a Frenchie who lives in my suburb where they go so will look into that some more.

Awww how exciting, i bet you can't wait for him to come and live with you! biggrin.gif

I was lucky Miah's breeder brought her up to us complete with a lot of things including her bedding, a weeks worth of food, puppy collar, toys, food bowl etc

Cardboard boxes are fun for them to play in and wreak while they are puppies ;-)

I think you have fairly well got everything covered !

Yeah i organised a name tag before she Miah arrived.

Will find some boxes!

My girls first collar was a cat collar of some kind.

You forget how tiny puppies are until you go pick them up

You could ask the breeder about collar size.

I got my dog from AWL and she came with a collar that is way too small for her now.

Her first few beds were cardboard (and she ate them), and mattresses ended up being shredded too - so she ended up with really old pillows buried very deep under old jumpers (which she also ripped up), and no access to room with her bed, my bed and my sox, shoes and washing unless we were sleeping.

I wanted but never got - a baby gate. I did use some old card board moving boxes instead. I also started with a metal crate with a plastic tray - and put newspapers and old jumpers in that. Which she also ripped up.

I got some puppy pads for her, but she never used them. Even when I put them next to the back door. I was pretty good at spotting when she needed to go out so we didn't have many accidents. I also set my alarm to take her out during the night - so I was sleep deprived but no accidents then either. And the cat problem was totally sorted within a month of her arrival.

For anything else you might have not thought about

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training

Wow! I hope my boy doesn't destroy everything in sight! Haha!

What about grooming needs? He probably doesn't require much grooming, but having a slicker brush handy is always good.

I forgot a brush - thanks!

I visited my boy (chocloate lab) when he was 6 weeks old and then picked him up at 8. At the 6 week visit I measured his neck with my hands and used that as a guide for the collar. I got a really cheap flat collar that my measure was the smallest size in. The collar only lasted 2 weeks and now he's in an adjustable collar and he's still going to out grow it in a couple of weeks I think!!

The best bought toy he has is the kong wobbler. It's great when I go to work. I put his lunch in it in the morning and there's still some left in the afternoon, but a fair chunk has gone! He LOVES plastic bottles! (Juice/soft drink bottles with the lids/ring/label removed)

I bought a soft dog toy and slept with it for a week and gave it to my breeder at the 6 week visit along with an old towel. 2 days before pick up he put them in with the litter and mum so my boy was a) used to my smell - and came running to me when I went to pick him up - and b) had a comfort item when he came home that smelt like his litter/mum.

Start saving ice cream containers! I use mine to make big ice cubes...! I freeze things like bits of mince (I use human grade mince and freeze it in ziplock bags for training treats), carrot, cored/seeded apple, or banana and he loves chasing it around the yard! The big ice blocks are also slow release food while I'm at work. I also have a puppy ice cube tray in my freezer. I mash banana (his favourite food!!) with a little bit of water so it freezes harder and he gets 2-3 a day...

I went to Vinnies and bought lots of blankets! LOTS!!! Puppy chews everything and it meant that if he had an accident I could easily change his bed...! For about $4 you can get a double blanket that will keep your little one happy!! I have 3 on the go at any time (1 in the crate - where he sleeps at night - 1 in his kennel - where he sleeps during the day - and one on the only section of couch he's allowed on)... He knows now (14 weeks) that he can only get on the couch where the blanket is...

I also have a "mat" for him in the lounge room so he has his own special place to sit with us...!

Sorry, lots of things I've discovered!! :D Enjoy your little one!!

Buy bowls that are ceramic or metal as eating and drinking from plastic bowls can give dogs pimples.

There are some really lovely ceramic bowls available these days and I prefer them as the weight means they don't slide around much. Plus they keep the dog's water nice and cool.

Edited by Mim

Oh really I didn't know that Mim! I have used plastic bowls heaps over the years for my pets and i cant recall them having any pimples. I will have to go and check now! ;-)

I have also had stainless steel bowls over the years too.

Miah has a cute little purple ceramic bowl that came with her, biggrin.gif

After my mishap yesterday (see bathing puppy in the puppy section of the forum) I was going to say puppy shampoo, but I see it's already on your list :thumbsup:

I had a good read of your list and although Banjo has been home for 5 days now I have picked up a couple of handy things from this thread. I also got Banjo's name/phone number tag before he came home.

Does anyone have any hints for where to get really large ceramic bowls? Was thinking for a water bowl, might be cooler than a bucket but seems impossible. Might look at a big sealed pot with no drainage hole!

Thanks for the tips!

Should I buy the same puppy pads that my breeder is using?

I'm also tempted to buy one of those 'The Pet Loo' but my breeder said the puppy won't want to climb that high... She said to stick with pads and maybe put some fake grass on top. Not sure the pet loo is worth almost $300...

Gosh my little bundle of joy has cost me a small fortune already!

Still have left to buy:

Bowls

Bed

Pee pads

Collar and lead (saw cute zebra pony hair set at Dogue)

ID tag (maybe from this website - www.laserpettages.com - the paw print one)

Shampoo (my friend is getting me the Aesop one as he works there)

Have spent a small fortune already and I've only paid a deposit on the pup! Eeeek!

Just down to bowls, collar and lead, and ID tag now...

chichi%20bowl%20handle.JPG

http://pawspoint.com.au/bowls-2/gold-bone-dog-bowl-876.html

This is cool from the little pet boutique up the road from me. Might buy a big one (water) and a small one (food).

DOGUE-animal-print-dog-collar_med.jpg

http://www.dogue.com.au/product/143/DOGUE-Pony-Hair-Collars

We'll probably get the zebra print collar. Watch him grow out of it pretty quick though!

Matching lead...

DOGUE-animal-print-dog-lead_med.jpg

http://www.dogue.com.au/product/163/DOGUE-Pony-Hair-Leads

Now to find an ID tag..............!