Applaws Grain Free

I've started buying a few tins of this for when out and about where usual dry kibble, chicken necks etc not so practical.

My dog (13 yo Maltese X) seems to like it and I certainly like the look of the ingredients, a nice change from the usual mush found in tins.

I've fed my dogs the Applaws in the can. They are very expensive (nearly $4) for a tiny tin but Coles have then half price every so often.

The 156g tins are about $2.60 normal price at my local Coles.

Looks very tasty, almost human grade.

Indeed. I had a taste of the chicken breast variety and it was quite ok :)

I bought a 5 pack tonight, here's a snap of the side of the carton:

http://i.imgur.com/W1X5bsT.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Was just coming to ask about this food as I have had some donated to me and was thinking of trying my personal dogs on it and since I dont feed donated food to my personal dogs I wanted to see if it was worth buying. Seems the jury is on both sides of the fence.

If it's $30 per 5.5 kilos you may as well go and spend your money on something with better ingredients.

We recently ran a trial of grain-free 'Stay Loyal' which is a new Australian made kibble for some owners who used Blackhawk, they were happy with it, bigger kibble size too which is ideal for bigger dogs.

http://www.stayloyal.com.au/ and it has higher quality ingredients than BH imo (not taking anything away from BH though). $97 per 15 kilos with free delivery in some cases.

It's all about the ingredients, to me there's no point in feeding this new Coles product with that level of starch in it, all it does is act as a binding agent, it does nothing positive for the dog.

I think once we know better we do better. Sadly products like this new Coles lines make people think the ingredients are better than they are and give the impression of being more affordable...which they are not compared to better quality kibbles available.

Below is the Stay Loyal label.

I agree with this food it is a great food had some donated and used it for a very picky eater foster of mine and he ate it no questions asked and looked great on it.

I am hoping to find a good alternative that isnt so very expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes - foods are either a balanced or complete diet or designed to be a complementary food. This comes from the AAFCO standards.

Just really surprised me. Don't think I've ever noticed it on a canned supermarket pet food product (other than treats of course).

Makes total sense - it says it only has chicken, chicken broth and rice - blind freddy would be able to tell that's not balanced.

Yes - foods are either a balanced or complete diet or designed to be a complementary food. This comes from the AAFCO standards.

Just really surprised me. Don't think I've ever noticed it on a canned supermarket pet food product (other than treats of course).

Makes total sense - it says it only has chicken, chicken broth and rice - blind freddy would be able to tell that's not balanced.

Plenty of Freddies around :) Some people think it is OK to just feed their dog meat. There was one on that Dr Harry show who had a little Pom that was losing all his coat and investigation of the diet revealed he had meat only meals.

Plenty of Freddies around :) Some people think it is OK to just feed their dog meat. There was one on that Dr Harry show who had a little Pom that was losing all his coat and investigation of the diet revealed he had meat only meals.

Well yes - good point - and most Aussies have been trained to think that supermarket pet food is always wholesome and balanced and all you dog needs.

• 10 months later...

Sorry, bit of a thread revival. They've just released a puppy formula and I'm trying to find the ingredients and analysis.

Yep, it's originally a UK company but the food we have here is made in Australia and not imported from the UK. It's not made in Thailand either, going by what the company have told me personally. In any case Thailand has a very high standard of food production. It's one of their key industries and it's regulated strictly, with pet food processing deemed as "human grade". That differs greatly to China.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been buying Applaws grain free dry food for about 6months. I thought it was Aussie made?

Have not tried the can stuf. Feed raw mince usually.

My fussy chihuahua made the switch from Blackhawk chicken dry with no issue. So far so good.

I find the 5.5 kg bag cheaper at Petstock.