Tests On Dog Harnesses Show 100 Percent Failure Rate

Red Fox

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/05/22/consumerwatch-tests-on-dog-harnesses-show-100-percent-failure-rate/

SAN CARLOS (KPIX 5) – A first-of-its-kind crash test for dog harnesses widely used by pet owners showed that none offer adequate protection, with not a single harness passing the test.

The non-profit Center for Pet Safety (CPS) said during its harness tests, crash-test dog dummies turned into projectiles and were even decapitated.

“We tested them to the child safety restraint standard and we experienced a 100% failure rate to protect either the consumer or the dog,” said CPS founder and CEO Lindsey Wolko. “That is a very real concern for consumers.”

The Virginia-based CPS would not disclose which harnesses the nonprofit tested out of fear even fewer people will secure their pets.

Wolko said that, while some manufactures do claim to do their own testing, there is no government standard, which creates unregulated industry that can be dangerous for drivers.

A San Carlos veterinarian told KPIX 5 she has seen what can happen to a pet in a car accident. “Broken legs, broken jaws, soft tissue injury, it can be pretty traumatic,” said Dr. Kim Haddad.

But while injuries are much worse when drivers let their dogs roam free inside a vehicle, simply using a harness often isn’t enough. In some cases, they can be just as deadly.

“Something is better than nothing, but again, it is only going to be as good as the manufacturer, the fit and the user application of the product,” said Haddad.

According to the American Automobile Association, 20% of dog owners admit to allowing their pets to ride unrestrained inside their vehicle.

While having your dog in your lap as you drive violates distracted driving laws, no state currently requires drivers to buckle up their pets.

Some states have proposed bills that could require harnesses, but CPS worries such laws would create a false sense of security as owners assume if a product is legislated, it meets some kind of safety standard.

CPS is now calling for standardized testing similar to child safety seats and for lawmakers to educate themselves on safety standards before legislating the restraints.

One auto manufacturer, Subaru, is currently partnering with CPS to create a testing standard.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

This is why my dogs usually travel restrained in the boot area unless I have a boot full of stuff. I've never thought those harnesses would do much for the dog and thought their main purpose was to protect the people but this has confirmed my thoughts about them being too flimsy for that even. The problem is that you can't strap dogs into a seat like you can with a baby, they will never be firm enough, that's why a crate is such a good idea for travel.

I would really like to see a list of the harnesses that they tested, and if they testes these that I have previously considered buying, since our dogs find the roof of the cargo area too low and their crates are too large to fit in the car.

http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Ruff-Rider-Roadie-SM2.html

http://waggle.com.au/petbuckle-b18/travel-harness-p266

Edited by futuredogtrainer

My dogs are restrained in crates or if using a harness, the range on the lead part is extremely restricted. My lead clips into the seatbelt clip too, as I don't trust the seatbelt itself to not have give.

T.

Looks like they only tested four harnesses?

They are refusing to publish which ones they tested, which isn't much good to anyone. I don't have the room in my vehicle for crates for all 3 dogs, and I hate the idea of my dogs travelling in the cargo area - which is effectively crumple zone!

Have been looking at the Bergan harnesses on CR, which seems to be very good and doesn't look like any of the ones tested in the article above.

There was a test on one of the current affairs show, and I think the results are on youtube, where they tested all the "popular" harnesses, and dog crates, and they all failed. Quite frightening,really. Sorry, no idea how to find it again. :)

Even if they do fail in high impact crashes they are better than nothing! In those crashes survival is pretty low no matter what, but low impact and a bit over they will work as they should.

I have a locked tool box in my van tethered by chain as well as bolted down, I have no doubt in a high impact crash that the bolts will pull out and the chain will fail and the box and contents will be a missile.

Edited by GeckoTree

Even if they do fail in high impact crashes they are better than nothing!

Not necessarily. If the straps are narrow they concentrate the force over a small area, thus increasing the likelihood of snapping bones or decapitating. Going airborne might be better if the dog ended out hitting a flat surface.

mine are just tied into the boot with their collars...i know this isnt ideal or safe in case of accident but i dont have any other way to keep them in there my crate is too big and i cant afford to custom anything atm :(

I've got a bergan too.

I like that it has wide strapping, and it doesn't rely on plastic snap buckles to hold the dog - it has a webbing strap with two mountain climbing grade swing clips - one of which I clip through the loop that holds the seatbelt clip and the other end goes through two webbing loops that are part of the harness.

It could still fail - as it is difficult to get a snug fit that is still comfortable for the dog. And it needs some stitches through the webbing stuff to stop it coming loose in the adjustable bits.

Still better than nothing. When I've had to do emergency stops - it has worked fine - tho that's not the same as hitting a tree doing 60km/h. That's going to be bad no matter what the dog is wearing.

PS I had a Kra m ar one - and the snap buckle on that broke when I was strapping the dog in. So I'd rate those as useless.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I bought a Champion restraint system a couple of years ago. It came with two restraint straps that I attached to the child seat anchor points. It seems strong but is very fiddly to attach as you need to clip each strap to both D rings on the harness (the plastic buckles on the harness are non load-bearing). Also I found once that the dog had managed to wriggle out of the harness.

There is an interesting crash test video here by what appears to be the German equivalent of our auto orgs (NRMA, RACV etc.). Unfortunately it is in German.

I guess a very simple way to amateur test it, is to get something that weighs the same as your dog and drop it off a balcony (and film that) and make sure nobody is walking anywhere near underneath.

I have heard filling up a 10 litre paper bag (like flour comes in) with water and dropping that off a balcony will crack concrete (and probably people's skulls).

So find something that weighs 20kg and drop that off the balcony - with a (Mountaineering rope) attached - different lengths of fall - would be equivalent to different speed crashes.