How Would You Describe Agility To General Public

My small town with a population of about 300, more with surrounding areas, is about to host the NSW Northern Region three day agility trial. We have great facilities, the weather is more reliable than on the coast & of course, good food at the local pub :laugh: We had a trial here last year & I was disappointed that not many of the locals came out to watch. Feedback was that they didn't even know it was on, not even the PostMaster. So this time I want to make up some posters & distribute them around, to entice more people to come along & enjoy a good day out. Who knows, we might even pick up some new members for the dog clubs in the region :thumbsup:

I need suggestions....apart from the obvious things like Name of event & date etc.....what words would you use to describe dog agility to the general public...some of whom have never heard of it.

Edited by sheena

I usually describe it as being a bit like a cross between show jumping and obstacle course for dogs, with the handlers running with them instead of risding. That should work OK in your area, sheena - then maybe put a couple of specky pics in.

Any more adjectives from a spectators point of view :confused: Remember, You have never seen dogs do agility before & this is your first impression :laugh: I remember my first word when I saw a dog do the weave poles on a video...was WOW :eek: Wish I had more agility photos in my file besides my own two BC's.

A test of speed and accuracy through an obstacle course - including.... ?

Follow that up with a brief description of what they actually do, ie; the dogs are directed a a high speed by their handlers over jumps, through tunnels, weaves ... etc... top dogs competing from all over the state ...(or country)..

People don't want to read an essay, they just want to know what the hell it is laugh.gif

Wish I had more agility photos in my file besides my own two BC's.

I think pictures are the best way to grab peoples attention and give them an idea very quickly what it is. I'm sure some DOLers would let you use some agility photos if you don't have many? I'm happy to donate some. Different breeds to show the variety is a good idea.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: Just wondering DC, how would I get a couple of photos from that list? & they are all copyrighted.

FHRP...what if I PM you with my email address, if you have something a little different.

Another question....instead of a Dog Walk, what would you call it??? Maybe High beam, or "walk the plank" :laugh:

I'm having fun with this :)

There are some photos in this album that you are welcome to use if you like :) It is from the Dog of the Year Finals for NSW in 2011, and a few from AD from memory. There are a pretty big range of breeds featured.

Festival of Agility 2011

DC...I tried to message you my email address, but maybe your mail box is full :)

a bunch of crazy dog people running excitedly around an obstacle course while their dog does all the work :p

That's just about it, Pers :laugh:

Thanks Delta Charlie & FHRP, for all the trouble you went to for me, love all your photos. I managed to get just the ones I needed off the internet & the project is finished :thumbsup: almost...just waiting on final approval from up above :)

When all the entries are in, I might even put it up here for all to see :laugh:

Edited by sheena