Large Collars

What good quality collars are others using on their large breed dogs? I can't count how many web collars I've been through and they are never a fit that I'm satisfied with. I prefer good quality leather collars but won't have "studs" on them. Any recommendations? We are talking big e.g. 48cm round plus enough to secure under the keeper. Appreciate any suggestions.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much for the suggestions :) I should mention that I'm dealing with an extremely intelligent and strong bitch that will open up cheap rings, snap plastic and undo anything else by rubbing it the right way on a tree/fence/brick work as soon as your back is turned :eek: Failing collars are not conducive to solid training. Poor quality collars caused this issue in the first place.

It's really very difficult to buy anything leather online without being able to feel the quality of it, isn't it? I did like the look of the "no frills" collar by Ruthless Leather but for $135 I can't even see a mention what type of leather they are or even a picture of the buckle. Call me stingy but I have bridles with a lot more quality leather and workmanship in them than this and they don't seem good value in comparison. These look the part I suppose but the k9pro leather ones seem more "transparent online shopping experience" to me. Call me sceptical.

All suggestions very much appreciated. I am not much of an online shopper.

Thanks very much for the suggestions :) I should mention that I'm dealing with an extremely intelligent and strong bitch that will open up cheap rings, snap plastic and undo anything else by rubbing it the right way on a tree/fence/brick work as soon as your back is turned :eek: Failing collars are not conducive to solid training. Poor quality collars caused this issue in the first place.

It's really very difficult to buy anything leather online without being able to feel the quality of it, isn't it? I did like the look of the "no frills" collar by Ruthless Leather but for $135 I can't even see a mention what type of leather they are or even a picture of the buckle. Call me stingy but I have bridles with a lot more quality leather and workmanship in them than this and they don't seem good value in comparison. These look the part I suppose but the k9pro leather ones seem more "transparent online shopping experience" to me. Call me sceptical.

All suggestions very much appreciated. I am not much of an online shopper.

You mean like the big link she has to here, showing big pics of the leathers? http://ruthlessleather.com/ruthlessleather_combos.pdf

Thanks minimax but again, I can't see a clear view of the buckles anywhere. I can see the rings and they are certainly a nice design. I must be a bit pedantic with these things!

Living in a harsh climate I don't want any more hardware on a collar than is necessary. They look great but in general are not what I'm looking for. Like I said, I won't have "studs" on them (I'm sure there is a more technical term for these).

I can't tell you how great it is to have a community of people to ask these questions :D

It's really very difficult to buy anything leather online without being able to feel the quality of it, isn't it?

Hi 1911

If you buy any leather collar or leash from us (K9 Pro), we will happily give you your money back if upon arrival you aren't happy with it (just pop it back in the post to us). However, we have sold literally 1000s of leashes and collars and have never had a customer unhappy with the quality of the leather.

The kinds of dogs we train and handle have to have super quality equipment on them or it could be dangerous for them and the handler, we also supply our leather collars to police departments etc, so strength is a priority.

Let me know if you have any questions. :)

They look well made, strong and practical to me in the pictures, Huski. I do have some Amish leather bits and pieces around and I know they work and work and work. The craftsmanship is excellent and the leather is "plough the fields in this for 50 years" grade. Yes, I know there isn't really such a grade :laugh: What I'm trying to articulate is that I know that it doesn't stretch and thin as quickly as other soft leathers and is definitely "work" quality. But, you already knew that.

Money back if you're unhappy with the quality - you can't ask for more than that. I'm sold.

G'day Megan, thanks for popping in. Unfortunately excess hardware in >45 degree heat and <-5 degree cold isn't appropriate no matter how good it looks or what it costs. We mitigate potential discomforts in any way we can. I must have come across as sounding a bit stingy with my value for money comment. I suppose I am by some standards. I do like to put a "dollar per use" value on things.

That's a lot like what I had in mind, Stan's mum. Not long enough though.

This is a dangerous game I've gotten into. I can see myself ending up with several perfect collars. Better than getting caught short I suppose.

Thanks again everyone.

Has anybody got any experience with Rogue Royalty? They claim to have strong collars.

My Malinois ripped the d-ring clean out of a Rogue Royalty collar. Would never buy from them again.

K9 Pro and Ruthless are both good quality. As are these: http://leerburg.com/leathercollars.htm

As per the original question I wouldn't bother with a leather collar given the conditions you have described. Use a stainless steel Sprenger fur-saver locked back with your leash for walking/training and leave the collar off at home.

What good quality collars are others using on their large breed dogs? I can't count how many web collars I've been through and they are never a fit that I'm satisfied with. I prefer good quality leather collars but won't have "studs" on them. Any recommendations? We are talking big e.g. 48cm round plus enough to secure under the keeper. Appreciate any suggestions.

Do you know any saddlery or leather workers? Some people I know at my local markets custom make collars along with selling different sizes. They made a huge one for a local Boerboel dog I saw which was as round as a tree stump!

Might be an alternative if you cant find what you are searching for in leather. My dogs not large more medium I guess, but she wears a Rogz Bigfoot collar for big breeds which has survived 9 years so far and not looking like it will wear out anytime soon.

I can also vouch for the k9pro collars. My standard poodle wears one - the leather is simple yet beautiful, very strong and the buckles are also extremely strong. It will hold your dog safely, and has a nice 'classic' look.

There are various widths/sizes available. Classic black or classic brown from memory. So for an everyday collar I think they're great. For a fancy collar, shop elsewhere (but from your post I don't think that's what you are after)

If you get the k9pro collar, do yourself a favour and get the matching lead. The leather is so nice on your hands. It will instantly be your favourite lead and you'll never want to use anything else.

And no, I don't work for k9pro or anything like that. I just think their collars and leads are brilliant. Several people I know have bought from them after handling mine at dog club and being surprised how nice the leather feels, while still being really strong.