Pet Insurance

Pockets

Hello everyone

Was looking at investing in some pet insurance, but there are so many these days and not everyone offers the same things or covers all vet costs/emergencies etc.

I was just after peoples opinions on pet insurance companies, which ones have found to be better etc.

In the recent 12 months I have had a dog with cancer (x rays, blood tests etc), leg amputee, a dog with a broken leg and most recently a dog admitted to emergency for Water Intoxication :(

I think its time I looked at the options of pet insurance :)

any advice is greatly appreciated :)

The best thing is to do a search.

Basically there are two options - PetPlan or everyone else. PetPlan is the only one underwritten by Allianz, everyone else is underwritten by Holland so their cover is pretty much the same.

There are a trillion threads here on Pet Insurance, so do a search and see what people have said.

If it's for a dog that's had any of the above conditions, they will be considered pre-existing and not covered (probably only for 12 months with PetPlan, possibly for life with anyone else).

Edited by minimax

+1 for PetPlan - my research was mainly here and so many people were singing their praises in comparison to other pet insurance so that was good enough for me

What on earth is water intoxication??

• 1 month later...

I've had several claims with PetPlan for the same dog, continuing condition. Took about 3 or 4 weeks first time, been quicker follow up claims. I've never compared how much I got back to how much I spent, I was always happy with what I was reimbursed.

Mazda is insured with PetPlan and they have paid out both times he has eaten something and needed stomach surgery. The first claim took longer than the second. I would recommend them based on my experiences.

We're with Petplan, and have had 3 claims in the last couple of months. First two they paid within 2-3 weeks of receiving the forms - and paid everything bar the excess, Actually they didn't pay for drontal, even though it was used to treat Giardia rather than as a wormer. I probably could have argued, but it wasn't worth it when they'd just given me a cheque for $900 :)

The current claim has only just been submitted, but I'm not expecting any problems.

We're with Petplan, and have had 3 claims in the last couple of months. First two they paid within 2-3 weeks of receiving the forms - and paid everything bar the excess, Actually they didn't pay for drontal, even though it was used to treat Giardia rather than as a wormer. I probably could have argued, but it wasn't worth it when they'd just given me a cheque for $900 :)

The current claim has only just been submitted, but I'm not expecting any problems.

Before submitting my most recently claim, which includes a routine flea treatment that We used as a treatment for mites (and not one I use as a routine flea treatment ) I emailed and asked their process for things like that. They said if the vet specifically wrote that it was a treatment for the conditions being claimed, they would pay it. So I'll be interested to see I'd they do in my case as I have that in writing from one of their people.

I claimed with Petplan about 6 months ago for Luka, when he had eaten tonnes of dirt :(

Claim process was slow and I rang up after 6 weeks and got absolutely nowhere with the person on the phone. So i emailed my disgust at the phone call and how long the process was taking. Got a call back within 24 hours and claim was processed the same day :thumbsup: Recieved complete claim less the excess. I think further claims will be quicker because they now have a history on Luka.

If I ever have to claim for my 5year old resuce husky i think I will be waiting about 6 months, while they attempt to get her history. :(

Still wouldn't go with anyone else though. Petplan cover is too good.

Still wouldn't go with anyone else though. Petplan cover is too good.

and they allow claims for chiro and acupuncture!

And things don't turn into pre-existing conditions after a year (never understood the point of all the other insurers if they wouldn't cover something after a year)

Im with RSPCA (which is Holland) and they've been great with the 2 claims i've had to date. I'll be switching to PetPlan soon due to some 'stories' i've been hearing about the RSPCA of late. The PetPlan premium for the exact same dog is more expensive than with RSPCA so i'm just waiting until I can fork out for it.

Before submitting my most recently claim, which includes a routine flea treatment that We used as a treatment for mites (and not one I use as a routine flea treatment ) I emailed and asked their process for things like that. They said if the vet specifically wrote that it was a treatment for the conditions being claimed, they would pay it. So I'll be interested to see I'd they do in my case as I have that in writing from one of their people.

Good to know for future reference minimax - I figured there would be a way around it, but I was just sick of drama and decided I couldn't be bothered chasing it up (not drama with petplan - just general drama!) I was probably due another $50, given there was the initial drontal treatment, then a follow-up 2 weeks later, so it would probably be worth it if I got motivated.

BCNut - from what I can tell the increased premium provides an awful lot more cover for your extra $$. Petplan covers everything bar your excess, compared to an 80% payout, which would be a very big difference if you had a $10k claim... $125 out of pocket vs $2k out of pocket...

They can do, but only if the vet agrees - cos they're pretty much extending you credit while your claim is assessed.

My first two I just paid on my credit card, but this latest one the vets offered - so I just paid them the excess amount, and they are submitting the claim to petplan themselves. I have to agree to pay anything that ends up not being paid.