Need To Board My Dog's.

BC Crazy

Hi Everyone, Sorry is this topic has been done to death!!! But....

I have to go into hospital at the end of the month for 4 days & will be unable to do anything for 6 week's after :eek::(

I will need to board my 2 Border Collies which is terrifying me as I have never been away from then for more than a few hours & with all the horror stories you here

about some of these places.....

So was wondering if there are any wonderful places that fellow dolers would recommend. No 1 priority for me would be that they must be experienced.. Some of my other

requirements would be that they are kept together & not housed or mixing with any other dogs. They must be safely exercised daily.

My girl has daily meds & is a very anxious dog so I am very worried about how she will adapt. She will need extra care IMHO.

Am looking at anywhere from Central Coast to just North of Newcastle. Or inland area's Maitland, Cesnock. I would rather travel if that means piece of mind.

Terrigal Pet Resort looks really good. Interested in opinions/experiences :thanks:

First I hope all goes well for you in hospital... & for the 6 weeks recovering.

I know exactly how you feel if I were in that same situation.

Wish you were in Qld because I know one place that would suit beautifully. They even have a vet on staff.

But I'm sure you'll get recommendations to similar good places... that are geographically possible.

Thanks for your kind thoughts Mita. Truth be known I am scared to death of the whole idea but even more worried about my 2 kids. They are my world.

I wish I lived in Qld, sounds ideal with Vet on staff & everything. I was thinking I may only need to board them for 2 weeks, maybe, hopefully. I was

going to hire a tread mill for home as I won't be able to walk them. OH won't be able to either as he has a torn Archilles ATM & can't walk very well.

It is kaos here. Everything is happening at once.

Edited by BC Crazy

Thanks for your kind thoughts Mita. Truth be known I am scared to death of the whole idea but even more worried about my 2 kids. They are my world.

I wish I lived in Qld, sounds ideal with Vet on staff & everything. I was thinking I may only need to board them for 2 weeks, maybe, hopefully. I was

going to hire a tread mill for home as I won't be able to walk them.

BC, I've just had a thought. That kennels I know of in Qld are run by a family that's been in the business for yonks. They head up a professional association for kennel owners. So why don't I phone them & ask if they know of a kennels in your region, that runs their business just like they do.

You are going to do well.... I just know it.... because your heart is set on getting back with your 2 kids.

Will you be able to keep in touch with us on DOL, while you're in hospital? There'd be lots of cyber hugs for you. :)

Oh thanks for your trouble mita. That is a great idea. You brought tears to my eye's. Appreciate your kindness :)

I hope I can take my mobby into hospital so I will be able to still keep contact.

Have you thought of having someone come to your home to feed and medicate plus walk dogs.

I do see in my local newspaper people advertising home care of animals. They are usually vet nurses. Just a thought.

I think this would be a great idea...you could still have your dogs with you while you are recovering, & hire a dog walker to come every day & excercise them for you...then you will only need to find a kennel for the 4 days that you are in hospital :)

Best wishes that all goes well for you.. :hug:

I hadn't thought of that. I would need someone really experienced as my girl is very reactive & can be DA at times. She is my main worry. My boy is problem free. Just a lovely boy.

I was thinking that too, and that way you can have them around if you're recovering at home for the 6 weeks? Sounds like you have a few weeks to find someone capable that you can work with & trust. Check around vets etc.

I have heard good things about the Terrigal Pet resort without having used them myself. They too may know of trustworthy and experienced dog walkers? It might be handy to have 2 on your books if possible, so that if they need to, they can alternate days, or you have a back up if one of them isn't available one day.

Sorry you're in this situation and best of luck with the surgery :flower:

I too have heard good reports about Terrigal Pet Resort but have never used them. Not sure how well you will be when you get home but if possible try to board them for a week and get a treadmill to exercise the dogs at home. I'm sure they would rather be home with you even if they don't get to go anywhere for 6 weeks and then you will still have the treadmill to use as necessary as you get back on your feet again.

If you want to come as far as Sydney, Danbeth Boarding Kennels are very experienced with Borders, having bred them for several years. They are one of the few kennels I have ever used and I was very happy with them. Also ask the breeders of your dogs if they are in a position to board them for you.

Hi dancin, danbeth sounds wonderful as I would really love someone breed savvy to take care of them. They bred Stella's grandmother actually. I suppose I could ask their breeders for some recommendations/ideas. Just don't like to bother them but just this once as it is quite important.

My parents use Lakes Canine Lodge and Spa in Mandalong. I believe it's quite small and the dogs get some individual treatment. Is it worth me talking to my partner about possibly taking Stella at least? I'm not sure if we have room for two extras, but we could probably do one. We are southern Sydney, but could probably meet you halfway. I'm video coding at the moment, so at home pretty much all the time.

BC, I spoke to the people at the excellent Brisbane kennels & asked if they personally knew of someone in your general region who operated the same way they do. Unfortunately, they didn't have any knowledge about kennels in NSW.

I hope some of the other suggestions made, will help you.

Corvus, thanks so much for offering your experienced hand to mind Stella. Such a kind thought. But I would be very reluctant to separate Stella from Sonny for any length of time. Imo it would just add to her anxiety levels being on her own in unfamilar surroundings. In all honesty I would love someone with your experience to handle/review her as both Stella & I would really benefit from it on so many levels.

Appreciate your very kindness :)

Mita , thanks for inquiring at your work for me. It was certainly worth a try.

Edited by BC Crazy

Before we kennelled our boy, we inspected all the local and surrounding kennels.

Our pick was playhouse pet motel wyee, David Michelle and staff are amazing. We used them for about 3yrs with no problems, issues or concerns.

Then I seen an advert for terrigal pet resort and was blown away, I did an inspection and booked my boy into his own personal suite, he stayed there once and I would NEVER use them or recommend them.

Then on discussion with local dog owners and in particular my local vets and their receptionists, everyone was saying nothing but praises for akuna care pet resort at sawyers gully.

So I went and did an inspection and my boy has stayed there 4 times and now I too, highly recommend them.

My boy is excited to get there, he comes home looking great, facilities are clean, staff friendly and a huge range of boarding packages to choose from.

All I know is he seems pretty happy to go there, looks healthy coming home, staff are friendly and professional and that means all good, would recommend!!!

I was very anxious about boarding my dogs as well and had the same requirements....that they are boarded together, plenty of exercise, no interaction with other dogs, plus one of my dogs was on medication. I boarded them at Akuna and it was great. Marcus and Ariel, the owners, are lovely, really care about dogs, and have a policy of no interaction between strange dogs.

While Terrigal pet resort is good as well, they do tend to board strange dogs together, so you would have to give very strict instructions about your requirements.